Titanic failure game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Titanic failure game thread

Post by StumpHunter »

On paper this game looks like a disaster for the Vikings, but I think there is an opportunity for the offense to get back on track this Sunday, even if the defense has little chance for success with the number of injuries and just overall terrible play.

Titans are 2-0 and the Vikings are 0-2, but the Vikings have played what appear to be two solid to great teams while the Titans have played 2 teams that will be picking in the top 10 in this years draft.

Week 1 Drew Lock was moving the ball well early, but struggled late when he realized he wasn't a very good QB. TN really struggled offensively in that game, and Denver isn't exactly an elite defense itself. The final score was 16-13, giving TN a very unimpressive win.

Week 2 the Titans offense got going against a pretty bad Jaguars team that just got rolled by the Dolphins Thursday, but their defense made Minshew look like an all-pro. That should give us all hope, except the Colts did the same thing prior to us playing them and turned things around when they played us.

Reasons to hope:
#1 - The Titans secondary isn't very good, Cousins historically feasts on bad defenses and this appears to be just that. There is the possibility we played two top 10 pass defenses week 1 and week 2, and that has not really gone well for Cousins since he became a Viking. I think there is little chance this Titans defense is top 10, so expect at least a solid performance tomorrow.

#2 - Tannehill isn't a very good QB. He is solid and takes advantage of bad defenses similar to our QB, but without Brown I can see him struggling. I doubt it will happen because this secondary when healthy hasn't been able to cover team's #4 WRs let alone their #2 and #3 options..

#3 - The Vikings are desperate for a win, and the Titans might be overlooking us. They have Pitt coming up and the Vikings look like a pushover. Maybe the added desperation we have will give us a little extra they aren't ready for.

#4 - Their run defense isn't that good and Cook should have a big game. They are rated 24th in run defense ahead of GB and...oh dang.

#5 - Their pass rush is kind of poopy. It is actually graded worse than ours at 28.

Reasons we have no chance:
#1 - Derrick Henry is going to feast on the interior of this line and it won't matter how good Tannehill is or isn't.

#2 through #257 - We have looked like one of the worst teams in football these past two games on both sides of the ball.
Last edited by StumpHunter on Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Attack on Titans or Titanic failure game thread

Post by S197 »

What’s up with Henry this year? He went from unstoppable to pedestrian.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:21 pm What’s up with Henry this year? He went from unstoppable to pedestrian.
All of those 2019 hits on his body might have caught up to him.

He is still averaging 100 yards per game I believe.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:21 pm What’s up with Henry this year? He went from unstoppable to pedestrian.
He leads the NFL in carries and is second in yards.

Somewhat better than pedestrian.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Losers.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Tank is still in effect
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Titanic failure game thread

Post by StumpHunter »

Changed the title for the loss, but there was A LOT positive about this loss.

JJ showed that the Vikings were idiotic to start Johnson over him. Starting a borderline #3 WR over one of the most dynamic rookie WRs in the NFL is indefensible.

The defense played better than I thought they would with how injured they were. Ngakoue looked good and the Dline got some pressure. Secondary is a mess outside of safety.

Cook is worth every penny if he continues to play like this. He is our offense.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:59 am

Thanks Kapp. I guess he's not getting in the endzone. I was just looking at fantasy #'s and he wasn't where he was last year. This game likely helped him a good bit though...
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Tough loss but I am glad they played much better today! Props to Jefferson and Cook, they both get game balls for their amazing performance!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:38 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:59 am

Thanks Kapp. I guess he's not getting in the endzone. I was just looking at fantasy #'s and he wasn't where he was last year. This game likely helped him a good bit though...
No worries. I pay absolutely zero attention to fantasy, so that's my bad.

He got into the end zone today for sure.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:40 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:38 pm

No worries. I pay absolutely zero attention to fantasy, so that's my bad.

He got into the end zone today for sure.
Nah it was my bad, I pay zero attention to the Titans :lol:

I don't know what Vrabel was thinking on that last drive though. You take Henry out of the game and let Tannehill throw it 3 times? You're in FG range and the Vikings have 1 TO. He almost coached himself out of a win.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Stewie: Now, I'm going to do something I like to call the 'Compliment Sandwhich." Where I say something good, talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.
JJ is looking like a great pick. Obviously a huge game but even the last two weeks, he's made some tough contested grabs. Looks so fluid out there.

Zimmer still hasn't learned time management. Pass blocking was terrible. Cousins with some poor decisions. Ant Harris doesn't look like a franchise tag safety right now.

Cook with a career game (hope the ankle is ok). Shout out to CJ Ham who did a hell of a job blocking out there.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:39 pm Tough loss but I am glad they played much better today! Props to Jefferson and Cook, they both get game balls for their amazing performance!
Yes, at least they were competitive and hopefully Jefferson had the first of many exciting Vikings performances to come!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:49 pm
Stewie: Now, I'm going to do something I like to call the 'Compliment Sandwhich." Where I say something good, talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.
JJ is looking like a great pick. Obviously a huge game but even the last two weeks, he's made some tough contested grabs. Looks so fluid out there.

Zimmer still hasn't learned time management. Pass blocking was terrible. Cousins with some poor decisions. Ant Harris doesn't look like a franchise tag safety right now.

Cook with a career game (hope the ankle is ok). Shout out to CJ Ham who did a hell of a job blocking out there.
He's an underrated part of their offense.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Well, that's it ... I'm ready to blow this up.

I've been a huge proponent of Mike Zimmer. I've been squarely in the corner of Kirk Cousins since the day they signed him. I've praised Rick Spielman for his draft-day trades. I've been as optimistic as any 50+ year Viking fan could be.

But this isn't working.

How in the world, when all you need is a field goal and get a gift roughing-the-passer penalty, do you go backwards 14 yards and fizzle out with yet another interception?

You do it because you have an absolute joke for an O-line. An O-line situation that has been set up by questionable signings and extensions that have led to no money for the line.

You do it because your coach does everything in his power NOT TO LOSE, rather than to win.

You do it because your quarterback shrinks from the moment almost every time the moment happens. At first, I thought it was a bad snap. Upon further review, it was right at his hip. Not sure what distracted him, but whatever it was, it ended up being another Chinese fire drill in crunch time.

Blow it up. Tank for Trevor. Shoot for 0-16 and throw the bums out.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.