Wilf Family May Purchase Timberwolves

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Wilf Family May Purchase Timberwolves

Post by Rhodes Closed »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/295 ... atform=amp
Navigation ToggleESPN
Sources: Wilf family emerges as top candidate to buy Wolves

ADAM SCHEFTER
ESPN Senior Writer
10:04 PM ET2 Minute Read
The Wilf family that owns the Minnesota Vikings has emerged as a serious candidate to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves, NFL sources told ESPN.

Only recently did the Wilfs emerge as one of the groups bidding to buy the NBA team in their city from billionaire Glen Taylor, sources said. There are several bidders for the team, including metropolitan New York real estate developer Meyer Orbach, who bought a minority stake in the Timberwolves in 2016. Former Timberwolves' standout Kevin Garnett also said he is forming a group to try to purchase the team.

But the Wilfs appear to be in a prime spot at this time to buy the team, though a decision on the sale might not be made until September, sources said.

Taylor has owned the team since 1994, when he bought it for about $88 million. He has retained The Raine Group to sell the franchise. He is seeking at least $1.2 billion that has been valued at close to $1.4 billion.

Taylor told the Athletic that he will not sell the team to a group that wants to move it out of Minneapolis.

"People have inquired who are interested but they want to move the team," he said. "They are not a candidate. We've made that very clear."

The Wifs bought the Vikings from Red McCombs in 2005 for $600 million. The franchise's value now likely would be well over $3 billion. Zygi Wilf is the Vikings' principal owner, Mark Wilf is the president and co-owner and Leonard Wilf is co-owner and vice chairman. They have been active in Minnesota, getting U.S. Bank Stadium built, building a state-of-the-art training facility for the Vikings, and then just last month, donating $5 million to various social justice causes on top of the $5 million they donated to COVID-19 relief.

Now their scope and power in Minnesota could be expanding. They are in pursuit of a Timberwolves' team that would give their family a sports empire in Minnesota.
Understandably not "Vikings" news per say, but does have quite a bit to do with Minnesota in general and since the Wilfs are involved, I felt it was somewhat appropriate to post here to garner some discussion.

Thoughts on this? Knowing what we know about the Wilf family, I believe this could be a very good move for the Wolves as they desperately need an owner other than Glenn Taylor.

Apologies if this isn't particularly what folks are looking for and if it's against the rules feel free to lock it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Wilf Family May Purchase Timberwolves

Post by VikingsVictorious »

The cool thing would be to have the KG led group buy the team. If not KG the Wilf's would do.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am not a Timberwolves fan but I am surprised Wilfs are interested in buying Timberwolves but I have always liked Garrett and hope he will own the Timberwolves, it would be cool
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:28 am I am not a Timberwolves fan but I am surprised Wilfs are interested in buying Timberwolves but I have always liked Garrett and hope he will own the Timberwolves, it would be cool
It's Garnett or KG. Watch out for the Auto-Correct. :shock:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 am The cool thing would be to have the KG led group buy the team. If not KG the Wilf's would do.
I have heard some very negative things about the type of person KG is. I too really liked him when he was a player here, he turned the franchise around, but since he left I have heard a number of really troublesome stories about how he treats the people around him.

The idea of the KG we all loved during his first stint in MN becoming the owner of the Wolves is intriguing, but it doesn't sound like the real KG is the type of person who you would want running your favorite NBA team.

Now, if he could get free agents to actually want to play in MN, I don't really care if he is a ####.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Has a owner own 2 different teams and had success? I am just wondering just in case Wilfs buy the Timberwolves
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:13 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 am The cool thing would be to have the KG led group buy the team. If not KG the Wilf's would do.
I have heard some very negative things about the type of person KG is. I too really liked him when he was a player here, he turned the franchise around, but since he left I have heard a number of really troublesome stories about how he treats the people around him.

The idea of the KG we all loved during his first stint in MN becoming the owner of the Wolves is intriguing, but it doesn't sound like the real KG is the type of person who you would want running your favorite NBA team.

Now, if he could get free agents to actually want to play in MN, I don't really care if he is a ####.
KG doesn't have enough to invest to be the managing partner. He is competitive to a fault. He crosses the line sometimes. I still like him a lot. My screen name for most sports related activities like Yahoo Sports and ESPN is KGdaBom.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 am Has a owner own 2 different teams and had success? I am just wondering just in case Wilfs buy the Timberwolves
Most notable would be Stan Kroenke, who bought the Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets in 2000, and bought the Rams in 1995.

There's also Paul Allen (not *that* PA) who owns the Seahawks and the Trailblazers.

On the other side of the coin though, is James Dolan, who owns the Knicks and the Rangers.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I heard Taylor would have a sit down with guys on the team before he would give them a massive contract that would become a mistake before the ink dried. Wanted to look them in the eye when he asked them if they would continue to give it their all once they got a big, fully guaranteed contract. Surprisingly, that didn't work.

The Wilfs seem like they wouldn't be as hands on, which might be a good thing. Make sure you have the right management in place, and then let them do the job you pay them millions to do.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 am Has a owner own 2 different teams and had success? I am just wondering just in case Wilfs buy the Timberwolves
Most notable would be Stan Kroenke, who bought the Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets in 2000, and bought the Rams in 1995.

There's also Paul Allen (not *that* PA) who owns the Seahawks and the Trailblazers.

On the other side of the coin though, is James Dolan, who owns the Knicks and the Rangers.
Dolan never had success with the Knicks and Rangers
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 am

Which is what I said. He's the *other* side of the coin.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:05 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Which is what I said. He's the *other* side of the coin.
Ahh, got it
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Latest word is the Wilf's are not interested in buying the Wolves.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm Latest word is the Wilf's are not interested in buying the Wolves.
Good, they should focus on the Vikings