2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Huge Breaking News. Not Vikings related forgive me.

PATRICK MAHOMES
QB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Chiefs signed QB Patrick Mahomes to a 10-year extension through 2031.
Ten-year contracts are literally unheard of in the NFL, but if anybody is worth one, it's certainly last year's Super Bowl MVP. Turning 25 in September, Mahomes won the regular-season MVP award in 2018, leading the league with 50 touchdown passes. He took a step back from a statistical perspective last year, but Mahomes put the team on his back when it mattered most in the playoffs, leading multiple postseason comebacks en route to the Chiefs' first Super Bowl title since 1969. Mahomes is on the fast track of becoming the best quarterback in history. The Chiefs had just one player signed through 2024 -- K Harrison Butker -- and Mahomes is inked seven years past that. He's tied to Kansas City through his age-36 season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jul 6, 2020, 2:55 PM ET
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm Huge Breaking News. Not Vikings related forgive me.

PATRICK MAHOMES
QB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Ten-year contracts are literally unheard of in the NFL, but if anybody is worth one, it's certainly last year's Super Bowl MVP. Turning 25 in September, Mahomes won the regular-season MVP award in 2018, leading the league with 50 touchdown passes. He took a step back from a statistical perspective last year, but Mahomes put the team on his back when it mattered most in the playoffs, leading multiple postseason comebacks en route to the Chiefs' first Super Bowl title since 1969. Mahomes is on the fast track of becoming the best quarterback in history. The Chiefs had just one player signed through 2024 -- K Harrison Butker -- and Mahomes is inked seven years past that. He's tied to Kansas City through his age-36 season.

I would not call that huge breaking news, it is expected 🤷‍♂️ Now let’s see if Cowboys are dumb enough to give Dak that much money
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm Huge Breaking News. Not Vikings related forgive me.

PATRICK MAHOMES
QB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

I would not call that huge breaking news, it is expected 🤷‍♂️ Now let’s see if Cowboys are dumb enough to give Dak that much money
It's not the Money tho, it's the 10 years.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:15 am

It is a pretty team friendly deal. Essentially a 1 year extension with 9 consecutive years of a team option. Now, the team option is pricey (cutting him costs them his current year's salary at any point), but to put it in perspective, if the Vikings keep giving Cousins extensions similar to the most recent one, Mahomes will never make more than Kirk Cousins. :rofl:
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I remember Vikings gave Randy a 8 year deal worth $75 million but he only stayed for 3 years until he got traded to the Raiders
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:29 am
Cliff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:15 am

It is a pretty team friendly deal. Essentially a 1 year extension with 9 consecutive years of a team option. Now, the team option is pricey (cutting him costs them his current year's salary at any point), but to put it in perspective, if the Vikings keep giving Cousins extensions similar to the most recent one, Mahomes will never make more than Kirk Cousins. :rofl:
I was going to post something similar. Once you get past the big number and the 10-years, it's actually a mutually beneficial contract. Mahomes will get paid while the Chiefs are able to manage their cap. If you assume cap inflation (cap may go down next year but likely an outlier) it's even an better deal for the Chiefs.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PATRICK MAHOMES
QB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Being expected or not it's still HUGE news and it is breaking because I reported it very shortly after it became known. It seems it is 10 years at 50 Million a year and whatever the hell guaranteed mechanisms are it would likely lead to 477 million of the 503 million being guaranteed. Don't get injured Patrick.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 am

Being expected or not it's still HUGE news and it is breaking because I reported it very shortly after it became known. It seems it is 10 years at 50 Million a year and whatever the hell guaranteed mechanisms are it would likely lead to 477 million of the 503 million being guaranteed. Don't get injured Patrick.
But everyone knew Patrick was going to get paid so that is why I said it is expected but anyway, if they do not want Patrick to get injured then the offensive line needs to step up
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:50 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 am
But everyone knew Patrick was going to get paid so that is why I said it is expected but anyway, if they do not want Patrick to get injured then the offensive line needs to step up
I certainly wasn't expecting ten years and was thinking a 5 year deal similar to Wilson's. The Chiefs really were forward thinking with this deal, and there is a good chance Mahomes is never the highest paid QB in any given year, and will be making 45 million a year in 2025 while other teams are paying lesser QBs 50 million per year. Maybe we should have expected it though, since I believe Reid gave McNabb a 12 year extension.

Very few star QBs get hurt to the point their careers are ended. More often they just miss most of a year and are back the following season. In those cases the 10 year versus the typical 5 doesn't really come into play. If somehow he does have a career ending injury, KC is screwed no matter how much they owe Mahomes.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:19 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:50 am

I certainly wasn't expecting ten years and was thinking a 5 year deal similar to Wilson's. The Chiefs really were forward thinking with this deal, and there is a good chance Mahomes is never the highest paid QB in any given year, and will be making 45 million a year in 2025 while other teams are paying lesser QBs 50 million per year. Maybe we should have expected it though, since I believe Reid gave McNabb a 12 year extension.

Very few star QBs get hurt to the point their careers are ended. More often they just miss most of a year and are back the following season. In those cases the 10 year versus the typical 5 doesn't really come into play. If somehow he does have a career ending injury, KC is screwed no matter how much they owe Mahomes.
But they would be screwed on a level possibly never seen before. :hitfan:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:19 am

But they would be screwed on a level possibly never seen before. :hitfan:
I wonder how that injury guarantee works and if it goes down every year he is healthy? If he gets a career ending injury next year, would that 170 or so million guaranteed on injury be spread out over the entirety of the contract? 10 years of paying 17 million to a QB who isn't on the roster would suck.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Did you all realize the Vikings have actually signed a draft pick? :shock: :lol: :rock:
Nate Stanley 7th round QB.
Since Rookies are supposed to report to camp Tuesday do we all agree it might be a good idea to start signing some of them?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:28 am Did you all realize the Vikings have actually signed a draft pick? :shock: :lol: :rock:
Since Rookies are supposed to report to camp Tuesday do we all agree it might be a good idea to start signing some of them?
Yeah, I knew that last week
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:28 am Did you all realize the Vikings have actually signed a draft pick? :shock: :lol: :rock:
I'm sure some are reluctant due to the uncertainties and the NFL dragging its feet with safety protocols. There's also the uncertainty of the season, which is looking more and more like it will be played without fans if at all. The Vikings are offering season ticket holders the option to opt out of the 2020 season with a full refund.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:19 pm
I'm sure some are reluctant due to the uncertainties and the NFL dragging its feet with safety protocols. There's also the uncertainty of the season, which is looking more and more like it will be played without fans if at all. The Vikings are offering season ticket holders the option to opt out of the 2020 season with a full refund.
Anything less would be a PR nightmare.