Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Courtney Cronin

@CourtneyRCronin

Been checking on this for days. I was told this morning that it's still more of a precautionary thing than anything else in spite of how it looks w/ the # of missed practices. He shouldn't miss extended time.

Quote Tweet
Replying to @CourtneyRCronin

Courtney, Is this a sign Hunter’s “tweak” will cause him to miss much/all of the season (or have very limited snaps)?

@CourtneyRCronin

3h

When the Vikings tabled negotiations for a Dalvin Cook contract extension 2 weeks ago, I was told the team had other moves in mind they needed to get to. Trading for Yannick Ngakoue was No. 1. You've got to wonder now whether that money that was set aside for Cook has gone away.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Anyone know who is replacing Pierce or it is not known yet?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 am Anyone know who is replacing Pierce or it is not known yet?
I assumed it would be Shamar Stephen.
mael·strom

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:52 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 am Anyone know who is replacing Pierce or it is not known yet?
Ugh, Shamar is not good
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:29 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 am Recent Vikings 2nd round picks.
Dalvin Cook
Eric Kendricks
Ezra Cleveland
MacKenzie Alexander
Brian O'Neill

Which of those on Rookie Contracts would we want to give up for Ngakoue on a very large contract?
Alexander and potentially Cleveland as I haven't seen him yet.
Alexander played some good ball for us on a very cheap contract. I'm not even sure if I would have preferred giving him up to pay Ngakoue a lot. Of course he's gone now, but I'm just trying to set some parameters.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Huge. Best bookend DEs in the league probably now.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:07 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:29 am

Alexander and potentially Cleveland as I haven't seen him yet.
Alexander played some good ball for us on a very cheap contract. I'm not even sure if I would have preferred giving him up to pay Ngakoue a lot. Of course he's gone now, but I'm just trying to set some parameters.
Yeah, a debate can definitely be had, but I just value defensive line so much more than slot corner. It is a lot to give up though if they don't sign him to an extension. Getting a compensatory third would help but it would still hurt more in the big picture unless of course they win the Superbowl this year.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:06 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:52 am

Ugh, Shamar is not good
He's solid I guess. Losing Pierce hurt no doubt about it. Hopefully one of the young prospects can step up.
mael·strom

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:14 am Huge. Best bookend DEs in the league probably now.
I agree. Anyone paying attention should be ecstatic about this move. I assume the plan is to sign him long term after this season. But he just made our defense very good I think.
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

vikeinmontana wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:37 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:14 am Huge. Best bookend DEs in the league probably now.
I agree. Anyone paying attention should be ecstatic about this move. I assume the plan is to sign him long term after this season. But he just made our defense very good I think.
No reason to be ecstatic about signing a player for one year and giving up very large draft pick compensation. He was offered $19 million a year and turned it down. For us to sign him long term will probably be $20 million per year or more. That will make him paid 5 million per year more than Hunter who's injury is being rumored to be contract related.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I hate this trade if... It is a 1 year rental. If it isn't a 1 year rental, how will his contract affects Hunter's? This has disaster written all over it. Like of we sign him for 18 a year, will Hunter then want an improvement on the 14 he's getting?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Two points to consider.
1. The 3rd round comp pick is not given in the same year and we would have to hope his contract is significant enough to warrant it, While not signing someone that would work against us getting it.

2. Surely signing Clowney and keeping our 2nd and potentially a 3-5th would have been better?

I hate this trade if... It is a 1 year rental. If it isn't a 1 year rental, how will his contract affects Hunter's? This has disaster written all over it. Like of we sign him for 18 a year, will Hunter then want an improvement on the 14 he's getting?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:08 pm Two points to consider.
1. The 3rd round comp pick is not given in the same year and we would have to hope his contract is significant enough to warrant it, While not signing someone that would work against us getting it.

2. Surely signing Clowney and keeping our 2nd and potentially a 3-5th would have been better?

They won't in all likelihood re-sign Cook. Harris likely has a less productive year and will be 30 I believe. He will probably be gone. Barr will be cut or restructured unless he goes wild this year. Reiff and Rudolph come off the books. Where there's a will there's a way.
mael·strom

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:20 pm

They won't in all likelihood re-sign Cook. Harris likely has a less productive year and will be 30 I believe. He will probably be gone. Barr will be cut or restructured unless he goes wild this year. Reiff and Rudolph come off the books. Where there's a will there's a way.
That's a lot of moving prices for one guy. Truth is, we maybe able to keep cook. Next year's RB FA market is crazy. Aost all the best backs are free agents.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

No it would not be better because Clowney is overrated and would be a big waste of money