Breakdown of Cousin's Week 2 Game.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Breakdown of Cousin's Week 2 Game.

Post by YikesVikes »

As we know... Not all his fault but some of the blame falls to him.

https://youtu.be/scktWQDzUdg
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Breakdown of Cousin's Week 2 Game.

Post by RandyMoss84 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:59 pm As we know... Not all his fault but some of the blame falls to him.

https://youtu.be/scktWQDzUdg
He only has 1 good wide receiver to throw to so it is not his fault
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Well, that was depressing. What a great way to start my day. I guess I'll work now ... can't be worse than that.

Any time the person breaking down the play says, "Again, I don't think it's all Cousins' fault" about 40 times, as this guy does, you know it's a pretty pathetic performance all around.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:06 am Well, that was depressing. What a great way to start my day. I guess I'll work now ... can't be worse than that.

Any time the person breaking down the play says, "Again, I don't think it's all Cousins' fault" about 40 times, as this guy does, you know it's a pretty pathetic performance all around.
Yes he was bad. As were many others. However, some of the things he "didn't blame Kirk for" I blame Kirk for. Like he didn't blame him for the slant that was behind the WR.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

One positive from the video, or at least the part I managed to watch before turning it off in disgust, the WRs appear to be getting separation.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:05 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:06 am Well, that was depressing. What a great way to start my day. I guess I'll work now ... can't be worse than that.

Yes he was bad. As were many others. However, some of the things he "didn't blame Kirk for" I blame Kirk for. Like he didn't blame him for the slant that was behind the WR.
That slant goes both ways. Could have been better placement, but was also very much catchable. Throwing an inaccurate pass to the point your WR cant get his hands on it, then yeah fully on the QB. But a pass that still hits your WR in the hands when he's uncovered, is 100% still catchable. Especially as an NFL WR.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:52 am
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:05 pm

That slant goes both ways. Could have been better placement, but was also very much catchable. Throwing an inaccurate pass to the point your WR cant get his hands on it, then yeah fully on the QB. But a pass that still hits your WR in the hands when he's uncovered, is 100% still catchable. Especially as an NFL WR.
Slants are 3 yards and in. The velocity that an NFL QB puts on their slants makes adjusting almost impossible. It's the QBs fault if it is thrown behind. That's bad ball placement and something a QB in his 9th season should not be struggling with. We saw it week 1 with the other INT. This time it was on an out route and he threw it behind the WR. How can you blame the WR in either case. They are doing everything in their power to fix the QBs mistake.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think it was a pretty fair take and echoed what Sage said last year. Not everything is Cousins fault but he makes a lot of poor decisions and doesn't see the field well at times.

It's one of those breakdowns you like to see from a rookie QB. Here's the mistakes he made and how he can improve. But a veteran on his second mega extension? That's a huge problem.

The Bisi interception is moot to me. If you call that one on Bisi, Cousins still lucked out on an easy pick that was dropped by Leonard. He had another throw to Irv that also could have been picked. Plus the safety. So net net, the number of picks thrown is indicative of how he played.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:52 amBut a pass that still hits your WR in the hands when he's uncovered, is 100% still catchable. Especially as an NFL WR.
I think you nailed the main problem. Bisi is not an NFL-caliber WR. Certainly not a WR2.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Bisi is simply not an NFL-caliber WR2, but that slant was poorly thrown, too. Both things can be true.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:36 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:52 am

Slants are 3 yards and in. The velocity that an NFL QB puts on their slants makes adjusting almost impossible. It's the QBs fault if it is thrown behind. That's bad ball placement and something a QB in his 9th season should not be struggling with. We saw it week 1 with the other INT. This time it was on an out route and he threw it behind the WR. How can you blame the WR in either case. They are doing everything in their power to fix the QBs mistake.
First of all, cousins accuracy isn’t a concern for me long term. He’s arguably one of the most accurate QBs in the nfl. Not currently playing like it but don’t see it lasting. Second, have you never seen a WR catch a ball throw behind him? It happens all the time and WRs catch it more often than not. I highly doubt somebody like Thielen drops that ball.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

soflavike wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:43 pm Bisi is simply not an NFL-caliber WR2, but that slant was poorly thrown, too. Both things can be true.
Agreed. Neither player did their job, but I’m not solely throwing that on cousins. I said below, I don’t see Thielen dropping that ball. He’s made way crazier catches than that before. This ball wasn’t 10 miles behind him where he could barely get a finger on it. It hit both of his hands. If you’re an nfl WR and a pass hits you in both palms, uncovered, no matter where it’s placed it should be caught.

As for Bisi himself, I think he has the ceiling of a Jarius Wright. A solid #3 but will never be a legitimate #2. Especially the #2 we’re use to in Diggs. Jefferson, however, has every bit of the skill set of a #2. Even a #1. This is why he needs to be on the field more. And not even because of just his skill set as a WR but his overall elusiveness with the ball. Something else Bisi just doesn’t have.

They need to find a way to get Jefferson on the field more and ASAP. Let this guy loose. It’s not like diggs sitting in front of him. It’s a 7th round pick that’s an average at best WR/athlete
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:33 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:36 pm

First of all, cousins accuracy isn’t a concern for me long term. He’s arguably one of the most accurate QBs in the nfl. Not currently playing like it but don’t see it lasting. Second, have you never seen a WR catch a ball throw behind him? It happens all the time and WRs catch it more often than not. I highly doubt somebody like Thielen drops that ball.
Not on slants. You see them adjust because they have time to on DIggs, Posts etc. On slants, its there in an instant. It very difficult to.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:53 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Not on slants. You see them adjust because they have time to on DIggs, Posts etc. On slants, its there in an instant. It very difficult to.
Again, agree to disagree. This is the NFL, not every pass is perfect, WRs need to adjust. If Cousins had a serious accuracy problem, then that's one thing. But he doesn't. It was a poor throw but it 100% could have been caught, simple as that.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:43 am
YikesVikes wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Again, agree to disagree. This is the NFL, not every pass is perfect, WRs need to adjust. If Cousins had a serious accuracy problem, then that's one thing. But he doesn't. It was a poor throw but it 100% could have been caught, simple as that.
Most of the time that pass isn't caught. Should and could are two different things and while Johnson could have caught that pass, it was not his fault he didn't.