Vikings Brother in bad health

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 am This should be the final update on Bruce. He's healthy enough to go back to work now. He's praying every morning for an end to this Pandemic and I'm joining him and doing the same. However I've got a question.

I hear the words Deadly Pandemic thrown out regarding COVID 19 all the time. I have a question that might be sensitive, but I don't know a single person who has died from it. I know Bruce who came close and a girl from another agency who I collaborate with got it and had what amounted to a bad cold from it.
If it's a deadly Pandemic shouldn't I know somebody who died from it? Is there anybody of us who actually knows somebody who died from it. Am I just lucky that nobody I know has died from it?
From a statistic standpoint it's a small percentage of the population that has died. However, that scales out so the more people that have the virus the more people will die. There are lots of dangerous things that kill people but that doesn't mean you'll personally know a person that has died from them all.

Heart Disease, Cancer, accidents, stroke, Alzheimer's, Diabetes, suicide. There's a good chance you don't know someone that has died from all of those since February. Keep in mind this has only been known of for something like 8 months. As time goes on and more people die the odds increase that you'll know somebody that dies from it. Same with any of the other illnesses I mentioned.

There have been several famous people that have died the most recent was former Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 am This should be the final update on Bruce. He's healthy enough to go back to work now. He's praying every morning for an end to this Pandemic and I'm joining him and doing the same. However I've got a question.

I hear the words Deadly Pandemic thrown out regarding COVID 19 all the time. I have a question that might be sensitive, but I don't know a single person who has died from it. I know Bruce who came close and a girl from another agency who I collaborate with got it and had what amounted to a bad cold from it.
If it's a deadly Pandemic shouldn't I know somebody who died from it? Is there anybody of us who actually knows somebody who died from it. Am I just lucky that nobody I know has died from it?
We have a very respected man in our small community who , although in his mid 70s , was in incredible shape for his age. This man is a big farmer and trust me he could still work right along his young grandsons and young workers and practically work circles around the. Well he was fine, then contracted covid. Spent several days in the hospital and it ended up devastating his lungs. His autopsy showed major lung damage and lots of new heart damage attributed to Covoid.
My daughter works for the CDC in Colombus Ohio. Franklin County, where Columbus is, is THE hot spot of Ohio. She has showed us the effects that the Covid has to the people who have died from it. Is unreal. Plus my wife knows a lady in her company who has who had lost a husband and a brother in law to it. So it isnt as fable or anything to take lighà
You seem to really be getting hit with tragedy Bow Hunter. 70 year old and super healthy it seems still has higher risk. On the other board some believe we should keep all sports shut down. I'm currently of the opinion that we should move forward taking reasonable precautions. :shock:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:14 pm

From a statistic standpoint it's a small percentage of the population that has died. However, that scales out so the more people that have the virus the more people will die. There are lots of dangerous things that kill people but that doesn't mean you'll personally know a person that has died from them all.

Heart Disease, Cancer, accidents, stroke, Alzheimer's, Diabetes, suicide. There's a good chance you don't know someone that has died from all of those since February. Keep in mind this has only been known of for something like 8 months. As time goes on and more people die the odds increase that you'll know somebody that dies from it. Same with any of the other illnesses I mentioned.

There have been several famous people that have died the most recent was former Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain.
I do know somebody that has died from every one of the other conditions you mentioned, but not since February is a very good point. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be concerned or take precautions. Reasonable precautions is my mantra. I am in favor of moving forward with our lives while taking reasonable precautions. As for her Herman Cain his name seems vaguely familiar. Joe Diffie is the one famous death that affected me. I loved his music and once saw him in concert from about the 3rd row.

RIP Joe and I hope they propped you up beside the Jukebox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiEFyTuuh8
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think one perspective is right now, in the US alone, one person dies from covid every minute. And that's with all the precautions and lockdowns. I would characterize that as a deadly pandemic.
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Praying for those who have lost loved ones as well as that of those who have recovered. Really such a horrific pandemic.
Ready for Halloween
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:40 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am

We have a very respected man in our small community who , although in his mid 70s , was in incredible shape for his age. This man is a big farmer and trust me he could still work right along his young grandsons and young workers and practically work circles around the. Well he was fine, then contracted covid. Spent several days in the hospital and it ended up devastating his lungs. His autopsy showed major lung damage and lots of new heart damage attributed to Covoid.
My daughter works for the CDC in Colombus Ohio. Franklin County, where Columbus is, is THE hot spot of Ohio. She has showed us the effects that the Covid has to the people who have died from it. Is unreal. Plus my wife knows a lady in her company who has who had lost a husband and a brother in law to it. So it isnt as fable or anything to take lighà
You seem to really be getting hit with tragedy Bow Hunter. 70 year old and super healthy it seems still has higher risk. On the other board some believe we should keep all sports shut down. I'm currently of the opinion that we should move forward taking reasonable precautions. :shock:
I am just about at wits end right now. I don't understand why but it has just been a horrible time lately for me as far as seeing friends and ppl I know face devastating situations. I have only posted a few.
Yesterday at work one of my very best friends, an NFL brother and who attends the August NASCAR race with my family at Michigan Intl every year, were talking about getting out of there for the wk end. I said I'm going home and getting the fire pit ready and the wife and I r having a nice fire tonight. He said the wife and I are gonna camp out by the pond and just relax tonight cuz we just got out living room done.
Well this morning another friend called me and said Brother, I just found out John's wife ( the guy I was just talking about) was riding her bike for her usual late afternoon ride. It got later and later so my buddy finally called her. He got a phone call right back from a different number and it was a Sheriffs deputy. Here she had been hit by a truck pulling a boat and had been killed. She had no ID and the couldn't open her phone so when he called they finally had a contact number.
I just talked to him. He is understandably in shock right now. My heart breaks for him. I will heading out to see him in a bit. They both are about 2 years from retirement.
I am truly to the point of being so tired of seeing so much death and heartbreak around me.
Any other year I would be devastated at the thought of possibly no football or even a reduced schedule.
Right now I realize as die hard as I am and love it, it's just a freakin game man. Kinda rethinking priorities right now... ALOT.
The last thing he said to me was Please done a favor. Go in , give Lisa a huge hug and tell her how much you Love her. He said I would trade the world to do that right now.
That hit me VERY hard.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:18 pm
I am just about at wits end right now. I don't understand why but it has just been a horrible time lately for me as far as seeing friends and ppl I know face devastating situations. I have only posted a few.
Yesterday at work one of my very best friends, an NFL brother and who attends the August NASCAR race with my family at Michigan Intl every year, were talking about getting out of there for the wk end. I said I'm going home and getting the fire pit ready and the wife and I r having a nice fire tonight. He said the wife and I are gonna camp out by the pond and just relax tonight cuz we just got out living room done.
Well this morning another friend called me and said Brother, I just found out John's wife ( the guy I was just talking about) was riding her bike for her usual late afternoon ride. It got later and later so my buddy finally called her. He got a phone call right back from a different number and it was a Sheriffs deputy. Here she had been hit by a truck pulling a boat and had been killed. She had no ID and the couldn't open her phone so when he called they finally had a contact number.
I just talked to him. He is understandably in shock right now. My heart breaks for him. I will heading out to see him in a bit. They both are about 2 years from retirement.
I am truly to the point of being so tired of seeing so much death and heartbreak around me.
Any other year I would be devastated at the thought of possibly no football or even a reduced schedule.
Right now I realize as die hard as I am and love it, it's just a freakin game man. Kinda rethinking priorities right now... ALOT.
The last thing he said to me was Please done a favor. Go in , give Lisa a huge hug and tell her how much you Love her. He said I would trade the world to do that right now.
That hit me VERY hard.
So sorry. Stay strong.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

That hit me VERY hard.
That is awful! My prayers goes out to your friend and his family, I will be thinking of you!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Thank you all for you kind words and prayers. In the past year or so it just seems like I have lost so many close friends or people that I know well. I know it is a part of life but that just doesn't make it any easier when u face it.
My dad said Son you are reaching the age that these things start to happen more often. Wait till you get in your mid to late 70s, it happens even more.
I guess sometimes I feel guilty because of the fact that I truly have came so close to death several times and survived. Then I see ppl who didn't make it. Butbi have to realize that for some reason my time wasn't ready yet.
I am just really struggling because my buddy and I had JUST talked about our plans for that evening not more than 3 hrs before his wife was hit on her bike and he lost her. He was nine grilling ribs on his smoker grill waiting for her jast as he had talked about. Never in a million years while we were talking and laughing like we always do that instead of having his smoked ribs while chilling by their pond that he actually would be finding out that he lost his wife.
His last words on the phone keep haunting me when he said "Brother do me a favor when we hang up, go hug Lisa and tell her how much you love her because you never know and I will never be able to do that with Mary ever again"
Last night I didnt sleep hardly at all. I cant shake this, and i cant even imagine what he is feeling right now.
I am one of those very loyal friends and its killing me that I cant do anything for him but pray for him and be ready for him if he calls and needs me.
It's a very sad place to be. I know we r never promised our nest breath, but it is especially tough to face when you are living it personally.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 am Thank you all for you kind words and prayers. In the past year or so it just seems like I have lost so many close friends or people that I know well. I know it is a part of life but that just doesn't make it any easier when u face it.
My dad said Son you are reaching the age that these things start to happen more often. Wait till you get in your mid to late 70s, it happens even more.
I guess sometimes I feel guilty because of the fact that I truly have came so close to death several times and survived. Then I see ppl who didn't make it. Butbi have to realize that for some reason my time wasn't ready yet.
I am just really struggling because my buddy and I had JUST talked about our plans for that evening not more than 3 hrs before his wife was hit on her bike and he lost her. He was nine grilling ribs on his smoker grill waiting for her jast as he had talked about. Never in a million years while we were talking and laughing like we always do that instead of having his smoked ribs while chilling by their pond that he actually would be finding out that he lost his wife.
His last words on the phone keep haunting me when he said "Brother do me a favor when we hang up, go hug Lisa and tell her how much you love her because you never know and I will never be able to do that with Mary ever again"
Last night I didnt sleep hardly at all. I cant shake this, and i cant even imagine what he is feeling right now.
I am one of those very loyal friends and its killing me that I cant do anything for him but pray for him and be ready for him if he calls and needs me.
It's a very sad place to be. I know we r never promised our nest breath, but it is especially tough to face when you are living it personally.
A prayer has been said for you and your friend. You will see Mary again.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:08 am
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 am Thank you all for you kind words and prayers. In the past year or so it just seems like I have lost so many close friends or people that I know well. I know it is a part of life but that just doesn't make it any easier when u face it.
A prayer has been said for you and your friend. You will see Mary again.
VV I thank you so much for that . I needed that. That meant more to me than you know. I know the Word tells us Life here is but a vapor, but even though eternity is.. well eternity... the more time here is still filled with pain and sadness no matter how fleeting it is in the small scheme of things.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

That hit me VERY hard.
Wow, I'm fighting back tears right now. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my wife. Every time she's late coming home, I get a fleeting moment of terror, a fear of something similar happening to her.

Prayers for you and your friend. And you're right ... priorities.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Hey all. One of Mods on the Talk Vikes and Other Minnesota Sports has an 18 year old grand-nephew who was just hospitalized with COVID. I'm calling on you to resume the prayers. Thanks so much.
The Mod goes by TJSweens. His name is Tim Sweeney. I've requested the name of his grand-nephew. If he feels like sharing I will pass it on.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Not to bug anybody and hopefully you're all praying just not posting, but please don't forget about this.

Thanks,