Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:52 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:08 pm Two points to consider.
1. The 3rd round comp pick is not given in the same year and we would have to hope his contract is significant enough to warrant it, While not signing someone that would work against us getting it.

2. Surely signing Clowney and keeping our 2nd and potentially a 3-5th would have been better?

I hate this trade if... It is a 1 year rental. If it isn't a 1 year rental, how will his contract affects Hunter's? This has disaster written all over it. Like of we sign him for 18 a year, will Hunter then want an improvement on the 14 he's getting?
No it would not be better because Clowney is overrated and would be a big waste of money
Clowney is overrated, but if it means keeping our 2nd and 3-5th round pick it would have been better.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Been texting my friends about the acquisition and can't remember the spelling of his last name for nothing, so from here forth, he will be called gak!
Last edited by PacificNorseWest on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:33 am Courtney Cronin

@CourtneyRCronin

Been checking on this for days. I was told this morning that it's still more of a precautionary thing than anything else in spite of how it looks w/ the # of missed practices. He shouldn't miss extended time.

Quote Tweet
Replying to @CourtneyRCronin

Courtney, Is this a sign Hunter’s “tweak” will cause him to miss much/all of the season (or have very limited snaps)?

@CourtneyRCronin

3h

When the Vikings tabled negotiations for a Dalvin Cook contract extension 2 weeks ago, I was told the team had other moves in mind they needed to get to. Trading for Yannick Ngakoue was No. 1. You've got to wonder now whether that money that was set aside for Cook has gone away.
I’ve been saying this all along to a buddy of mine. Hunter is arguably the best overall player on this entire roster, if he tweaked something, why rush him in practice? An elite caliber player like that that’s a freak of nature doesn’t need practice lol. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they learned from last year with Thielen going down that it’s better not to rush a player like that back. Although I don’t think the Vikings themselves rushed Thielen, he did that to himself but it’s just practice right now, why prolong and injury when you don’t have to in regards to hunter?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:33 am Courtney Cronin

@CourtneyRCronin

Been checking on this for days. I was told this morning that it's still more of a precautionary thing than anything else in spite of how it looks w/ the # of missed practices. He shouldn't miss extended time.

Quote Tweet
Replying to @CourtneyRCronin

Courtney, Is this a sign Hunter’s “tweak” will cause him to miss much/all of the season (or have very limited snaps)?

@CourtneyRCronin

3h

When the Vikings tabled negotiations for a Dalvin Cook contract extension 2 weeks ago, I was told the team had other moves in mind they needed to get to. Trading for Yannick Ngakoue was No. 1. You've got to wonder now whether that money that was set aside for Cook has gone away.
I’ve been saying this all along to a buddy of mine. Hunter is arguably the best overall player on this entire roster, if he tweaked something, why rush him in practice? An elite caliber player like that that’s a freak of nature doesn’t need practice lol. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they learned from last year with Thielen going down that it’s better not to rush a player like that back. Although I don’t think the Vikings themselves rushed Thielen, he did that to himself but it’s just practice right now, why prolong and injury when you don’t have to in regards to hunter?
I agree he's the best player on the team. I do think if he has another year like the last he will likely want and deserve a pay boost. It's gonna be hard to pay two elite edge rushers but man I hope they find a way.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:10 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:51 am I never heard of him to be honest so I had to look him up, it seems like it is a great trade but I do feel bad for Ifeadi because I thought Ifeadi was going to be the starter
People were hoping he would take the next step, but clearly he did not have a great camp.

I have mixed feelings about this trade. Griffen was a better pass rusher last season for us than Ngakue was for the Jags by the numbers, but Griffen has peaked while Ngakoue has room to improve.

If Ngakoue gets back to 2017 form this is a great trade, but if he plays like the last two seasons and looks for a 15 million/year contract next year it will feel more like a panic move by Rick when he realized his D-Line sucked.

Griffen's 2019 Numbers:
9 sacks
14 hits
43 hurries
66 pressures
7.3 PRP (PFF's formula for combining sacks, hurries, pressures)

Ngakoue's:
8 sacks
11 hits
32 hurries
51 pressures
6.5 PRP

PFF Grades:
Everson:
Pass Rush: 75.9
Run Defense: 66.4
Overall: 77.6

Ngakoue:
Pass Rush: 77.5
Run Defense: 51.6
Overall: 72.0

Looks like even in 2017 when he had his breakout year he was below average against the run and that should be a concern with our run stuffing NT out for the year.
You make some valid points. However, maybe I’m bias but having Andre Patterson as your DL coach is a whole different animal. Patterson is among the elite in terms of positional coaches (even though he’s now a co-DC). I mean hunter is a perfect example. A guy that had nearly 0 production in college to being the quickest player ever to 50 sacks in the nfl. There’s no doubt in my mind that Patterson gets the max out of Ngakoue and I wouldn’t be surprised one bit that his run defense improves as well. I think it’s an excellent trade. And we only lost one pick next year out of the 12-13 we already had.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:01 pm

No it would not be better because Clowney is overrated and would be a big waste of money
Clowney is overrated, but if it means keeping our 2nd and 3-5th round pick it would have been better.
I don't necessarily agree, but his style isn't really for everyone at his price, I guess. Everyone knows his low sack numbers, but he's a beast against the run and more athletic than your typical dough boy, Jerry Ball types and actually causes a ton of pressure. Keep in mind, he was far and away Seattle's best defensive lineman and no one else was getting to the QB...

His versatility to play inside and out will always limit his sack totals, but if he were paired with Hunter, for example, I think his sacks would be up, but you'd see the overall impact
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:06 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:52 am

I assumed it would be Shamar Stephen.
Ugh, Shamar is not good
Tell that to Andre Patterson.
People write [negative] stuff about Shamar Stephen, and I get it because everybody just looks at stats," Vikings Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach Andre Patterson said. "But if you watch film and you ask Eric Kendricks if he had to pick anybody to go to the game with that he'd make sure that guy was there, I guarantee he'd tell you it's 93 because 93 is not going to let anybody get to the second level and block Eric.
Or to Eric Kendricks.
First and foremost, I just think Shamar is completely underrated and really not appreciated as much as I appreciate him," Kendricks told Vikings.com. "I appreciate Shamar so much because his game isn't very flashy, you know what I mean? He knows what he needs to do; he's going to take on some double teams, he's going to hold his point of attack, and he's going to win his gap.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I have concerns about how we will pay him next year as well especially with a diminishing cap. Hopefully he really hated Coughlin and that’s why his price tag was so high because we really can’t afford that contract without losing some significant contributors.

With him and Hunter on the field that should take some pressure off our really young secondary. I don’t know how to feel about this one, part of me is worried we’re in a Sheldon Richardson rental type situation. Then again the Jared Allen trade worked out well. Guess we’ll see.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:07 pm I have concerns about how we will pay him next year as well especially with a diminishing cap. Hopefully he really hated Coughlin and that’s why his price tag was so high because we really can’t afford that contract without losing some significant contributors.

With him and Hunter on the field that should take some pressure off our really young secondary. I don’t know how to feel about this one, part of me is worried we’re in a Sheldon Richardson rental type situation. Then again the Jared Allen trade worked out well. Guess we’ll see.
I doubt he really hates Coughlin or anyone who played or worked with him, why would they?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Vikings can get compensatory picks from the players that they lost so it is not really a big deal
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:02 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:06 am

Ugh, Shamar is not good
People write [negative] stuff about Shamar Stephen, and I get it because everybody just looks at stats," Vikings Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach Andre Patterson said. "But if you watch film and you ask Eric Kendricks if he had to pick anybody to go to the game with that he'd make sure that guy was there, I guarantee he'd tell you it's 93 because 93 is not going to let anybody get to the second level and block Eric.
Or to Eric Kendricks.
First and foremost, I just think Shamar is completely underrated and really not appreciated as much as I appreciate him," Kendricks told Vikings.com. "I appreciate Shamar so much because his game isn't very flashy, you know what I mean? He knows what he needs to do; he's going to take on some double teams, he's going to hold his point of attack, and he's going to win his gap.
Just because Andre and Eric has opinions does not mean Shamar is good
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:40 pm
Vikings can get compensatory picks from the players that they lost so it is not really a big deal
I'd rather have a 2nd and 3-5th than a 3rd round comp pick. Those are practically 4th round picks anyway. I'm funny that way. I didn't realize how tiny Ngakoue was. He came into the league only 246 pounds and I don't know if he's added any. Hunter was only 6 pounds more but I bet he's added 15 pounds.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Or to Eric Kendricks.
Agreed. What are they going to say? He really sucks?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Or to Eric Kendricks.
So you know more than they do?

Sorry. I had no idea.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Why am I not surprised that 90% of the most pessimistic fan base on the planet hates this trade?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.