Imagine the possibility (Mr. Lawrence)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Imagine the possibility (Mr. Lawrence)

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:46 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:01 am
That was a bad post on my part. As was pointed out it was the kids first start. Hopefully he'll develop and that will solve a problem for us. It looks like this season will be rebuild. Same with our two young CBs they are first year starters and our current DL provide zero help. That's mainly injury problems. The only positive is watching the young guys. Jefferson has shown a nice burst but he's a rookie and has a long way to go. I would like to see I Smith do something and play more. He's our future. Perhaps he will later on.
No worries, man. With the way the Vikings are playing, I'm just trying to keep things light. Almost none of my posts this week have been serious.

I like that Samia is getting a chance. It's one thing to work on technique in practice and training camp, where there really are no consequences. It's another to be in the line of fire during a game. That's where Samia is going to learn the most. I think all these young guys need as much playing time as they can get, especially given the cancellation of live OTAs and no preseason.

Unfortunately giving young players a chance isn't Zimmer's M.O. It's also not in Cousins' DNA. All I hear about is how Kirk prefers to throw to guys he trusts. News flash, Kirk ... teams are figuring that out. They're gonna double Thielen and put their best cover safety on Rudolph. You're gonna have to throw to someone else once in awhile.

Dang ... that was serious. I need to lighten up.

Right but we are comparing a young guys going against the a top DT vs. what Pat has done against anything.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Anyone know the specifics of how much it would cost to get rid of Cousins? Reading another forum, it sounds like it'll cost $41M (cap hit) if the Vikings cut Cousins next year, if not, they'll pay $76M to keep him the next 2 years.

Not too thrilled on the Cook extension either.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 am Anyone know the specifics of how much it would cost to get rid of Cousins? Reading another forum, it sounds like it'll cost $41M (cap hit) if the Vikings cut Cousins next year, if not, they'll pay $76M to keep him the next 2 years.

Yeah it is $41 million but if Vikings wait until next year after June 1st, it would be a $60 million cap hit
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:17 am
808vikingsfan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 am Anyone know the specifics of how much it would cost to get rid of Cousins? Reading another forum, it sounds like it'll cost $41M (cap hit) if the Vikings cut Cousins next year, if not, they'll pay $76M to keep him the next 2 years.

Yeah it is $41 million but if Vikings wait until next year after June 1st, it would be a $60 million cap hit
Use picks to get rid of him.

Shop Harris, Harrison Smith, Rudolph, reiff, and cook.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:38 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:17 am

Use picks to get rid of him.

Shop Harris, Harrison Smith, Rudolph, reiff, and cook.
If the contract only stipulates Cousins being on the Vikings for that 2nd year of the extension becoming fully guaranteed, you wouldn't need to use picks to trade him and could get something in return for him.

He would cost any team that traded for him 21 million next year, which isn't a horrible number for a QB needy team. However, if the team that trades for him is on the hook for his 2022 salary as well, I don't think there are any amount of picks you could give up to get a team to trade for his contract. 35 million is a lot for a QB and would be the 6th highest cap hit in 2022.

That extension was such a horrible decision and to this day I don't understand the thought process. It was almost like Rick felt he needed to give Cousins an extension to prove that the original signing wasn't a mistake. The timing was just so fricken stupid.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

This thread is cute, as epic as Mr. Lawrence may be as our future QB, I truly have my doubts..

1. With the extended absence of CMC, the CAR Panthers are the worst NFC team in the NFL. Way too young and a completely nonexistent young defense (almost like ours). This is a COVID season so who knows, CAR front office might just shut CMC off the rest of the season.

2. Trading up for the #1 overall pick under Spielman’s guidance is not in his wheelhouse, especially with our holes on defense (primarily NT, among others).

3. With Kubiak’s pistol offense and how we run through Dalvin Cook for the next 5 seasons, Mr. Lawrence pro-style albeit awesome, wouldn’t mesh perfectly with MIN’s offense and their amazing set of RBs. I’d rather (and so do others) have Trey Lance or Justin Fields. Dynamic playmakers with the arm and especially through the scramble.
Vikecycle
Practice Squad

Post by Vikecycle »

kidfozzy. wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 pm This thread is cute, as epic as Mr. Lawrence may be as our future QB, I truly have my doubts..

1. With the extended absence of CMC, the CAR Panthers are the worst NFC team in the NFL. Way too young and a completely nonexistent young defense (almost like ours). This is a COVID season so who knows, CAR front office might just shut CMC off the rest of the season.

2. Trading up for the #1 overall pick under Spielman’s guidance is not in his wheelhouse, especially with our holes on defense (primarily NT, among others).

3. With Kubiak’s pistol offense and how we run through Dalvin Cook for the next 5 seasons, Mr. Lawrence pro-style albeit awesome, wouldn’t mesh perfectly with MIN’s offense and their amazing set of RBs. I’d rather (and so do others) have Trey Lance or Justin Fields. Dynamic playmakers with the arm and especially through the scramble.
If they get a top 5 pick, not Spielman nor Kubiak will likely be in Minny this coming draft.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

kidfozzy. wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 pm This thread is cute, as epic as Mr. Lawrence may be as our future QB, I truly have my doubts..

1. Until we win a game, WE are at least tied for the worst team in football.

2. As others have said, if we get the No. 1 pick, it's unlikely Spielman or Zimmer will still be here. Also, Michael Pierce will be back next season.

3. Again, I'd be shocked if Kubiak, Spielman, Zimmer, et. al. are here next season. And by the way, Lawrence is every bit the runner those guys are (see his 67-yard TD run against Fields and OSU last year). He also WINS. LSU beat Clemson last year because they outscored the Tigers. Lawrence played his butt off. That's the only game he's ever lost in college. Trey Lance ... I want no part of a small-school QB. I want somebody who has played top competition in a pro-style system. That's either Lawrence or Fields, and I just don't trust OSU quarterbacks.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:42 pm

2. As others have said, if we get the No. 1 pick, it's unlikely Spielman or Zimmer will still be here. Also, Michael Pierce will be back next season.

3. Again, I'd be shocked if Kubiak, Spielman, Zimmer, et. al. are here next season. And by the way, Lawrence is every bit the runner those guys are (see his 67-yard TD run against Fields and OSU last year). He also WINS. LSU beat Clemson last year because they outscored the Tigers. Lawrence played his butt off. That's the only game he's ever lost in college. Trey Lance ... I want no part of a small-school QB. I want somebody who has played top competition in a pro-style system. That's either Lawrence or Fields, and I just don't trust OSU quarterbacks.
What's your guess on final record at this point?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I don't see the Vikings ending up at the top (I guess by which I mean the bottom :lol:) at the end of the season. Just seeing bits and pieces of the Giants and the Jets, yikes, one city could host two 0-16 teams this year....and the Broncos may eventually have to suit up concessions workers from the stadium with their injury situation.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:22 pm

What's your guess on final record at this point?
Interesting you should ask. I've been thinking a lot about this.

Let's go game by game.

10/4 at Houston: Might be our best chance for a win before the bye. They've played a nightmare schedule thus far, which might be a reason they're 0-3. But they also can't run the ball, so we might have a chance defensively. I still think we lose this to move to 0-4.

10/11 at Seattle: The Vikings, as they're playing now, have no chance against the Seahawks. 0-5.

10/18 vs. Atlanta: The Falcons are a team that should be better than its record. They can score in bunches. 0-6.

10/25 BYE: Finally, we don't lose!

11/1 at Green Bay: The Packers are averaging 40 ppg. They put up 37 last night at N.O. without Davante Adams. 0-7.

11/8 vs. Detroit: This is hard to say, but even Detroit is better than we are. However, they are the Lions. We win. 1-7.

11/16 at Chicago: We typically lose at Soldier Field when we're good. Kirk Cousins regularly plays like Spergon Wynn on Monday night. 1-8.

11/22 vs. Dallas: This team might put up 60 points against our defense. 1-9.

11/29 vs. Carolina: Finally, a team that might be as bad as we are. Sorry Teddy. We win. 2-9.

12/6 vs. Jacksonville: A winning streak? I think so. 3-9.

12/13 at Tampa Bay: By December, Tom Brady will be using Rob Gronkowski as more than a blocker. 3-10.

12/20 vs. Chicago: The Bears will likely have something to play for. We won't. 3-11.

12/25 at New Orleans: Bwahahahahaha! 3-12.

1/3 at Detroit: Neither team has anything to play for. Both teams about to fire their coaches. Flip a coin. Tails, we lose. 3-13.

There it is. We finish 3-13, just good enough to allow the Giants or the Jets or some other hapless team to move ahead of us in the draft.

In further predictions ...

Mike Zimmer's eye flares up again, forcing him to resign after the season. He interviews with both CBS and Fox to be an analyst but isn't offered a job when the only analysis he offers is, "Looks like they got some things to fix."

Rick Spielman is promoted to President of the Vikings. Nobody actually knows what that means, but the Wilfs pay him really well.

The Jets, who finish an NFL worst 1-15 appear to be a lock to draft Trevor Lawrence. But ownership, stricken with a severe case of Mitchell Trubisky Disease, hold onto hope that Sam Darnold is a potential Hall of Famer. They trade the top pick to the Vikings.

New Vikings GM George Paton, elevated from VP of Player Personnel (because the Wilfs really value a GM who has trained under Rick Spielman) reluctantly settles on Trevor Lawrence with the No. 1 pick when his own family threatens to sue him if the Vikings draft another corner.

Lawrence starts the season as Kirk Cousins' understudy but comes off the bench in Week 3 against the Lions when Cousins throws his 8th pick of the season.

Lawrence rallies the winless Vikings and erases a 20-point second-half deficit to take the lead against the Lions, only to see the Vikings lose by two late touchdowns when former Ravens DC and new head coach Wink Martindale (the Wilfs hold fast to the idea that defense wins championships) goes into the Zimmer Shell, the popular new name for the prevent defense, with 12 minutes to play.

At the press conference after the game, Martindale channels his inner Herm Edwards as he explains his conservative defensive strategy: "You PLAY to NOT LOSE the GAME."

Martindale loses his mind at a press conference four weeks later, jumping over the podium and beating the hell out of poor old Sid Hartman, who keeps insisting Martindale is the host of Tic Tac Dough.

Paton fires Martindale and replaces him with Adam Zimmer. Vikings fans jump off the Capella Tower.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I do not think Wilfs have the guts to fire Zimmer and Speilman so they are staying even if Vikings go 0-16
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pmIn further predictions ...

Mike Zimmer's eye flares up again, forcing him to resign after the season. He interviews with both CBS and Fox to be an analyst but isn't offered a job when the only analysis he offers is, "Looks like they got some things to fix."

Rick Spielman is promoted to President of the Vikings. Nobody actually knows what that means, but the Wilfs pay him really well.

The Jets, who finish an NFL worst 1-15 appear to be a lock to draft Trevor Lawrence. But ownership, stricken with a severe case of Mitchell Trubisky Disease, hold onto hope that Sam Darnold is a potential Hall of Famer. They trade the top pick to the Vikings.

New Vikings GM George Paton, elevated from VP of Player Personnel (because the Wilfs really value a GM who has trained under Rick Spielman) reluctantly settles on Trevor Lawrence with the No. 1 pick when his own family threatens to sue him if the Vikings draft another corner.

Lawrence starts the season as Kirk Cousins' understudy but comes off the bench in Week 3 against the Lions when Cousins throws his 8th pick of the season.

Lawrence rallies the winless Vikings and erases a 20-point second-half deficit to take the lead against the Lions, only to see the Vikings lose by two late touchdowns when former Ravens DC and new head coach Wink Martindale (the Wilfs hold fast to the idea that defense wins championships) goes into the Zimmer Shell, the popular new name for the prevent defense, with 12 minutes to play.

At the press conference after the game, Martindale channels his inner Herm Edwards as he explains his conservative defensive strategy: "You PLAY to NOT LOSE the GAME."

Martindale loses his mind at a press conference four weeks later, jumping over the podium and beating the hell out of poor old Sid Hartman, who keeps insisting Martindale is the host of Tic Tac Dough.

Paton fires Martindale and replaces him with Adam Zimmer. Vikings fans jump off the Capella Tower.
:lol: :appl:

I really enjoyed that! Thanks for the laughs.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:40 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pmIn further predictions ...

:lol: :appl:

I really enjoyed that! Thanks for the laughs.
You're welcome. In a year like this, we need a little levity.

Also, you must be old enough to get the Wink Martindale/game show host joke. :lol:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Trade into it. Just do it.
Last edited by Boon on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.