Riley Reiff tells teammates he expects to be cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Riley Reiff tells teammates he expects to be cut

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:28 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 am
When was that announced. I was hearing different reports yesterday.
Dang it! I knew somebody would ask.

I read it yesterday while I was grilling on the deck, and now I can't find it. I'll keep looking.

Never mind. Just found it. All it said was that with Reiff out, Udoh was taking the reps at right tackle, with O'Neill at LT. But Rashod Hill was also out yesterday, so Udoh could have just moved up.

That's what I get for trying to rely on my memory.
You are right, they were talking up Udoh yesterday with Reiff out.

Interesting if they are going to move ONeil to LT and Udoh to RT instead of just replacing Reiff with Hill with less than 2 weeks to go before the first snap of the season.

None of this seems well thought out at all frankly. If O'Neil could be a decent LT and Udoh was playing that well last year at RT, why try to trade for a much more expensive Richardson instead of just moving ONeil to LT? Why hold on to Reiff as long as you did? Why is Hill getting more LT snaps in camp than the guy you are planning on starting there? Why try to force a restructure and let Reiff think about it instead of just making an offer and cutting him outright if he refuses?

The Vikings should have moved on from Reiff months ago when free agency started. They clearly aren't 100% sold on him being the LT if they try to trade for his replacement during the draft, and now are willing to cut him if he doesn't take a pay cut. So why keep that much cap and starting LT practice time locked up in a guy you don't want until now?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

all excellent questions, Stumphunter. It does seem pretty chaotic and reactionary and VERY late

potential explanations??

1. they planned to keep Reiff and re-sign Cook. When the DE from the Jags (sorry it's going to take time for me to remember his name :D ) came available they couldn't resist and thought he would help the team more than Reiff. So with that extra salary, it came down to Reiff and Cook and they are choosing Cook

2. They kept Reiff as an insurance policy to see how Ezra/Udoh developed in camp. Doesn't sound like Ezra has done much but maybe Udoh has performed so well, that they just can't keep him off the field. In that case, dedicating that kind of $$ to a backup T or a G didn't make any sense. we will see.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Vikings and starting LT Riley Reiff are closing in on a restructured contract to stay with the team, per league source.

Minnesota keeps its stalwart offensive tackle.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1 ... 6126874624
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Stupid move
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:54 pm Stupid move
Looks like we posted at the same time. To be clear, do you think getting him to restructure is a bad move (or were you posting without having seen my post)? We don't even know the numbers yet, but to me this is a win-win. We seriously upgraded our DL and got one of our worst contracts to restructure, keeping our OL in tact.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:58 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:54 pm Stupid move
Looks like we posted at the same time. To be clear, do you think getting him to restructure is a bad move (or were you posting without having seen my post)? We don't even know the numbers yet, but to me this is a win-win. We seriously upgraded our DL and got one of our worst contracts to restructure, keeping our OL in tact.
It is a stupid move keeping him because he sucks, he should be cut
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with restructuring the deal for the short-term gains. Reiff is still a very average Tackle with experience in the team's scheme. We're simply just saving money for Cook to get signed.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm

To say that without even knowing the numbers is very premature. Chemistry matters on the OL. It'll help us to have Reiff. And it will likely help to have Hill and Odoh to fill in when someone inevitably gets injured or COVID. The Vikings played this situation really well, IMO.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Why don't we just cut literally the entire team. No, better yet, let's just move the Franchise so we never have to complain about them again.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm

To say that without even knowing the numbers is very premature. Chemistry matters on the OL. It'll help us to have Reiff. And it will likely help to have Hill and Odoh to fill in when someone inevitably gets injured or COVID. The Vikings played this situation really well, IMO.
Agreed. looking forward to seeing the numbers. I wonder if they will keep him at starting LT or if they will use the excuse that Udoh beat him out as a starter so he needs to accept backup T $ (or maybe starting G $ if they bump him to G???) or get cut.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Why don't we just cut literally the entire team. No, better yet, let's just move the Franchise so we never have to complain about them again.
I guess you wanted to keep Ponder then :roll:
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:28 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am
Bad. Our line was already not looking so good. Without Reiff prefer for every snap to be a jailbreak.
Well, it is expected, the offensive line is not going to be elite overnight
Rick has never had an elite offensive line.

Edit: Reiff has agreed to take a pay cut.
Last edited by halfgiz on Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

halfgiz wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Rick has never had an elite offensive line.
It is an example
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:28 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 am
When was that announced. I was hearing different reports yesterday.
Dang it! I knew somebody would ask.

I read it yesterday while I was grilling on the deck, and now I can't find it. I'll keep looking.

Never mind. Just found it. All it said was that with Reiff out, Udoh was taking the reps at right tackle, with O'Neill at LT. But Rashod Hill was also out yesterday, so Udoh could have just moved up.

That's what I get for trying to rely on my memory.
Cool.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am
Bad. Our line was already not looking so good. Without Reiff prefer for every snap to be a jailbreak.
YES :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Reiff restructured. We keep him and save cap.
:govikes:
All Hail Spielman
:bowdown: