2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:19 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:28 am Did you all realize the Vikings have actually signed a draft pick? :shock: :lol: :rock:
Nate Stanley 7th round QB.
Since Rookies are supposed to report to camp Tuesday do we all agree it might be a good idea to start signing some of them?
I'm sure some are reluctant due to the uncertainties and the NFL dragging its feet with safety protocols. There's also the uncertainty of the season, which is looking more and more like it will be played without fans if at all. The Vikings are offering season ticket holders the option to opt out of the 2020 season with a full refund.

Good for the Vikings to do that but they should offer credit for next year too
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:33 pm
S197 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I'm sure some are reluctant due to the uncertainties and the NFL dragging its feet with safety protocols. There's also the uncertainty of the season, which is looking more and more like it will be played without fans if at all. The Vikings are offering season ticket holders the option to opt out of the 2020 season with a full refund.

Good for the Vikings to do that but they should offer credit for next year too
That's also an option. Season ticket holders can opt out and it doesn't hurt their SBL for next year or apply this year's payment to 2021.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/7/22 ... -extension

Looks like the Wilfs want to extend Zimmer. This is interesting - and ends the speculation of whether Zim is on the hot seat this year
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

https://www.dailynorseman.com/

Multiple rookies finally signing. Jefferson, Cleveland, Lynch and several others
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:12 pm https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/7/22 ... -extension

Looks like the Wilfs want to extend Zimmer. This is interesting - and ends the speculation of whether Zim is on the hot seat this year
About time. :rock: :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:15 pm https://www.dailynorseman.com/

Multiple rookies finally signing. Jefferson, Cleveland, Lynch and several others
about time. :rock: :govikes:
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:12 pm https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/7/22 ... -extension

I hope not! You know Zimmer misses the playoffs every other year so if Zimmer misses the playoffs this year then it is a stupid decision to extend Zimmer
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:59 am

I hope not! You know Zimmer misses the playoffs every other year so if Zimmer misses the playoffs this year then it is a stupid decision to extend Zimmer
I'd wager that the 2020 Vikings (if they actually have a season) finish 3rd or 4th in the NFCN. Too many new faces in a pretty complicated defense. They traded Diggs and replaced him with an unknown. It just doesn't look good to me.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Unfortunately I agree, Cliff.
Not to mention no clear upgrades on the OL which was a weakness last year, particularly on the interior
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Griffin and Packers have mutual interest, it would suck to see Griffin sign with Packers
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Jefferson, Cole, Higby, and Brandel are all placed on the Covid-19 list
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eric Sugarman also tested positive.

Those players did not test positive, just have the potential to have been exposed somehow.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

MICHAEL PIERCE
DL, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Citing respiratory issues, Vikings NT Michael Pierce has joined the growing list of players opting out of the 2020 NFL season.
Pierce, who signed a three-year, $27 million contract with Minnesota in March, has asthma and has had pneumonia in the past three years. “If I caught (the coronavirus), I probably would be in some real trouble,” Pierce told the Pioneer Press. He'll be eligible for the $350,000 stipend for players who opt out due to health reasons.

SOURCE: Pioneer Press
Jul 28, 2020, 1:12 PM ET

I believe this is a wise decision by him, but devastating to the Vikings Defense. We have nobody capable of replacing him. :hitfan:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pierce Replacement?

Former Lions player Damon Harrison says he was 'hell-bent' to get out of Detroit
play
Michael Rothstein looks back on Damon Harrison's time with the Lions and examines the state of the team's defensive line heading into the draft. (1:20)

Apr 14, 2020
ESPN
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
Former Lions defensive tackle Damon "Snacks" Harrison says he didn't want to play in Detroit and was "hell-bent on getting out" of the Motor City.

The Lions traded for Harrison on Oct. 25, 2018, sending a fifth-round pick to the New York Giants.

"I was a bit angry," Harrison said of the trade during an appearance on the Green Light podcast, hosted by former NFL player Chris Long.

That season, Harrison was graded by Pro Football Focus as the No. 3 interior defender in the NFL, with the best run-stop percentage in the league (16%).

EDITOR'S PICKS

The NFL draft is going virtual: How it will work, and what you should know

NFL, union agree on offseason home workouts
"To be completely honest with you, I didn't want to go to Detroit because of some things that I heard from some guys in the past and some guys who were there," Harrison said. "So when I got the call that that's where I was traded, I didn't answer the phone for a couple hours. [Lions general manager] Bob Quinn was calling me and I didn't pick up the phone because I was trying to figure out a way to get out of it."

After sitting out all of the spring workouts last year, Harrison, one of the top run-stoppers in the league, was placed on the non-football injury list before signing an extension, which converted much of his base salary into a $7.5 million signing bonus.

"I wasn't prepared for the season mentally," Harrison said.

"I came into camp in shape, but during the first three weeks of camp I think I kind of worked myself out of shape because I wasn't doing anything," Harrison said. "That was a time where, to be honest with you, we were trying to facilitate a trade. I was hell-bent on getting out of there."

By the end of the 2019 season, Harrison told reporters he was contemplating retirement after he played through a multitude of injuries and "wasn't able to ever get back to the form I'm used to."

Harrison, who turned 31 in November, finished last season with a career-low 49 tackles.

The veteran defensive lineman is a free agent after being released by the Lions in what he called "a mutual agreement" on Feb. 25. He had two years remaining on his deal after signing the $11 million extension in August.

"It's nothing against the people of Detroit, the city or anything like that," the eight-year veteran said. "I'll forever love the city of Detroit, but I just had to go try to put myself into a situation where I saw myself there for two or three years to end my career, and I just didn't see myself in Detroit for that long."
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:28 pm MICHAEL PIERCE
DL, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Citing respiratory issues, Vikings NT Michael Pierce has joined the growing list of players opting out of the 2020 NFL season.
Pierce, who signed a three-year, $27 million contract with Minnesota in March, has asthma and has had pneumonia in the past three years. “If I caught (the coronavirus), I probably would be in some real trouble,” Pierce told the Pioneer Press. He'll be eligible for the $350,000 stipend for players who opt out due to health reasons.

SOURCE: Pioneer Press
Jul 28, 2020, 1:12 PM ET

I believe this is a wise decision by him, but devastating to the Vikings Defense. We have nobody capable of replacing him. :hitfan:
That really sucks but it is a good decision since his health is more important than football