Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I’m reading stuff that the Minneapolis City Council is committed to disbanding the police department via a veto-proof vote. They say they’re going to invest in a “community-led Public safety system,”

Wondering how that might play into your decision to attend Vikings games if this happens.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 pm I’m reading stuff that the Minneapolis City Council is committed to disbanding the police department via a veto-proof vote. They say they’re going to invest in a “community-led Public safety system,”

Wondering how that might play into your decision to attend Vikings games if this happens.
I believe the Vikings already pay the city of Minneapolis for an extra police presence on Sunday.

Maybe they just pay that money to another city to hire their police force to handle the games?

I don't think they actually disband the police department, but if they did, I assume the companies downtown would increase their security and create a private police force of sorts to protect their employees and customers. Same would go for the Vikings to protect their fans.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 pm I’m reading stuff that the Minneapolis City Council is committed to disbanding the police department via a veto-proof vote. They say they’re going to invest in a “community-led Public safety system,”

I believe the Vikings already pay the city of Minneapolis for an extra police presence on Sunday.

Maybe they just pay that money to another city to hire their police force to handle the games?

I don't think they actually disband the police department, but if they did, I assume the companies downtown would increase their security and create a private police force of sorts to protect their employees and customers. Same would go for the Vikings to protect their fans.
If I understand correctly George Floyd was security at US Bank Stadium.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am

No idea. I know he did security at a local club with the officer who killed him, so it is possible.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I do not think he did or articles would have mentioned it
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I could see them having trouble getting event insurance. Games may have to be played outside of the city.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

To answer your question Kapp, I would go by myself, but would not take the family into that situation.

If the Minneapolis city council gets their way it will cost the lives of a lot of innocent folks and cause even more hurt in neighborhoods that have had to deal with too much already.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am To answer your question Kapp, I would go by myself, but would not take the family into that situation.

If the Minneapolis city council gets their way it will cost the lives of a lot of innocent folks and cause even more hurt in neighborhoods that have had to deal with too much already.
The games won't take place if the police are disbanded. The money won't allow it. At least not in Minneapolis. Maybe outside of the city, maybe in another state, like San Antonio, TX, where they have an empty stadium and led the AFL in attendance. If it comes to that, don't be surprised if the Vikings never come back.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 am
I read it in an article.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am
No idea. I know he did security at a local club with the officer who killed him, so it is possible.
So you can confirm he worked security, but can't confirm US Bank Stadium. That's what I thought I read, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 am

I read it in an article.
I meant I did not think he worked at US Bank Stadium
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If anything were to happen, it would be well after the season is over would be my guess. This type of change cannot happen in a matter of months.

I've never felt anything but completely safe attending games and I don't anticipate that changing.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am To answer your question Kapp, I would go by myself, but would not take the family into that situation.

Where is your proof of this?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 am

The games won't take place if the police are disbanded. The money won't allow it. At least not in Minneapolis. Maybe outside of the city, maybe in another state, like San Antonio, TX, where they have an empty stadium and led the AFL in attendance. If it comes to that, don't be surprised if the Vikings never come back.
I don't support the initiative to disband the police but many of you guys assumptions are based on fear of the unknown. We don't know what it would be like. However, I can point to statistical evidence that shows that as the amount of policing decreases so does the amount of crime. I show it is not on a ratio of 1:1 but maybe a bell curve where there is an optimal amount of policing and anything less than that amount leads us also seeing an increase in crime.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:27 pm
I don't support the initiative to disband the police but many of you guys assumptions are based on fear of the unknown. We don't know what it would be like. However, I can point to statistical evidence that shows that as the amount of policing decreases so does the amount of crime. I show it is not on a ratio of 1:1 but maybe a bell curve where there is an optimal amount of policing and anything less than that amount leads us also seeing an increase in crime.
Please do point to that statistical evidence with a link.

Should be an interesting social experiment, and I look forward to observing it from a great distance.

I think the law of unintended consequences may come into play here.