There actually IS a game scheduled TODAY

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

There actually IS a game scheduled TODAY

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

We play the Packers at US Bank Stadium, this Sunday, September 13 at noon CST.

Lotta questions going into this game

1. Which 45 suit up for the Vikings?
2. What the heck is going on with Danielle Hunter, who still hasn't practiced in pads?
3. Does the Packers' incredibly lucky streak of winning games, even though their points differential is barely positive, finally end?
4. Does Erin Rodgers take yet another step backward this year?
5. If Hunter doesn't play, who goes at DE for the Vikings?
6. How will our corners fare against Erin?
7. To heck with Rodgers ... can our DL hold up against their running game?
8. Who wins this thing?

There are tons more questions. I just thought I'd give us a diversion from the pointless arguing over people sharing their opinions about Covid and talk actual football, about an actual game coming up in just a few days.

Thoughts?
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: There actually IS a game scheduled in 5 days

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:00 am We play the Packers at US Bank Stadium, this Sunday, September 13 at noon CST.

2. What the heck is going on with Danielle Hunter, who still hasn't practiced in pads?
3. Does the Packers' incredibly lucky streak of winning games, even though their points differential is barely positive, finally end?
8. Who wins this thing?

There are tons more questions. I just thought I'd give us a diversion from the pointless arguing over people sharing their opinions about Covid and talk actual football, about an actual game coming up in just a few days.

Thoughts?
We should make this the first 2020 official game pre game thread.

All good questions.
2. This could affect him all year if he comes back too soon.
3. No. They will still have the refs on their side and still have a QB who pulls wins out of his butt.
4. Probably, or he could go the route of Brady and Brees and figure out how to utilize his skill and experience and stop relying so much on his waning talent.
5. No idea. Odenigbo is not a LDE and Ngakoue is bad against the run (something the LDE needs to be good at in Zimmer's D)
6. Adams will get his, but the rest of their receivers should be an easy cover for our young DBs.
7. This is my biggest concern for the season. Can the switch to NT revitalize Stephen's career and will he be able to demand doubles and hold blockers like Joseph last season? If Hunter is out, will our DE's be two of the worst against the run in the NFL?
8. You have to go with the Packers based on last year's results. We haven't improved on Oline, and if the Packers become a run first team against us, it won't matter that Rodgers has been our b*tch for the past couple of seasons.

Keys to winning:
1. Stop the run, make Rodgers throw. Crazy that I am saying this, but Rodgers seems to be a very average QB at this point, and Zimmer eats average QBs for breakfast.
2. Run an efficient offense. This requires us to get a lead early and hold it. Playing from behind won't work against that pass rush.
3. Hope that the Packers aren't a playoff team this year. We haven't beaten a single playoff team in the regular season outside of Philly since 2017.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I don’t see why this game will be any different than the debacle last year in Minneapolis

In that game , we were absolutely dominated in the trenches, and we’ve done nothing to improve. Pack will control both lines of scrimmage and win comfortably, 27-10

Just my 2cents
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:35 am I don’t see why this game will be any different than the debacle last year in Minneapolis

In that game , we were absolutely dominated in the trenches, and we’ve done nothing to improve. Pack will control both lines of scrimmage and win comfortably, 27-10

Just my 2cents
While I agree I haven't been thrilled with how we've addressed the lines, there is NO way in my opinion that we lose to the Packers by three scores. I think they're a decent team, and they obviously could win. But that deficit would tie our biggest of the entire season last year, and that was against the Niners.

I would be shocked and totally change my outlook of the entire season if it goes down like that.
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

One more thing I want to point out, as people forget this every year.

The first game of the season rarely tells you what kind of season you are going to have. You could blow out a team by 30 points and not even score 30 again the entire season. You could give up 400 yards passing and be a top 5 pass defense by the end of the year. With no preseason and a shortened training camp, this first game will tell us very little about what the rest of the season will bring.

If things go very poorly in Sunday, it won't mean the season is lost.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:18 pm One more thing I want to point out, as people forget this every year.

The first game of the season rarely tells you what kind of season you are going to have. You could blow out a team by 30 points and not even score 30 again the entire season. You could give up 400 yards passing and be a top 5 pass defense by the end of the year. With no preseason and a shortened training camp, this first game will tell us very little about what the rest of the season will bring.

If things go very poorly in Sunday, it won't mean the season is lost.
Case in point ... last year.

Cousins threw 10 times, we rushed 38 times for 172, and we blew out the Falcons.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Concerning Hunter ...

Yesterday (I think) Courtney Cronin speculated that his situation might be contract-related. Basically, her hypothesis (completely unfounded, from what I could tell) was that Rob Brzezinski pulled the wool over Hunter's eyes a couple years ago, and that Hunter has realized that he's one of the top edge rushers in the league.

Never mind that he signed for $72 million over five years, with $40 million guaranteed.

Anyway, have any of you heard anything about a potential contract dispute between Hunter and the Vikings?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:32 pm Concerning Hunter ...

Yesterday (I think) Courtney Cronin speculated that his situation might be contract-related. Basically, her hypothesis (completely unfounded, from what I could tell) was that Rob Brzezinski pulled the wool over Hunter's eyes a couple years ago, and that Hunter has realized that he's one of the top edge rushers in the league.

Never mind that he signed for $72 million over five years, with $40 million guaranteed.

Anyway, have any of you heard anything about a potential contract dispute between Hunter and the Vikings?
My take on Courtney is that she has a lot of knowledge of the NFL and Vikings but sometimes she likes to find controversy where there isn't any. That is what sports reporters do, if all they reported on was published facts they wouldn't have a job.

The word is that it was a tweaked hamstring and they're holding him back until it's fully healed so I'll go with that until proven otherwise.

This is going to be a challenging start to the season with every team the way it went down. Before I get too freaked out about what might happen because of this or that I have to stop and realize every team has their challenges and players they can't afford to lose. That is where luck of the draw, staying healthy and making the right player moves comes into play. I think as this season progresses it will be remembered as a year when the regular injuries, covid and backup players are going to be a big key to getting into the playoffs. I think every team is going to have to juggle their roster and cross their fingers this year.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:32 pm Concerning Hunter ...

I have heard it was a hammy which would explain a lot.

The Vikings could bump up his salary 6 million per year and it wouldn't hurt too bad if that really was the issue. Hunter didn't get the wool pulled over his eyes though. He is not in a situation like Cook's where his contract was set before he ever entered the league, he was paid 40 million guaranteed based on 1 year of starting, a smart move by the GM and a smart move by Hunter for that matter. He has outplayed his contract, but that was the risk he took when he signed the deal.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:00 am We play the Packers at US Bank Stadium, this Sunday, September 13 at noon CST.

8. Who wins this thing?

Thoughts?
This will definitely be a unique experience. Did they say how many fans in the stadium? 20%?

I think the key will be, can we stop Aaron Jones and the rushing game that ran over and wore this defense down last year. And will our OL be able to deal with a very potent pass rush.

I look for the Packers to sell out to stop the run. Bisi Johnson as a #2 is a huge dropoff from Diggs allowing them to key on Thielen. Jefferson may get some opportunities based on this, I hope he can have a productive game.

With no preseason, I expect a pretty sloppy game by both teams. As someone mentioned, controlling the trenches will be key as will limiting penalties and time management.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

8. Who wins this thing?

Thoughts?
I would come out 4 and 5 wide against greenbay on the first drive and be looking for quick passes to neutralize the pass rush that destroyed the Vikings OL last year. That might get them on their heels and allow you to fall back into the traditional game plan in the 2nd 3rd quarters, and also give you something to return to if that's just not working.

I worry about not having a true nose tackle. Maybe it will lead the vikings defense to adjust and try to play an athletic and penetrating technique with the DL, where they are going to be undersized anyway.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:35 am I don’t see why this game will be any different than the debacle last year in Minneapolis

Just my 2cents
How about that was just one crap game and they happen from time to time. Pukers will fall to a vastly superior team.
Vikings 31 Puke 10.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:21 pm

8. Who wins this thing?

Thoughts?
This will definitely be a unique experience. Did they say how many fans in the stadium? 20%?

I think the key will be, can we stop Aaron Jones and the rushing game that ran over and wore this defense down last year. And will our OL be able to deal with a very potent pass rush.

I look for the Packers to sell out to stop the run. Bisi Johnson as a #2 is a huge dropoff from Diggs allowing them to key on Thielen. Jefferson may get some opportunities based on this, I hope he can have a productive game.

With no preseason, I expect a pretty sloppy game by both teams. As someone mentioned, controlling the trenches will be key as will limiting penalties and time management.
No fans.

Talk about no home-field advantage.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Re: There actually IS a game scheduled in 4 days

Post by S197 »

Looks like the Packers line is a little banged up. Their RG may not play and their RT situation isn't sorted out. Too bad hunter is missing this game though, but it's a good opportunity for guys like Ifeadi to step up.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: There actually IS a game scheduled in 4 days

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Hunter being out forces me to reassess my game prediction.

Pukers 20
Vikings