There actually IS a game scheduled TODAY

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: There actually IS a game scheduled in 5 days

Post by vikeinmontana »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:30 am
S197 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:21 pm

This will definitely be a unique experience. Did they say how many fans in the stadium? 20%?

I think the key will be, can we stop Aaron Jones and the rushing game that ran over and wore this defense down last year. And will our OL be able to deal with a very potent pass rush.

I look for the Packers to sell out to stop the run. Bisi Johnson as a #2 is a huge dropoff from Diggs allowing them to key on Thielen. Jefferson may get some opportunities based on this, I hope he can have a productive game.

With no preseason, I expect a pretty sloppy game by both teams. As someone mentioned, controlling the trenches will be key as will limiting penalties and time management.
No fans.

Talk about no home-field advantage.
I don't know if you're an NBA guy, but my opinion is that the no fans in the playoffs has actually made for some pretty great games. In a 7 game series the best team almost always wins anyway. But without teams being able to rely on fan energy, they have to make their own energy and runs. Maybe we'll see that in the NFL.

I'm by no means saying I like it. I'd prefer packed stadiums! But trying to be an optimist, I have enjoyed the playoffs and like the neutral feeling when games are tight, late!
i'm ready for a beer.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:50 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:30 am
No fans.

Talk about no home-field advantage.
I don't know if you're an NBA guy, but my opinion is that the no fans in the playoffs has actually made for some pretty great games. In a 7 game series the best team almost always wins anyway. But without teams being able to rely on fan energy, they have to make their own energy and runs. Maybe we'll see that in the NFL.

I'm by no means saying I like it. I'd prefer packed stadiums! But trying to be an optimist, I have enjoyed the playoffs and like the neutral feeling when games are tight, late!
Totally agree with you. I've loved the NBA playoffs.

One big difference ... in the NBA, all the teams are in the same boat, and the games are being played at a neutral site.

In the NFL, each individual team can decide how many fans can be in attendance.

So for example, Kansas City has decided that 16,000 fans will be allowed to attend tonight's game. Meanwhile, the Vikings have decided that no fans will be allowed. See the problem? It's a competitive advantage for teams allowing fans over teams allowing no fans.

As usual, the NFL has screwed this up. IMO, it should be the same for all teams.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:50 am

One big difference ... in the NBA, all the teams are in the same boat, and the games are being played at a neutral site.

So for example, Kansas City has decided that 16,000 fans will be allowed to attend tonight's game. Meanwhile, the Vikings have decided that no fans will be allowed. See the problem? It's a competitive advantage for teams allowing fans over teams allowing no fans.

As usual, the NFL has screwed this up. IMO, it should be the same for all teams.
I totally forgot about that! I agree that seems pretty unfair.
i'm ready for a beer.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:37 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 am

I'm assuming it's the difference between an outdoor stadium and a dome. Breathing in the same air as 16,000 people in the same building vs. open air is a pretty significant difference. Though personally I think having that many people there is a terrible idea.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Cliff wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:49 am

I'm assuming it's the difference between an outdoor stadium and a dome. Breathing in the same air as 16,000 people in the same building vs. open air is a pretty significant difference. Though personally I think having that many people there is a terrible idea.

I agree
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

They have those gigantic windows/doors they can open and I wonder if they could get similar airflow as most outdoor stadiums?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:00 pm

They have those gigantic windows/doors they can open and I wonder if they could get similar airflow as most outdoor stadiums?
It's only on one side of the stadium so I'm thinking it's really more for aesthetics than airflow. The way the stadium is built, the lower part is dug into the ground as well so the doors actually sit above a lot of the seats.

I think the stadiums without fans are pumping in artificial noise. Not sure if that's actually into the stadium or just the broadcast. If it's in the stadium then the 16k fan difference could be negligible.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:40 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:00 pm

It's only on one side of the stadium so I'm thinking it's really more for aesthetics than airflow. The way the stadium is built, the lower part is dug into the ground as well so the doors actually sit above a lot of the seats.

I think the stadiums without fans are pumping in artificial noise. Not sure if that's actually into the stadium or just the broadcast. If it's in the stadium then the 16k fan difference could be negligible.
The stadium. It's why we have been practicing with pumped in noise.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:18 pm
S197 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:40 pm

That seems like it'll be weird. Will they turn the volume up when a big play happens or will it always just be one volume? What happens if the noise gets out of sync with what's happening on the field? It's going to be interesting.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Cliff wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:14 am
YikesVikes wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:18 pm

That seems like it'll be weird. Will they turn the volume up when a big play happens or will it always just be one volume? What happens if the noise gets out of sync with what's happening on the field? It's going to be interesting.
If it's like hoops it will be VERY noticeable in the beginning. Since then, it's probably a combination of them doing a much better job, and fans getting used to it, whereas I don't even notice anymore.

Same with the cardboard cutouts for baseball and simulated fans in the NBA. When I first saw it I found it laughable. Now I honestly don't notice at all. In a way...that's kind of sad! :(
i'm ready for a beer.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not necessarily.

Green Bay is having no fans for at least their first two home games.

I think it's being left up to each team, and teams are basing it on the infection rate of the area they're in. I just think it's silly. It should be no fans at any teams' games until all teams can have fans.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

vikeinmontana wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:08 am
Cliff wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:14 am

If it's like hoops it will be VERY noticeable in the beginning. Since then, it's probably a combination of them doing a much better job, and fans getting used to it, whereas I don't even notice anymore.

Same with the cardboard cutouts for baseball and simulated fans in the NBA. When I first saw it I found it laughable. Now I honestly don't notice at all. In a way...that's kind of sad! :(
That's good to know. If I'm watching from home the fans don't add a ton to the game for me so I could see not noticing after a while.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 am

Not necessarily.

I think it's being left up to each team, and teams are basing it on the infection rate of the area they're in. I just think it's silly. It should be no fans at any teams' games until all teams can have fans.
There is such a psychological value to seeing whatever can get back to normal safely get back to normal, that I am in favor of them having fans to whatever degree possible, and wherever the risk is low enough...of course, that's the real sticking point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 amNot necessarily.

That's a good point, it may very well be depending on how the area is doing. "Hey, we're doing really well containing the virus right now ... lets cram 16,000 people together and see if we can't change that."
StanM
Veteran

Re: There actually IS a game scheduled in 2 days

Post by StanM »

Even though it's an indoor stadium the air exchange in those places is enough to handle the fumes of monster trucks and motocross. I attended an indoor Midget race where the air exchange couldn't keep up and the methanol fumes burned the eyes. It was determined that the air exchange could handle kart racing but was not up to the task for the Midgets and they were never booked them again. The air exchange in a new stadium has to be much better than my eye watering experience indoor racing experience and I would think it would stand up well to limited crowds. The crowd size is determined arbitrarily by local government but I won't take this post any further down that path as my purpose was to comment on air exchange in the stadium. We all know all the other talking points so I'll only mention local government determining crowd size as it applies to the Vikings and this weekend's opener.