Vikings Brother in bad health

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:20 pm Its not exactly the same. Sedation allows one to still have much of their functions. For example, people have woken up during surgery with sedation. A medically induced coma is a deeper level of "sedation" where the patient has no retention of their bodily functions. Clear differences in the two.
I'm not an anesthesiologist so I can't speak to the details of the drugs used, but the point of general anesthesia is to render someone unconscious for a period of time so that surgery can be performed safely. There are forms of sedation that don't render the person completely unconscious, but those are not used for vents as vents require complete immobilization.

The cases of people waking up during surgery are very rare (thankfully!) and not intended. In many of those cases someone made a mistake or something unusual happened. My guess is someone somewhere has regained consciousness unexpectedly from an induced coma as well.
I am not saying what you said was incorrect, just trying to point out the differences two. One is to stop activity in the brain. The other is to reduce the sensation of pain. The one literally subdues brain function for periods of time. The others is just a deeper level of unconsciousness.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm Still no update on Bruce. Please continue prayers.
I keep checking in a few times a day to see if there is an update. I know sometimes it's hard to find out what's going on in a time like this.
He and his family are still in prayer. Its heartbreaking everyday to see the toll this is taking, and my wife and I just said last night we are just scared of hearing someone else we know being affected by it.
I hope you are able to post a positive update to Bruce's condition soon brother.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I finally have an update. It's a few days old. Posted just now on Talk Vikes message board.

jbusse
I found this update via a social media post, dated 4 days ago:

"Bruce is on the ventilator at 50% and he's on the antiviral drug Remdesivir. His temperature fluctuates. They're giving him Tylenol for his fever and I'm sure something else to make him comfortable. Rhoda and family skyped him and he waved! He's been sick for a month now."

Bethesda Hospital.

Good news considering the circumstances.

I agree that it is good news all things considered. He is not in an induced coma or even fully sedated at least as of 4 days ago.
Thanks to all of you for your efforts. He is in God's hands at least IMO.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

That's great to hear an update that he sounds to be heading in the right direction.
I live in Ohio, and during the Governor's press conference the other day they showed a video of an Ohio doctor who ended up contacting the covoid virus. He is a younger guy, around 45 I believe and was very healthy. He was on a ventilator and in an induced coma for a few weeks. Praise the Lord he is now home and doing great. He shared his battle.
So let's continue to pray that our Viking Brother will have the exact same outcome.
Thanks for the update.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 am That's great to hear an update that he sounds to be heading in the right direction.
I live in Ohio, and during the Governor's press conference the other day they showed a video of an Ohio doctor who ended up contacting the covoid virus. He is a younger guy, around 45 I believe and was very healthy. He was on a ventilator and in an induced coma for a few weeks. Praise the Lord he is now home and doing great. He shared his battle.
So let's continue to pray that our Viking Brother will have the exact same outcome.
Thanks for the update.
You're very welcome. By the way I just found out that today happens to be Bruce's Birthday.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:27 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 am That's great to hear an update that he sounds to be heading in the right direction.
Thanks for the update.
You're very welcome. By the way I just found out that today happens to be Bruce's Birthday.
Well let's hope for a big birthday recovery!
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 am I finally have an update. It's a few days old. Posted just now on Talk Vikes message board.

jbusse
I found this update via a social media post, dated 4 days ago:

"Bruce is on the ventilator at 50% and he's on the antiviral drug Remdesivir. His temperature fluctuates. They're giving him Tylenol for his fever and I'm sure something else to make him comfortable. Rhoda and family skyped him and he waved! He's been sick for a month now."

Bethesda Hospital.

Good news considering the circumstances.

I agree that it is good news all things considered. He is not in an induced coma or even fully sedated at least as of 4 days ago.
Thanks to all of you for your efforts. He is in God's hands at least IMO.
Thanks for the update Rick. He’s in the hands of the only one that matters. We take this as encouraging news and raise our prayer levels higher for a full and complete recovery. Our prayers are from the heart and not whims of our mind. God bless
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Any further updates?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm Any further updates?
No and that is not good. He has been on the vent for 21 days now. Usually the hope is for no more than 2 weeks. Keep praying.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm Any further updates?
No and that is not good. He has been on the vent for 21 days now. Usually the hope is for no more than 2 weeks. Keep praying.
We've had a patient at my hospital come off after 43 days. Don't lose hope yet.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:19 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm
We've had a patient at my hospital come off after 43 days. Don't lose hope yet.
Thanks a lot and I never do lose hope.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

A message from Bruce

RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 6:40:48 AM
Bruce Johnson
I'm very emotional this morning with an amazing story to share. Still in the hospital, but grateful to MN medicine
It was hard for me to write this, so please give me time to get up to speed.

I"m in tears, but he may not be completely out of the woods yet. Keep up the Prayers.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:26 am A message from Bruce

Bruce Johnson
I'm very emotional this morning with an amazing story to share. Still in the hospital, but grateful to MN medicine

I"m in tears, but he may not be completely out of the woods yet. Keep up the Prayers.
Thank you for that report. Gotta admit very misty eyed reading it. I needed to see that and pray and hope for continued recovery.
Unfortunately I have had to see many deaths lately. A guy from my small town my age, 55, just lost a 3 year battle with cancer. He leaves behind a wife, 3 children and grandkids.
My wife personally knows a few people who have lost lived ones over in Indiana to the covid.
And tragically, a very close co worker friend's son, who had just graduated high school and was headed for law school, and 3 of his H.S. friends were driving down the road when a 23 yr old women was speeding, went off the road, overcorrected and crossed into their lane and hit them head on. All 5 of them involved were lost.
And then to add to it , her actual best work friend let her know that this past weekend her cousins husband and son were on Lake Erie fishing and somehow their boat capsized and turned over. They rescue crew found the boat with their puppy sitting on top of the boat. They found the bodies of the father and son the next day.
So it's been a very bad few weeks of news here.
So if you could, please also lift these people up in a little prayer of comfort.
I hope you continue to be able to share positive updates.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:50 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:26 am A message from Bruce

Bruce Johnson

Thank you for that report. Gotta admit very misty eyed reading it. I needed to see that and pray and hope for continued recovery.
Unfortunately I have had to see many deaths lately. A guy from my small town my age, 55, just lost a 3 year battle with cancer. He leaves behind a wife, 3 children and grandkids.
My wife personally knows a few people who have lost lived ones over in Indiana to the covid.
And tragically, a very close co worker friend's son, who had just graduated high school and was headed for law school, and 3 of his H.S. friends were driving down the road when a 23 yr old women was speeding, went off the road, overcorrected and crossed into their lane and hit them head on. All 5 of them involved were lost.
And then to add to it , her actual best work friend let her know that this past weekend her cousins husband and son were on Lake Erie fishing and somehow their boat capsized and turned over. They rescue crew found the boat with their puppy sitting on top of the boat. They found the bodies of the father and son the next day.
So if you could, please also lift these people up in a little prayer of comfort.
Rick, that is such great news and thanks to our God for answered prayers of many on this board. Our prayers continue until he is fully recovered. Brett, it was heartbreaking reading your post. All the sorrow and heartache. I know firsthand, having lost my wife at 38. My prayers are longer for the last three months as so many people are living in quiet desperation, misery and heartache. Remembering you and your family in prayers also. As a country, we need God more than ever. God help us.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Frozen Rope wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:05 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:50 pm

Rick, that is such great news and thanks to our God for answered prayers of many on this board. Our prayers continue until he is fully recovered. Brett, it was heartbreaking reading your post. All the sorrow and heartache. I know firsthand, having lost my wife at 38. My prayers are longer for the last three months as so many people are living in quiet desperation, misery and heartache. Remembering you and your family in prayers also. As a country, we need God more than ever. God help us.
Thanks again to both of you and all. So sorry Brett?
Bruce made another post this morning.

Bruce Johnson
I got the virus bad and was unconscious for a long time. I almost didn't make it. I'm betting prayers made the difference, too.