Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:27 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 am

The games won't take place if the police are disbanded. The money won't allow it. At least not in Minneapolis. Maybe outside of the city, maybe in another state, like San Antonio, TX, where they have an empty stadium and led the AFL in attendance. If it comes to that, don't be surprised if the Vikings never come back.
I don't support the initiative to disband the police but many of you guys assumptions are based on fear of the unknown. We don't know what it would be like. However, I can point to statistical evidence that shows that as the amount of policing decreases so does the amount of crime. I show it is not on a ratio of 1:1 but maybe a bell curve where there is an optimal amount of policing and anything less than that amount leads us also seeing an increase in crime.
I'm not personally talking about anything that has to do with fear of the unknown, I'm just saying insurance companies won't cover a major event in a city without a police force. That means the Vikings won't be playing in Minneapolis if the city disbands the police. I'm strictly trying to address only the issue as it relates to the Minnesota Vikings and eschew all other political commentary.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

There is no way a major city just fires all cops and calls it a day. I don't know where that is coming from but the chances of that actually happening are between zero and none.

Nobody will visit a major city without law enforcement in place. Nobody will want to live there, either. And yes, nobody would want to attend a Vikings game there, especially Packer fans coming across the border...

Come to think of it, maybe no police isn't a bad idea...

Just kidding... :ripple:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:40 pm There is no way a major city just fires all cops and calls it a day. I don't know where that is coming from but the chances of that actually happening are between zero and none.

Nobody will visit a major city without law enforcement in place. Nobody will want to live there, either. And yes, nobody would want to attend a Vikings game there, especially Packer fans coming across the border...

I believe its coming from the city council.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:40 pm There is no way a major city just fires all cops and calls it a day. I don't know where that is coming from but the chances of that actually happening are between zero and none.

I believe its coming from the city council.
I have heard the Mayor has the power to veto it, and he will. He actually has to live with the consequences of stupid decisions, while the City Council members can go around pledging their support for the Antifa group that tried to burn down their city.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:14 pm
I have heard the Mayor has the power to veto it, and he will. He actually has to live with the consequences of stupid decisions, while the City Council members can go around pledging their support for the Antifa group that tried to burn down their city.
I keep reading this -

"The overwhelming support on the 13-member council reflects a veto-proof majority."
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:40 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 am
I read it in an article.
I meant I did not think he worked at US Bank Stadium
yes I know that's what you thought. However, it was from an article that I read he did. Now that article may or may not have been wrong.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

cogitator wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:39 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:14 pm
I keep reading this -

"The overwhelming support on the 13-member council reflects a veto-proof majority."
In the words of Gandalf to Saruman. "Tell me friend when did Saruman The Wise abandon reason for madness?". A major city disbanding the police department. WTF. I saw a car today in my little town of Flagstaff AZ with a sign saying Black Lives Matter. Blue Lives Don't. WTF is wrong with our world.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:08 am

I keep reading this -

In the words of Gandalf to Saruman. "Tell me friend when did Saruman The Wise abandon reason for madness?". A major city disbanding the police department. WTF. I saw a car today in my little town of Flagstaff AZ with a sign saying Black Lives Matter. Blue Lives Don't. WTF is wrong with our world.
The Modern era in America is being supplanted by the Post-Modern era.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 am
Could you explain what that means for me? I'm not very good with Post-Modern.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:47 am
fiestavike wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 am

Could you explain what that means for me? I'm not very good with Post-Modern.
Sure, let's take it to PM. Its bound to go far afield of anything Vikings related.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

cogitator wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm
I don't support the initiative to disband the police but many of you guys assumptions are based on fear of the unknown. We don't know what it would be like. However, I can point to statistical evidence that shows that as the amount of policing decreases so does the amount of crime. I show it is not on a ratio of 1:1 but maybe a bell curve where there is an optimal amount of policing and anything less than that amount leads us also seeing an increase in crime.
Please do point to that statistical evidence with a link.

Should be an interesting social experiment, and I look forward to observing it from a great distance.

I think the law of unintended consequences may come into play here.
https://www.latimes.com/science/science ... story.html
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I keep reading this -

Blue Lives isn't a thing. It's a job. I wish people would stop trying to pretend it is. The whole Blue Lives Matter BS was simple to silence Black people complaining of police brutality. Sickening.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm not personally talking about anything that has to do with fear of the unknown, I'm just saying insurance companies won't cover a major event in a city without a police force. That means the Vikings won't be playing in Minneapolis if the city disbands the police. I'm strictly trying to address only the issue as it relates to the Minnesota Vikings and eschew all other political commentary.
How do you know that Vikings games wont go one without police? What if the event hires private security. Your assumption is that University of Minn won't be playing football either. You would be wrong on both counts. Football can be played without police. My comment about the fear of the unknown is strictly related to what a world without a police force looks like. To assume that everything will cease to exist is silly. I don't know what it looks like and I don't know if I want it but I know that Capitalism is too powerful a device to let any industry stop it.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/28/u ... loyd-death
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/disba ... index.html
A smaller city disbanded their police department and created a new one. Crime cut in half due to correcting the police corruption.

Most that are in favor of defunding the police, cite they would replace some of the services with alternative services. I read somewhere that 3/4ths of the calls to 911 are for a combo of Fire and mental health emergencies. The plans are to take much of the funding that go to the police, stop them from responding to calls they are not trained to handle and set up teams of professionals to answer those calls. Let the police deal with crimes and take all of the other crap off their shoulders.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:34 pm
Blue Lives isn't a thing. It's a job. I wish people would stop trying to pretend it is. The whole Blue Lives Matter BS was simple to silence Black people complaining of police brutality. Sickening.
Police do a very dangerous job. Many die in the line of duty. Blue Lives is a very big thing and their safety on the job absolutely deserves consideration. There's video of a local Flagstaff cop being killed because he hesitated. It sucks that sometimes they don't hesitate when they should. Sometimes the answers are easy. Sometimes the answers are nearly impossible.