Cousins is actually better under the bright lights

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cousins is actually better under the bright lights

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Not sure if anyone has posted this before on here or not. I’ve been saying this since week 8 last year when Kyle Brandt proved the whole “cousins sucks in prime time” thing to be false. This just further proves that.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-vikings-k ... -primetime
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Cousins is actually better under the bright lights

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:58 am Not sure if anyone has posted this before on here or not. I’ve been saying this since week 8 last year when Kyle Brandt proved the whole “cousins sucks in prime time” thing to be false. This just further proves that.

I stopped reading at “mostly mediocre quarterback on Sunday afternoons”
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:58 am Not sure if anyone has posted this before on here or not. I’ve been saying this since week 8 last year when Kyle Brandt proved the whole “cousins sucks in prime time” thing to be false. This just further proves that.

Stopped reading at 8-15-1. Excuses are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink.
Last edited by Tark on Tue May 26, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:13 am

Get over that and read it. It's a good article.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:05 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:13 am

I will pass since the article thinks Cousins is a mediocre quarterback which he is not
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:25 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:05 pm
I will pass since the article thinks Cousins is a mediocre quarterback which he is not
I don’t think that’s what they are implying. It’s just compared to his prime time numbers it might look that way but it shows that this whole “cousins sucks in prime time” narrative is a load of bull crap
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Tark wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Stopped reading at 8-15-1. Excuses are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink.
When he’s playing at a high level in prime time and his defense in his career is giving up over 34 points a game, how is that on cousins?
-Chazz Palminteri
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm

When he’s playing at a high level in prime time and his defense in his career is giving up over 34 points a game, how is that on cousins?
"Our analysis suggests that Kirk Cousins is a step above the average quarterback that teams tend to face on Sunday afternoon but a step below the average quarterback that teams tend to face in prime time." All I'm saying is that Cousins and the Vikings may consistently be able to beat poor and average teams but not consistently beat good and above average teams, especially in prime time. As you know the blame and credit most likely is directed at the QB. Stay safe brother.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Tark wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 pm

"Our analysis suggests that Kirk Cousins is a step above the average quarterback that teams tend to face on Sunday afternoon but a step below the average quarterback that teams tend to face in prime time." All I'm saying is that Cousins and the Vikings may consistently be able to beat poor and average teams but not consistently beat good and above average teams, especially in prime time. As you know the blame and credit most likely is directed at the QB. Stay safe brother.
Agree to disagree. The media, for the most part, directs the blame and credit to the QB. But anyone that knows football knows it's a team game. If Cousins' defenses are giving up 35 points in most prime time games, how can anyone realistically expect him to have a winning record in those games, or one even close to being .500?? I can 100% guarantee that if you looked up every QBs defense in primetime games throughout their careers, Cousins' has been BY FAR the worst of any QB. Literally guarantee it. It's exactly why I think that stat that the media wants to throw around about him in prime time games is a crock of crap. Especially given he's played well in prime time games for the most part
-Chazz Palminteri
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Because it is. It just is. :confused:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:48 am
Tark wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Agree to disagree. The media, for the most part, directs the blame and credit to the QB. But anyone that knows football knows it's a team game. If Cousins' defenses are giving up 35 points in most prime time games, how can anyone realistically expect him to have a winning record in those games, or one even close to being .500?? I can 100% guarantee that if you looked up every QBs defense in primetime games throughout their careers, Cousins' has been BY FAR the worst of any QB. Literally guarantee it. It's exactly why I think that stat that the media wants to throw around about him in prime time games is a crock of crap. Especially given he's played well in prime time games for the most part
Absolutely. Wins and losses being pinned on the QB is ridiculous. The QB can only do his part. The team has to play well to win.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:48 am

Absolutely. Wins and losses being pinned on the QB is ridiculous. The QB can only do his part. The team has to play well to win.
Do you think Cousins doesn't hold any responsibility for his record as a QB then?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:13 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm
Do you think Cousins doesn't hold any responsibility for his record as a QB then?
Cousins never had a good Redskins team so how is that Cousins’ fault?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:48 am Agree to disagree. The media, for the most part, directs the blame and credit to the QB. But anyone that knows football knows it's a team game. If Cousins' defenses are giving up 35 points in most prime time games, how can anyone realistically expect him to have a winning record in those games, or one even close to being .500?? I can 100% guarantee that if you looked up every QBs defense in primetime games throughout their careers, Cousins' has been BY FAR the worst of any QB. Literally guarantee it. It's exactly why I think that stat that the media wants to throw around about him in prime time games is a crock of crap. Especially given he's played well in prime time games for the most part
I don't think it is just the "media" that does that (maybe I'm the only person getting tired of the "media" being blamed for everything, but it is getting old for me). Lots of fans do it too.

You're right that assigning total responsibility to the outcome of those games to the QB is not fair. As you note, it is a team game first and foremost, and as you note, the outcome of any given game is a combination of how the overall offense, defense, special teams, coaching and key penalties called or not called come out at the end. An individual QB can have an outstanding game and still come up on the losing end if any or all of those other elements go against him.

I re-watched the last game between the Packers and Vikings again recently and watched Cousins in that game in particular. He didn't play great in that game, but he was under almost constant duress from 4 rushers and sometimes from 3. The offensive line offered little resistance. They also did little to make the run game effective as the Packer front 7 consistently shut down the run past the first quarter. It was really pretty pathetic in terms of blocking and scheme. The Packers looked amped up and looked like the team playing at home and playing for something meaningful rather than the Vikings.

Defensively, the Vikings looked outclassed as well. The Packers ran and passed with relative ease and Rodgers hit some big throws.

Yeah, it would have been great to see Cousins put on his Superman costume and make magic out of nothing, but that isn't his game. He's never been a Superman QB and that isn't going to change at this point in his career. Had the offensive line done a better job and kept the running game as a credible threat, Cousins would have done better throwing the ball. Had the defense done a better job, the game might have come out in the Vikings' favor.

The game that defines what Cousins is capable of doing if he's given time and credible play in front of him and the overall team does its job is the playoff win against the Saints. That OT drive was a thing of beauty and it happened because Cousins was put in a position to unleash that beauty to Thielen and then followed up with the rainbow arc to Rudolph to win the game. THAT is what Cousins can do if the rest of the offense is firing. And that is good enough to win big games.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:15 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Cousins never had a good Redskins team so how is that Cousins’ fault?
He had some great weapons and a great line for 2 of his 3 years there.

Defensively his teams averaged out to be 17th in scoring efficiency.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... tsdef/2017

Here he has had the 3rd best and 8th best scoring defenses, a great WR corp and a great run game in 2019. His Oline, which was the biggest weakness in 2019, still gave up the 7th fewest sacks and allowed him the most time to throw in the NFL last year.

That amounted to 10 wins and a divisional round loss. That isn't all on him, but still, last season was a pretty good year to be a Vikings QB. 2017 was better, but that was probably the 2nd best team, outside of QB, we have fielded in this decade. Maybe the 3rd best team of the 2000's.