Riley Reiff tells teammates he expects to be cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Riley Reiff tells teammates he expects to be cut

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:54 pm Stupid move
Great move. You simply don't understand how important it is to have a quality LT. He's been rated an average starting LT by PFF the last several years. We were able to keep him at a discount. Hail Rick.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:54 pm Stupid move
Great move. You simply don't understand how important it is to have a quality LT. He's been rated an average starting LT by PFF the last several years. We were able to keep him at a discount. Hail Rick.
There's also the leadership aspect of it. He's a team captain and a respected figure in the locker room. Obviously that means little if you're not a good player, but as others have said, he's league average at LT.

I'm not surprised he re-signed for less. According to the Strib, it's believed he got some guaranteed money for this season, where before he had none. I'll be surprised if he returns next year, though.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think everyone agrees Reiff is average most days and flat out bad on a few. It is a good move this late in the game to keep him however if he is willing to stay for less. Next year I think you move on and save cap while moving O' Neil and preferable starting Cleveland.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm
There's also the leadership aspect of it. He's a team captain and a respected figure in the locker room. Obviously that means little if you're not a good player, but as others have said, he's league average at LT.

I'm not surprised he re-signed for less. According to the Strib, it's believed he got some guaranteed money for this season, where before he had none. I'll be surprised if he returns next year, though.
If they bought back awful Treadwell then they will bring back Reiff
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:27 pm I think everyone agrees Reiff is average most days and flat out bad on a few. It is a good move this late in the game to keep him however if he is willing to stay for less. Next year I think you move on and save cap while moving O' Neil and preferable starting Cleveland.
I hate the idea of moving O'Neil. Doing that is an indication we don't think we have anybody qualified to play there. Hopefully Cleveland is ready for LT next year and we can keep O'Neil at RT where he has been somewhat successful.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:59 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:27 pm I think everyone agrees Reiff is average most days and flat out bad on a few. It is a good move this late in the game to keep him however if he is willing to stay for less. Next year I think you move on and save cap while moving O' Neil and preferable starting Cleveland.
I hate the idea of moving O'Neil. Doing that is an indication we don't think we have anybody qualified to play there. Hopefully Cleveland is ready for LT next year and we can keep O'Neil at RT where he has been somewhat successful.
I was just thinking O' Neil has been not only the best pass protector on the team but one of the best in the NFL and don't you want your best pass protector at LT? I see the argument for not messing with a good thing though. Also have to wonder if he would stay here at RT money or test free agency and demand LT pay which someone would give him. If they do switch him though I think it should be made known to him at the start of the off-season so his entire preparation leading up to next year can be for that role.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 pm
I was just thinking O' Neil has been not only the best pass protector on the team but one of the best in the NFL and don't you want your best pass protector at LT? I see the argument for not messing with a good thing though. Also have to wonder if he would stay here at RT money or test free agency and demand LT pay which someone would give him. If they do switch him though I think it should be made known to him at the start of the off-season so his entire preparation leading up to next year can be for that role.
O'Neil is a good player, but not as good as his sacks allowed numbers would lead you to believe. A lot of times he would have given up the sack, but somebody else's man Elf, Bradbury, Kline got there first. Also his run blocking is OK.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:13 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Why don't we just cut literally the entire team. No, better yet, let's just move the Franchise so we never have to complain about them again.
I guess you wanted to keep Ponder then :roll:
I wouldn't have drafted Ponder in the first place, my goofy friend.

I would have done anything in my power to get either Peyton Manning, Alex Smith, or, in failing to get either of them, the Glue Factory of Matt Hasselbeck and just hope we're bad enough to get Andrew Luck *and* Harrison Smith in one go the next year. Or better yet, re-sign Tavaris to a 1-year deal and Suck For Luck.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PFF gave O'Neill a 68.6 pass-blocking grade. One of the best in the NFL is a bit of a stretch, he's slightly above the average of the pack.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:43 pm

PFF gave O'Neill a 68.6 pass-blocking grade. One of the best in the NFL is a bit of a stretch, he's slightly above the average of the pack.
Agreed. People only look at sack numbers. He is above average and I am happy to have him but he isn't a dominant OL. He does his job.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:28 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm

This has nothing to do with it. Treadwell was brought back when Thielen got hurt. Simply because it was mid season and he already knew the offense inside and out.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:29 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:28 pm

This has nothing to do with it. Treadwell was brought back when Thielen got hurt. Simply because it was mid season and he already knew the offense inside and out.
He only had 100 fewer yards than the Vikings #2 WR for most of that time, so maybe it wasn't such a bad move bringing him back?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:29 pm

He only had 100 fewer yards than the Vikings #2 WR for most of that time, so maybe it wasn't such a bad move bringing him back?
Bringing Treadwell back was a good move at the time.