Titanic failure game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Titanic failure game thread

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 pm Missed this game, which sounds like it was a good move. Cousins is so goofy and boring that my expectations are terribly low unless circumstances are perfect. In a season like this one, he inspires zero hope.
Believe it our not the game was entertaining. I would have paid to be in the stands despite the outcome.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 pm Missed this game, which sounds like it was a good move. Cousins is so goofy and boring that my expectations are terribly low unless circumstances are perfect. In a season like this one, he inspires zero hope.
The sad thing is you could say that about every year he has been here.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Mothman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:17 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:09 pmYou hit the nail on the head. There is an escape route that he failes to recongnize or use. He lacks an elite feel for the pocket and thats why he fails to help his teammates out too often in these situations. Dalvin might not have a hole playside because the online failed to nail a key block but his abilities allows him to cutback and still gain yards. Our QB does not have the ability to consistently make up for other's mistakes.
I agree, which is why he's overpaid and it was foolish to give him an extension. He's only a long term solution at QB if the long term goal is mediocrity.
At best we are in the NFCCG with him. At worst, we miss the playoffs. That is the Cousins window.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 pm
Believe it our not the game was entertaining. I would have paid to be in the stands despite the outcome.
Putting Cousins aside, a league where a QB can throw for 14 touchdowns through 3 weeks, or 50 touchdowns in one year, is of little interest. Very boring. The best a defense can do is capitalize on an offenses mistakes, but its increasingly difficult to force the issue from the defensive side of the ball. I just think the NFL is a crappy product at this point. HS football is so much more interesting. Wish there was a decent professional league to follow, and I think there is a market for it, but as of now, its all offense all the time and the game isn't 1/10th as interesting as it used to be.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Putting Cousins aside, a league where a QB can throw for 14 touchdowns through 3 weeks, or 50 touchdowns in one year, is of little interest. Very boring. The best a defense can do is capitalize on an offenses mistakes, but its increasingly difficult to force the issue from the defensive side of the ball. I just think the NFL is a crappy product at this point. HS football is so much more interesting. Wish there was a decent professional league to follow, and I think there is a market for it, but as of now, its all offense all the time and the game isn't 1/10th as interesting as it used to be.
It's really telling to see these very high scoring games around the league right now too. In a year where there was extremely limited in person practices, preseason, etc. and you see offenses just tearing it up and so many defenses just being sieves. Traditionally defenses have been farther along than offenses at the beginning of the year or in preseason too. It's definitely a different game. Although I will say, there have been less flags than you have been seeing in the last handful of years, so that's been nice. That is, unless you're watching a Saints game....
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

FWIW, anyone that thinks our OL isnt that bad and Cousins was the main problem Sunday....

Dru Samia's pass blocking grade vs. the Titans..... 1.4 :shock:

Yes you read that correctly.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:48 am FWIW, anyone that thinks our OL isnt that bad and Cousins was the main problem Sunday....

He gave up 6 pressures and was the worst guard in football. The rest of the Oline wasn't that bad outside of O'Neil who is struggling with the incompetence next to him.

I still don't understand how Dennison is still employed. The Vikings need a scapegoat and he is clearly not doing his job. 0 development from anyone on this line.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:15 pm
In the end, the reality of the situation is clear: the interior of the OL is lousy and Cousins is an overpaid, middle-of-the-pack QB whose shortcomings make a him a poor fit behind this line. There's plenty of blame to go around.

this is the perfect summary, right here.
If you can't afford a decent OL because of your QB contract, that QB better be able to justify his contract and be good enough to overcome a bad OL.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:41 pm

I agree. Goodell changed the rules to make it more appealing to the masses and increase revenue. But long time NFL fans don't like it, and the masses are fickle. Good move to boost profits in the short term, but probably bad in the long term. Typical American CEO.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:48 am FWIW, anyone that thinks our OL isnt that bad and Cousins was the main problem Sunday....

Well that explains the inexplicable - why Elflein was the starter in Week 1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

It still doesn't explain Kline or why they didn't do anything else to address interior OL this offseason. Mind boggling.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 am

Well that explains the inexplicable - why Elflein was the starter in Week 1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

It still doesn't explain Kline or why they didn't do anything else to address interior OL this offseason. Mind boggling.
I mean they did draft Ezra in the 2nd round intending for him to become a guard but he hasnt even touched the field. Can Ezra really be worse than a 1.4 pass blocking rating?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 am

The Rick Spielman Center for Kids Who Can't Block Good
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:18 am

He gave up 6 pressures and was the worst guard in football. The rest of the Oline wasn't that bad outside of O'Neil who is struggling with the incompetence next to him.

I still don't understand how Dennison is still employed. The Vikings need a scapegoat and he is clearly not doing his job. 0 development from anyone on this line.
There were questions from many about Dennison from the outset and he's living up to it. He's only still around because of Kubiak.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

And now apparently the titans have a corona outbreak
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Boon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:39 pm And now apparently the titans have a corona outbreak
Yes, there's a thread about that here:
http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... =1&t=37954