Cornerbacks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

Like if you're not allowing hardly any TDs as a CB in 2 years in the SEC, shutting down the best WR in college football and allowing 2 catches against the top offense and QB in college football, that spells shutdown CB if you ask me.

I think Dantzler was an absolute steal in round 3 and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if its Dantzler and Gladney starting on the outside and Hughes in the slot at some point this year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 am I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

Like if you're not allowing hardly any TDs as a CB in 2 years in the SEC, shutting down the best WR in college football and allowing 2 catches against the top offense and QB in college football, that spells shutdown CB if you ask me.

I think Dantzler was an absolute steal in round 3 and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if its Dantzler and Gladney starting on the outside and Hughes in the slot at some point this year.
IIRC he allowed just the one TD, but more than the 2 catches. I like him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 am I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

His production against top talent is definitely what makes him intriguing. I think it's clear he fell to the 3rd because his measurables are pretty terrible. Speed, vert, weight, arm length, etc. all well below average. The only thing he really has going for him is his height.

Now obviously there is a difference between being a track star and being able to perform on the field. And he's been able to hang with just about everyone on the field so that's certainly promising. Some guys just show up on game day, hopefully Dantzler is that guy. He reminds me a bit of Dre Kirkpatrick and I think he could have a similar career. Hopefully he pans out better but that's who pops out to me in terms of similar size.

I think you're right in that he'll likely eventually end up outside and Hughes will be in the slot. It's a little annoying we spent a 1st round pick on a slot corner but it is what it is.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm

His production against top talent is definitely what makes him intriguing. I think it's clear he fell to the 3rd because his measurables are pretty terrible. Speed, vert, weight, arm length, etc. all well below average. The only thing he really has going for him is his height.

Now obviously there is a difference between being a track star and being able to perform on the field. And he's been able to hang with just about everyone on the field so that's certainly promising. Some guys just show up on game day, hopefully Dantzler is that guy. He reminds me a bit of Dre Kirkpatrick and I think he could have a similar career. Hopefully he pans out better but that's who pops out to me in terms of similar size.

I think you're right in that he'll likely eventually end up outside and Hughes will be in the slot. It's a little annoying we spent a 1st round pick on a slot corner but it is what it is.
If he could be a slot hybrid like Logan Ryan, that might add some value. I believe TN played Ryan on the outside in their base D, and then moved him to the slot when they went nickle or dime.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm

You got to know when to throw a bad combine 40 time out the window. #### happens sometimes and his combine 40 was an example of it. That said I never trust Pro Day 40 times so throw that out the window as well and just go by his game video where he is fast enough to get the job done against the very best.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm Dantzler holding his own.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1295 ... 48804?s=20
Just because he broke up a pass in practice does not mean he is going to hold up his own in a real game
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:05 pm
S197 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm Dantzler holding his own.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1295 ... 48804?s=20
Just because he broke up a pass in practice does not mean he is going to hold up his own in a real game
It's just one play, but what a play. He took on pro bowl WR Adam Thielen and pretty much made him his ####. That one play has me quite excited for Dantzler's future. :rock: :govikes: :bowdown:
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:05 pm

It's just one play, but what a play. He took on pro bowl WR Adam Thielen and pretty much made him his ####. That one play has me quite excited for Dantzler's future. :rock: :govikes: :bowdown:
Eric Kelly did the same thing in practice against Randy and he ended up sucking so do not get your hopes up
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 am
Eric Kelly did the same thing in practice against Randy and he ended up sucking so do not get your hopes up
My hopes are very much up.
Erik Kelly made Randy his ####? Show me a link to this.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:44 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 am

I was joking :lol:
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Joke is on us!
Ready for Halloween
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:05 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:44 am
Dantzler making more great plays in practice today. Defensive Rookie of the Year talk.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:05 am

Dantzler making more great plays in practice today. Defensive Rookie of the Year talk.
And Offensive Rookie of the Year is? If Dantzler is not starting then he is not getting it
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm
And Offensive Rookie of the Year is? If Dantzler is not starting then he is not getting it
Not saying he is getting it, but he's looking so good in camp he's on the short list of prospects for the award.