Teddy Bridgewater

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am In the end, does it really matter if Cousins is better than Bridgewater or vice versa? They aren't on the same team, competing for the starting job
Thank you!

This is the point I've been trying to make. Why are we comparing these guys? To win an argument? OK, I concede!

Kirk Cousins is our quarterback right now. For the Vikings to make any true Super Bowl noise, they're gonna have to put a lot around him because if a rising tide floats all boats, Cousins is not a lift-the-tide kind of quarterback. He's solid as steel when things go as planned but a Chinese fire drill when things break down. To succeed, he needs excellent personnel around him and a great scheme in place. Under Kubiak, he's likely to get the scheme, for the most part — hopefully an even better version of what he had last year. Can they put the personnel around him? Given our cap situation, it doesn't seem likely, but let's see how it all plays out. You never know. A deal for Trent Williams and a great draft, and things could get interesting.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:10 pmKirk Cousins in regulation versus the Saints in perfect weather conditions, not sub 0 temps: 185 yards, 0 TDs. He was carried to OT by his defense and run game but struggled for the majority of that Saints game. It was a chip shot missed Lutz FG that helped us even make it to OT and a flip of a coin that got us the ball first.

He then completely crapped the bed against the 49ers. 8 quarters of bad QB play with one good pass in OT. That is Kirk Cousins in the playoffs for the Vikings.
In other words, Cousins, Bridgewater, Keenum and Ponder have all been inadequate. Add Bradford and Cassel to that list too, as well as some truly forgettable backup QBs.

In the end, does it really matter if Cousins is better than Bridgewater or vice versa? They aren't on the same team, competing for the starting job. Cousins is the only one who still has a shot to lead the Vikes to a Super Bowl and you have to be pretty optimistic to think that's going to happen in the next 2 years.

The Vikes have been on this QB carousel for most of the past 3 decades and it's unlikely it will end with Kirk. We're arguing over scraps and hand-me-downs.
Agree, except I think Teddy is the only guy on that list who has the potential to be a truly excellent QB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:30 pm

In other words, Cousins, Bridgewater, Keenum and Ponder have all been inadequate. Add Bradford and Cassel to that list too, as well as some truly forgettable backup QBs.

In the end, does it really matter if Cousins is better than Bridgewater or vice versa? They aren't on the same team, competing for the starting job. Cousins is the only one who still has a shot to lead the Vikes to a Super Bowl and you have to be pretty optimistic to think that's going to happen in the next 2 years.

The Vikes have been on this QB carousel for most of the past 3 decades and it's unlikely it will end with Kirk. We're arguing over scraps and hand-me-downs.
Agree, except I think Teddy is the only guy on that list who has the potential to be a truly excellent QB.
And I believe that Cousins gives us our best shot of any of them. Like I said, in the end it doesnt matter, we know who our QB is. Bringing up Teddy and any other QB we had in the past proves nothing. Last I checked, not a single one has won a SB. There is one that continues to remain better than the others to this day and I dont see that changing any time soon. Most are either out of the league or a backup. Teddy has the only shot at this point to prove he can do anything better than Cousins or just in general. Until the season hits, nobody will know but we all have our thoughts and I'm sure everyone knows mine.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:10 pmKirk Cousins in regulation versus the Saints in perfect weather conditions, not sub 0 temps: 185 yards, 0 TDs. He was carried to OT by his defense and run game but struggled for the majority of that Saints game. It was a chip shot missed Lutz FG that helped us even make it to OT and a flip of a coin that got us the ball first.

He then completely crapped the bed against the 49ers. 8 quarters of bad QB play with one good pass in OT. That is Kirk Cousins in the playoffs for the Vikings.

Ponder never got his shot at the playoffs thanks to a cheap shot in the Packer game. What could have been!

In all seriousness, the only reason to be concerned about Teddy being a better option than Cousins is in regards to decisions made about those QBs by the GM. If Teddy plays well for a bad Carolina team, he probably made a mistake signing Cousins to 150 million fully guaranteed. If Teddy doesn't play well, Rick still probably made a mistake signing him to a massive contract.

Ah, I see what you mean now.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Ponder never got his shot at the playoffs thanks to a cheap shot in the Packer game. What could have been!

In all seriousness, the only reason to be concerned about Teddy being a better option than Cousins is in regards to decisions made about those QBs by the GM. If Teddy plays well for a bad Carolina team, he probably made a mistake signing Cousins to 150 million fully guaranteed. If Teddy doesn't play well, Rick still probably made a mistake signing him to a massive contract.

It's like you're already implying the excuse you're going to give if he plays poorly by using the term "bad Carolina team". They had a below average defense last year which I'm sure they try and improve in the draft. Their offense consists of arguably the best do it all RB in the NFL who will continue to carry the offense, DJ Moore/Robby Anderson/Curtis Samuel and a halfway decent OL. Teddy has enough on this team to succeed. It's not like they are the Redskins. So dont even try going down that road.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:02 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:39 pm

It's like you're already implying the excuse you're going to give if he plays poorly by using the term "bad Carolina team". They had a below average defense last year which I'm sure they try and improve in the draft. Their offense consists of arguably the best do it all RB in the NFL who will continue to carry the offense, DJ Moore/Robby Anderson/Curtis Samuel and a halfway decent OL. Teddy has enough on this team to succeed. It's not like they are the Redskins. So dont even try going down that road.
Sorry, you are right, they are the best 5 win team ever.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:02 pm

Sorry, you are right, they are the best 5 win team ever.
Dude just stop
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Every Tuesday during the 2019 season, the New Orleans Saints’ defensive backs gathered in a room at the team’s training facility and watched their upcoming opponent’s first- and second-down offensive tape for about 90 minutes. This may sound like standard practice, but multiple Saints insisted it isn’t.

Tuesdays, you see, are the players’ mandated days off during the regular season, often the only one they get during the week. So if players want to come in and work, they have to do it of their own volition.
There was a secret ingredient to this. Turns out that in these Tuesday get-togethers, the defensive backs had an unofficial member — Teddy Bridgewater, the Saints’ 27-year-old No. 2 quarterback.
“I’d say, ‘Teddy, come in here with us — what is the progression of the quarterback right here? OK, we’re in this coverage — where is he going to go next?’ And he’d just break down the whole offense,” safety Vonn Bell, one of the leaders of the Tuesday get-togethers, told Yahoo Sports last season. “He’d show us where the quarterback is looking, how to break down defenses. He helped the safeties by saying what [the quarterback] is looking at.”
This willingness to help the first-string defense isn’t normal in the NFL, teammates said. Consider the fact that Bridgewater, who not very long ago was fighting for his professional life, stood to impress the coaching staff by shredding the defense on the scout team.

“It’s monumental to have that, because not every quarterback is willing to have that conversation with the defense,” Apple said. “He was very unselfish from the jump.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/how-teddy-brid ... 20729.html

Read the whole thing.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:19 am
Every Tuesday during the 2019 season, the New Orleans Saints’ defensive backs gathered in a room at the team’s training facility and watched their upcoming opponent’s first- and second-down offensive tape for about 90 minutes. This may sound like standard practice, but multiple Saints insisted it isn’t.

Tuesdays, you see, are the players’ mandated days off during the regular season, often the only one they get during the week. So if players want to come in and work, they have to do it of their own volition.
There was a secret ingredient to this. Turns out that in these Tuesday get-togethers, the defensive backs had an unofficial member — Teddy Bridgewater, the Saints’ 27-year-old No. 2 quarterback.
“I’d say, ‘Teddy, come in here with us — what is the progression of the quarterback right here? OK, we’re in this coverage — where is he going to go next?’ And he’d just break down the whole offense,” safety Vonn Bell, one of the leaders of the Tuesday get-togethers, told Yahoo Sports last season. “He’d show us where the quarterback is looking, how to break down defenses. He helped the safeties by saying what [the quarterback] is looking at.”
This willingness to help the first-string defense isn’t normal in the NFL, teammates said. Consider the fact that Bridgewater, who not very long ago was fighting for his professional life, stood to impress the coaching staff by shredding the defense on the scout team.

“It’s monumental to have that, because not every quarterback is willing to have that conversation with the defense,” Apple said. “He was very unselfish from the jump.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/how-teddy-brid ... 20729.html

Read the whole thing.
Good for Teddy I wish him well
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This thread gives me such nostalgia. I hope we have this discussion every year from now until forever. Thank you, VMB. I feed on these 'member berries and they are delicious.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:21 pm This thread gives me such nostalgia. I hope we have this discussion every year from now until forever. Thank you, VMB. I feed on these 'member berries and they are delicious.
Who does Teddy play against week 1?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am
dead_poet wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:21 pm This thread gives me such nostalgia. I hope we have this discussion every year from now until forever. Thank you, VMB. I feed on these 'member berries and they are delicious.
Oakland.

Teddy is under a lot of pressure to perform well now that Cam has been named starter in NE. Bill got an 11 win season out of Matt Cassel, so I have no doubt he will be able to get success out of a former MVP. One slip up from Teddy and the fans will be pointing to the success of the guy he replaced.

Carolina also has an incredibly tough division, with two teams that many are picking to win the SB. They also play the NFC North, a division that is arguably just as good.

It would be very ironic if Teddy put up better numbers playing with a crap defense than Cousins playing with a good defense, while Teddy ends up losing more games. I really hope it happens to read some of the MN sports media jump on the QB winz stat they argued was meaningless before.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 pm
fiestavike wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am

Oakland.

Teddy is under a lot of pressure to perform well now that Cam has been named starter in NE. Bill got an 11 win season out of Matt Cassel, so I have no doubt he will be able to get success out of a former MVP. One slip up from Teddy and the fans will be pointing to the success of the guy he replaced.

Carolina also has an incredibly tough division, with two teams that many are picking to win the SB. They also play the NFC North, a division that is arguably just as good.

It would be very ironic if Teddy put up better numbers playing with a crap defense than Cousins playing with a good defense, while Teddy ends up losing more games. I really hope it happens to read some of the MN sports media jump on the QB winz stat they argued was meaningless before.
As PHP so eloquently put it, JUST STOP. Dude, we are sick of you droning on and on. It’s a moot point. We know how you feel, let it go
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Frozen Rope wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:04 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Oakland.

As PHP so eloquently put it, JUST STOP. Dude, we are sick of you droning on and on. It’s a moot point. We know how you feel, let it go
?

This my first post on the subject since April, calm down.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 am
Frozen Rope wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:04 pm

?

This my first post on the subject since April, calm down.
Right but it also looks like you're teetering the line of comparing Teddy and Cousins again and quite frankly nobody wants to go down that road. Teddy is no longer on this team. And to address your last post above, Kirk Cousins does NOT have a good defense right now.
-Chazz Palminteri