Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by VikingLord »

Just saw this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/289 ... =editorial

I guess I'm not surprised. Cook wasn't going to make anywhere near what his performance indicated he was worth.

I like Cook. I think he's a dynamic playmaker and adds a home run potential to the running game when he's on the field.

But, there are two things working against him that I think make it unlikely he'll get paid by the Vikings. The first is he can't stay healthy. He was awesome to start last season, but he suffered some mid-season injuries and wasn't the same. Layer that on top of his prior knee injury that cost him almost all of his rookie season and you've got a guy playing an injury-prone position who is great when healthy but can't stay healthy. The second is the Vikings don't have a lot of cap room to do another big extension, plus they seem to have decent depth at RB and if they could survive a holdout at any position, RB is probably that position.

I was hoping Cook would play out the final season of his rookie deal and show he can stay healthy and productive. By the middle of next season it should be clearer if he merits an extension and what the Vikings can do to give him one if he does. Holding out at this point doesn't help answer those questions.

Maybe Spielman can swing another Diggs-like deal for Cook?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by VikingPaul73 »

ugh.
I wonder what conversations Rick had with Cook's agent before the draft. It seems with 15 picks (or whatever it was) they would have put a higher priority on RB if they had any inkling that this would happen.
Hopefully they can work something out without breaking the bank. Really love watching this guy and he adds another dimension to the offense
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not all that surprising, RBs need to make their money while they can.

No Cook, no Diggs, no secondary. I don't know that we've upgraded at any area this off-season. At least in the short term. Maybe DL if Pierce plays well and someone can fill Griffen's void.

We could be in for a rough season.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Not surprising. I wonder what they can get for Cook at this point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Would Cook be able to accept like a performance based deal since he can not stay healthy? If not, trade him and start Mattison
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The Vikings offense *is* Dalvin Cook and yet Cousins is the one getting paid. I'd want a new deal too.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:31 pm Not all that surprising, RBs need to make their money while they can.

No Cook, no Diggs, no secondary. I don't know that we've upgraded at any area this off-season. At least in the short term. Maybe DL if Pierce plays well and someone can fill Griffen's void.

We could be in for a rough season.
Yup. It's going to be a rough year to be a Vikings fan. The 2017 window is fully closed and we're about to experience the fallout from trying to jam the 2018 and 2019 teams through it.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:19 pm Just saw this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/289 ... =editorial

I guess I'm not surprised. Cook wasn't going to make anywhere near what his performance indicated he was worth.

I like Cook. I think he's a dynamic playmaker and adds a home run potential to the running game when he's on the field.

But, there are two things working against him that I think make it unlikely he'll get paid by the Vikings. The first is he can't stay healthy. He was awesome to start last season, but he suffered some mid-season injuries and wasn't the same. Layer that on top of his prior knee injury that cost him almost all of his rookie season and you've got a guy playing an injury-prone position who is great when healthy but can't stay healthy. The second is the Vikings don't have a lot of cap room to do another big extension, plus they seem to have decent depth at RB and if they could survive a holdout at any position, RB is probably that position.

I was hoping Cook would play out the final season of his rookie deal and show he can stay healthy and productive. By the middle of next season it should be clearer if he merits an extension and what the Vikings can do to give him one if he does. Holding out at this point doesn't help answer those questions.

Maybe Spielman can swing another Diggs-like deal for Cook?
I doubt it since Cook has not played a full season yet, Vikings might get a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder or 5th rounder for Cook, that is it
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

A fair deal for Cook is 10 million a year, if he does not like it, trade him to an awful team
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I was on the fence about extending him, but it has gotten to the point now where not doing so would ruin the season.

Running back holdouts destroy teams. The Steelers, Cowboys and LAC all went from playoff team to .500 or worse and not making the playoffs in the years their RBs held out. Not only is it a massive distraction, it is a killer for team morale to see management refuse to pay the hardest working player on the team.

I am not sure what he is asking for, but as long as their aren't a lot of guarantees involved, they need to pay him.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:11 pm I was on the fence about extending him, but it has gotten to the point now where not doing so would ruin the season.

Running back holdouts destroy teams. The Steelers, Cowboys and LAC all went from playoff team to .500 or worse and not making the playoffs in the years their RBs held out. Not only is it a massive distraction, it is a killer for team morale to see management refuse to pay the hardest working player on the team.

I am not sure what he is asking for, but as long as their aren't a lot of guarantees involved, they need to pay him.
Why? If Cook continues to get hurt then you are going to be wishing that Vikings did not give him a contract
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:11 pm I was on the fence about extending him, but it has gotten to the point now where not doing so would ruin the season.

Why? If Cook continues to get hurt then you are going to be wishing that Vikings did not give him a contract
If Cook holds out, we will be lucky to win 6 games.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:33 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 pm

What? Mattison will replace Cook with no problem
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The other issue is the salary cap is likely to go DOWN in 2021.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:50 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:33 pm

What? Mattison will replace Cook with no problem
He might. He might also have a few great games and get hurt. Or he might struggle in the role of a starter.

The guy has never started a game and you KNOW he will easily replace a top 5 back? Can you also tell me the holdout won't hurt the team from a distraction standpoint?

Seems to me the best Vikings team we can field this year is one with Cook AND Mattison. If this year is a lost cause anyway, blow it all up. If there is a chance at winning it all, put the best team you can out there.