Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings

Post by psjordan »

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Ohhhh man nice move!! Dude is a beast. 25 years old (same as hunter), 37.5 sacks in 4 years and we didn’t have to give up much at all for a top flight pass rusher in his prime
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Punkoholic
Rookie

Post by Punkoholic »

Awesome news. Him on one end and Hunter on the other should be fun. Although theories of Hunter being more injured then what the Vikings are saying and Yannick is basically replacing him for the season(although it's been reported that's he's coming back soon). Also other theories were Hunter isn't injured and wants more money and the Vikings plan on trading Hunter. Hopefully that's all false and both players remain a Viking for a couple of years.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I never heard of him to be honest so I had to look him up, it seems like it is a great trade but I do feel bad for Ifeadi because I thought Ifeadi was going to be the starter
Last edited by RandyMoss84 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:51 am I never heard of him to be honest so I had to look him up, it seems like it is a great trade but I do feel bad for Ifeadi because I thought Ifeadi was going to be the starter
People were hoping he would take the next step, but clearly he did not have a great camp.

I have mixed feelings about this trade. Griffen was a better pass rusher last season for us than Ngakue was for the Jags by the numbers, but Griffen has peaked while Ngakoue has room to improve.

If Ngakoue gets back to 2017 form this is a great trade, but if he plays like the last two seasons and looks for a 15 million/year contract next year it will feel more like a panic move by Rick when he realized his D-Line sucked.

Griffen's 2019 Numbers:
9 sacks
14 hits
43 hurries
66 pressures
7.3 PRP (PFF's formula for combining sacks, hurries, pressures)

Ngakoue's:
8 sacks
11 hits
32 hurries
51 pressures
6.5 PRP

PFF Grades:
Everson:
Pass Rush: 75.9
Run Defense: 66.4
Overall: 77.6

Ngakoue:
Pass Rush: 77.5
Run Defense: 51.6
Overall: 72.0

Looks like even in 2017 when he had his breakout year he was below average against the run and that should be a concern with our run stuffing NT out for the year.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

wow!!!

The optimist in me:
how exciting! two of the best pass rushers, both age 25, on the same team!! This could be exciting, and with so many promising young CBs and hopefully improved CB play over last year, with this pass rush!!??? It could make things MISERABLE for opposing QBs this season

the pessimist in me:
1. As Punkoholic mentions, does this say something about Hunter's health? Was this an opportunistic move or an act of desperation to replace Hunter for 1 year for 2 picks??
2. I am not sure how they can extend him. With a smaller cap next year, Pierce presumably coming back next year, how can they possibly afford him beyond this year? And why waste a 2nd rounder and a 5th (or 4th) for a 1 year rental on a team without realistic super bowl aspirations this year??? Unless they plan to extend him, and I don't see how that is possible, how does this make sense?
3. Dalvin Cook??
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

It seems like a huge amount to pay for a one year rental. Unless I don't understand something it's a very bad trade. Somebody help me out.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:18 am It seems like a huge amount to pay for a one year rental. Unless I don't understand something it's a very bad trade. Somebody help me out.
If the Vikings are SB contenders this year and Ngakoue is the missing piece, it was a good trade. If not, I don't understand it either. A 2nd round pick isn't a lot to give up for young pass rusher, but it is a 2nd round pick and 14 million in cap for a guy who you can't afford next season if he returns to 2017 form and has a great year.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Yeah, that is the big problem, how can Vikings afford Yannick when his contract is up? If he walks then it is a waste of a 2nd rounder and a 4th round pick unless Vikings trade Yannick to another team
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Recent Vikings 2nd round picks.
Dalvin Cook
Eric Kendricks
Ezra Cleveland
MacKenzie Alexander
Brian O'Neill

Which of those on Rookie Contracts would we want to give up for Ngakoue on a very large contract?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 am Recent Vikings 2nd round picks.
Dalvin Cook
Eric Kendricks
Ezra Cleveland
MacKenzie Alexander
Brian O'Neill

Which of those on Rookie Contracts would we want to give up for Ngakoue on a very large contract?
Cook for me since he can not stay healthy and Mattison can replace him
Punkoholic
Rookie

Post by Punkoholic »

If he's just a rental, Vikings would get a NFL compensatory pick which apparently would be a 3rd round pick.

Also the 5th becomes a 4th if he makes the pro bowl and it becomes a 3rd if he makes the pro bowl and Vikings win super bowl.

Also keep him mind he was playing hurt last year. If he's healthy, maybe he goes back to his 2017 play.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Punkoholic wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:01 am If he's just a rental, Vikings would get a NFL compensatory pick which apparently would be a 3rd round pick.

Also the 5th becomes a 4th if he makes the pro bowl and it becomes a 3rd if he makes the pro bowl and Vikings win super bowl.

Also keep him mind he was playing hurt last year. If he's healthy, maybe he goes back to his 2017 play.
Good point. We may get a third round pick out of him assuming somebody signs him to a large contract and he plays the required number of snaps. So it's not quite as bad as I was thinking, but to me it's still pretty bad.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Very exciting move that will undoubtedly bolster the pass rush. I had faith in Odenigbo but if they can extend him it will give them maybe the best bookend combo in the league for years to come.

Hunter is my favorite player on the team so I really hope all is well with him. I think there will be ways to create cap space next year to extend Yannick and we have seen the Vikings get creative in the past. They will most likely have to let Cook go though.

I'm still somewhat concerned about the middle of the defense without Pierce but tgey do have a lot of young depth on the Dline so hopefully someone emerges.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 am Recent Vikings 2nd round picks.
Dalvin Cook
Eric Kendricks
Ezra Cleveland
MacKenzie Alexander
Brian O'Neill

Alexander and potentially Cleveland as I haven't seen him yet.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.