Barr is out for the season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Barr is out for the season

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:52 am

I'm just hoping at this point that Hunter is back after this week and we dont find out that he's out for a long stretch or done for the year. I really want to see him and Ngakoue together. And Ngakoue has still yet to play a full game. I would think he's up to snuff by this weeks game.

But yeah I agree you could kill some confidence with these rookie corners but I'm not sure if I could see them being as bad as Hughes and Hill have been. At least Dantzler in week 1 was all over who he was on. Hughes and Hill have been getting twisted inside and out.
I thought Hughes was our best CB Sunday by far. His first game he really struggled against Adams, but most CBs do.

Gave me some hope.

Hill should be benched.
I mean those guys will flash a play here and there. But saying Hughes was the best CB by far doesnt carry much weight. None of them are very good at all right now. Hill had a nice PBU on Adams week 1 but overall, he has not been good. We really need to see what these rookies are made of and at this rate, who knows when they are going to be given that chance to actually play a full game and attempt to get comfortable
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:00 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 am

I thought Hughes was our best CB Sunday by far. His first game he really struggled against Adams, but most CBs do.

Gave me some hope.

Hill should be benched.
I mean those guys will flash a play here and there. But saying Hughes was the best CB by far doesnt carry much weight. None of them are very good at all right now. Hill had a nice PBU on Adams week 1 but overall, he has not been good. We really need to see what these rookies are made of and at this rate, who knows when they are going to be given that chance to actually play a full game and attempt to get comfortable
Hughes is a part of the future of this team at least for one more year anyway, and deserves time to improve just like the rookies.

PFF stats from Sunday for Hughes:
3 targets, 2 receptions for 8 yards. He was the 26th highest coverage graded corner of qualifying CBs Sunday at 67.3. He played well, and should be given the chance to prove he can do it again this Sunday.

Hill had a 38.8 coverage grade for anyone who was wondering...
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:32 am
I agree with what you said about average as the top end. The problem with throwing the kids out there and our inability to generate a pass rush is that they will get smoked and it could ruin them right off the bat. But at this point it might not be a bad idea and it could work the other way to. Pass rush is the key. I thought they might turn Barr into an edge rusher but I guess that's not in the plan.
I'm just hoping at this point that Hunter is back after this week and we dont find out that he's out for a long stretch or done for the year. I really want to see him and Ngakoue together. And Ngakoue has still yet to play a full game. I would think he's up to snuff by this weeks game.

But yeah I agree you could kill some confidence with these rookie corners but I'm not sure if I could see them being as bad as Hughes and Hill have been. At least Dantzler in week 1 was all over who he was on. Hughes and Hill have been getting twisted inside and out.
Many have posted that playing inside seems to be best for Hughes. That's an important position in today's world. Hill has a great skill set but it's not working right now. Don't forget those two are kids also. I have no problem playing the rookies and moving Hughes inside. Then let Hill get his snaps as needed. Thing is Hill beat those guys out. The rookies need to get their development going at some point. Losing that DT and Hunter is a tough blow. Teams will run on us which makes it almost impossible to attack the QB.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I hope they're cautious with Hunter and don't rush him back.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:51 pm I hope they're cautious with Hunter and don't rush him back.
Do not hold your breath on it, they rushed Adam and he was out for longer last year because Zimmer is an idiot
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:17 am

Many have posted that playing inside seems to be best for Hughes. That's an important position in today's world. Hill has a great skill set but it's not working right now. Don't forget those two are kids also. I have no problem playing the rookies and moving Hughes inside. Then let Hill get his snaps as needed. Thing is Hill beat those guys out. The rookies need to get their development going at some point. Losing that DT and Hunter is a tough blow. Teams will run on us which makes it almost impossible to attack the QB.
I'm not sure that's exactly how it played out. Gladney had meniscus surgery and was not 100% all throughout camp. Hill may have defaulted his way into the lineup.

Anybody know the status of Dantzler?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:17 am
I'm not sure that's exactly how it played out. Gladney had meniscus surgery and was not 100% all throughout camp. Hill may have defaulted his way into the lineup.

Hopefully he can be back soon. With enough reps Dantzler, Gladney and Hughes could be an okay secondary at some point this year. Hill appears to be nothing more than a solid 4th CB and the sooner he goes back to that role the better.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:49 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 am

Hopefully he can be back soon. With enough reps Dantzler, Gladney and Hughes could be an okay secondary at some point this year. Hill appears to be nothing more than a solid 4th CB and the sooner he goes back to that role the better.
CB is a hard position to break in as a rookie. Can it be done sure. But it's not likely. Besides that if we don't start rushing the passer it won't matter who is back there. Pressure is key to everything. Beyond our young CBs what about our star safeties. They deserve some heat also. They're part of the secondary that's getting torched. IMO it's all about having zero pass rush.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:31 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:49 am

CB is a hard position to break in as a rookie. Can it be done sure. But it's not likely. Besides that if we don't start rushing the passer it won't matter who is back there. Pressure is key to everything. Beyond our young CBs what about our star safeties. They deserve some heat also. They're part of the secondary that's getting torched. IMO it's all about having zero pass rush.
Smith hasn't given up a yard in coverage according to PFF, but has a below average grade. Harris had an awful week 1, but was one of the best defenders on the field week 2, again according to PFF.

In my opinion, both safeties struggled week 1, but I thought Smith looked good week 2, making plays and showing up all over the field. Harris I didn't notice in that week 2 game, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He wasn't targeted once, and there is a reason for that.