Vikings vs. Texans: Good, Bad, and Ugly

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings vs. Texans: Good, Bad, and Ugly

Post by TSonn »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:49 pm
TSonn wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:22 pm Does Jefferson already make more of an impact on a game than Diggs did?
Nope, they are both similar
True. Clearly the emergence of JJ has helped Cousins (obviously) and Thielen. But I just think JJ is a bigger receiver who seems like he can be a guy who take the top off, run crossers, and be a possession guy. Even though Diggs was great with contested catches I'm not sure he was ever a possession guy.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Cousins needs to find his groove. He's always been a streaky player, but he'll need to be better if they really want to put a run together.

He had a few nice throws, but overall, I was disappointed. As Brock and Greg Jennings pointed out, he had Jefferson on the corner, but held onto it for a sack. This happens too much. Sure, he strung together some completions there after, but then when he has a chance to close out the game, he severely underthrows Thielen. These are the same bugaboos that you don't want to see from a veteran franchise QB in his prime, and has haunted him his whole career (crunch time, for one). He'll get the pass because he did just enough, but if they're trying to go score for score with Seattle next week to keep it a game, he'll need to be on point.

I'll peg that as bad. Harsh criticism, I know, but warranted, in my opinion.

The good was the defense. I thought they improved greatly. Still lots of work, but im actually getting optimistic about these CBs.

Dalvin is honorable mention, only because it's expected. He's great.

The ugly was Harry the Hitman. It was definitely the right call. It's not the old NFL and he knows better. Sure, there's some subjectivity to it and it definitely isn't a consistent call in the League (the ejection aspect), but i really do think the refs and/or NY got it right, relative to the letter of the law. It could've cost the Vikings the game with how Iloka first started, but I think Harris led them and player-coached on the fly with Iloka. Harris probably another under the radar "good" from today.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:13 pm Good: They won!
Bad: I was unable to see or listen to the game (so naturally—they won).
Ugly: U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi...
Not sure if it was because you were busy or just couldn’t find a stream, if the latter, let me know I have a site I found that’s worked pretty well in finding games. Anyone else too, after Reddit NFL streams got taken down I had some issues week 1.

If you were just shooing kids off your lawn, I can’t help :tongue:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It sounded like Zimmer let out the reins in this game. In his presser he told “Koobs” to just sling it and I think that helped as it wasn’t so much about trying to not make mistakes as it was F-it we’re 0-3, let’s just try to make plays.

As for Harry, I think the ejection was really more for his safety. Sometimes you need a drastic thing like that to happen to change your style. Not that it was a malicious hit or Smith is a dirty player, absolutely not, but dude that’s the kind of hit that ended Shazier’s career. If he needs to sit out half a game to learn, so be it. Now what I don’t agree with is the rule is not applied consistently. The NFL needs to be more consistent like college. And if you get two in a game, like Clowney last week, you should be tossed out automatically.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:41 pm Little more on Iloka:
Vikings safety depth has been an issue dating back to training camp. Team called George Iloka up off PS yesterday after he had been practicing at nickel all week, per Zimmer. "I asked him on the sideline if he knows what he’s doing at safety," Zimmer said.
https://twitter.com/courtneyrcronin/sta ... 87233?s=21

I have so many questions. Obviously the big one is why do you have no one practicing at backup safety? But shouldn’t you know if your guy knows what he’s doing? Isn’t that literally what a head coaches job is? You know everyone’s strengths/weaknesses and build a roster accordingly. You don’t ask a guy IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME, hey man, you know what you’re doing?

I realize this was a weird week for the Vikings and hopefully that’s the reason but it’s a little scary insight into the lack of foresight on Zimmer’s part.
Agreed. It’s sad but Iloka use to be a stud but fell off quick and man he looked lost out there
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:47 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:14 pm

It was not. That same exact hit happened in the TB game. It was actually worse than smiths. Perfect head to head hit. That got an unnecessary roughness call. The announcers in our game said that call comes from NY. If that’s the case, how do smith get ejected but the guy in the TB game doesnt? There is no consistency to it and yes it was a terrible call
If Harrison was on another team, you would agree it is the right call, stop being a homer :roll:
Lol ok man. I’m not being a homer at all. And my guess is you didn’t watch any of the TB game so you have zero clue what I’m talking about. It’s not as much about smiths hit specifically but his inconsistent “New York” is on determining what is valid for ejection and what’s not. Trust me when I say this, the TB hit was much worse, and no ejected. A true helmet to helmet on a pass over the middle.

So please, keep the sarcastic comments to yourself
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

TSonn wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:22 pm Does Jefferson already make more of an impact on a game than Diggs did?
I can tell you that teams 100% have to account for him now in a big way. However, this does nothing but tick me off more that Zim had Bisi starting for the first two games. And I literally said from week 1 on that it was ridiculous and that Jefferson needed to be in. Say he "wasnt ready" or whatever anyone wants but bottom line is, even a guy like Jefferson that could have been "behind" a bit on the playbook is still better than Bisi Johnson who fully knows the playbook, I dont care what anyone says lol

Think about it....

Since Jefferson has been starting (weeks 3-4) we're averaging 30.5 points per game on offense

When Bisi started (weeks 1-2) we were averaging 22.5 and a lot of the points in the GB came in the 2nd half when we were getting beat up.

It is opening lanes for Cook because there are now two guys you have to worry about vs. 1 in the first two weeks.

Jefferson is 100% the real deal. I've been saying it all along. Only WR I wanted over him during the draft was Lamb but when Lamb went I was all about Jefferson. Given how he's played so far, in a few years this guy could very well put Diggs to shame.
-Chazz Palminteri
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Good:

Justin Jefferson proving me wrong about this year's WR draft class. I thought they were all about even and picking a WR in the first round was a waste. The kid has already made up for the franchise selecting Troy Williamson/Cordarrelle Patterson/Laquon Treadwell. Love the dancing into the end zone bit too.

The Bad:

Lack of pass rush over and over and over and over....AGAIN. The secondary is already bad, this is making things so much worst.

The Ugly:

The Vikings chances of finally landing the franchise QB. The best this year's team could hope for is getting in the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round. Then we are stuck with Cousins, Zimm and Spielman all over again.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:48 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:47 pm

If Harrison was on another team, you would agree it is the right call, stop being a homer :roll:
Lol ok man. I’m not being a homer at all. And my guess is you didn’t watch any of the TB game so you have zero clue what I’m talking about. It’s not as much about smiths hit specifically but his inconsistent “New York” is on determining what is valid for ejection and what’s not. Trust me when I say this, the TB hit was much worse, and no ejected. A true helmet to helmet on a pass over the middle.

So please, keep the sarcastic comments to yourself
I am not a sarcastic person and I can not stand people who are sarcastic, nice try though!
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Justin Jefferson is currently on pace to accrue 1,392 receiving yards. Which is 81 yards behind Bill Groman's 1,473 yard record for most receiving yards in a season as a rookie; Let's say Jefferson got 100 yards in the first two games too, his average would have then been 119.5 Yards per game. That would have been on pace to shatter the record with 1,912 yards. In fact, if Justin Jefferson gets a 200-yard game next week... he'd be on pace for 1,753 yards.

So yeah, all pure speculation, but that Justin Jefferson kid is something else, and he might be the next best receiver coming into the league since Randy Moss. Let's just hope he stays a lifelong Viking. I still think he'll probably end up winning NFC Rookie of the Year.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:35 pm
Mothman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:13 pm Good: They won!
Bad: I was unable to see or listen to the game (so naturally—they won).
Ugly: U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi...
Not sure if it was because you were busy or just couldn’t find a stream, if the latter, let me know I have a site I found that’s worked pretty well in finding games. Anyone else too, after Reddit NFL streams got taken down I had some issues week 1.

If you were just shooing kids off your lawn, I can’t help :tongue:
I posted a link in hidden thread. They moved the reddit streams.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Good: JJ. DC. OL.
Bad: Out of the Trevor race. Watson. What happened to him?
Ugly: No depth on defense. Almost gave up the lead in the end.

Jefferson looks like a natural out there. Nice too see. Having two options should open up the passing which should help the offense.

For the first time, the Vikings didn't look like the worst team on the field. Texans look bad.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:20 pm The ejection was the right call unfortunately
Just watching the clip. If that's the right call here is something wrong with the rule. Harrison is essentially making the tackle from a defensive position. The other options available to him at that moment were (1) to matador and let the guy score or (2) get trucked, hope he doesnt get knocked out, and hope the TE trips over him. There was no fourth option on that route up the seam from where he was at that moment. Stupid rule.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Is it me or every time Cousins connects with Rudolph, it seems like the most spectacular play ever. Too bad it's so rare.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:58 am Is it me or every time Cousins connects with Rudolph, it seems like the most spectacular play ever. Too bad it's so rare.
I think with how slow Rudy is at this point, for Cousins to connect with him it HAS to be spectacular.

The guy still has value inside the 20, but outside the 20 he is a below average TE.