Will the Vikings ever win a Super Bowl?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Will the Vikings ever win a Super Bowl?

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:21 am
S197 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:38 pm There are two things I really want to see in my lifetime, a man on Mars and the Vikings winning a Super Bowl. Both will happen eventually. Hopefully we don't have to wait for a Mars Super Bowl :shock:
Hmmmm. Why do you want to see someone on Mars? Fascinating.
I wasn't alive for the moon landing and I think this will be the next big great leap forward for us as a civilization. Would be nice to see history.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:27 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:21 pm
So firing your proven winning coach is the path to success. WOW! :whistle:
Well, I guess you are happy with Zimmer missing the playoffs every other year then :confused:
I'm happier with us making the playoffs and advancing every other year than I would be with us only making the playoffs every 4th year and not advancing at all. That is what I would expect out of a new coach if we fire Zimmer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:44 pm

I wasn't alive for the moon landing and I think this will be the next big great leap forward for us as a civilization. Would be nice to see history.
If you believe we actually did land on the moon :shock: I was alive to see the broadcast. It was so freaking amazing. Leaves sports in the dust.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:52 pm

Well, I guess you are happy with Zimmer missing the playoffs every other year then :confused:
I'm happier with us making the playoffs and advancing every other year than I would be with us only making the playoffs every 4th year and not advancing at all. That is what I would expect out of a new coach if we fire Zimmer.
How would you know that? You can not tell the future and neither do I
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

This is a very good point...truth be told the Vikings have been one of the more "successful" franchises in the NFL for what three decades? Since '87 18 play-off births, 13 10+ win seasons, 5 NFC title games.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:36 pm
How would you know that? You can not tell the future and neither do I
I don't know that and neither do you. It is what I would expect if we changed coaches. Also we could keep Zimmer and win the next 6 Super Bowls in a row. We don't know. I'm not expecting that either.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pep2Moss wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:05 pm
This is a very good point...truth be told the Vikings have been one of the more "successful" franchises in the NFL for what three decades? Since '87 18 play-off births, 13 10+ win seasons, 5 NFC title games.
Yep. :rock: :govikes:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Ugh.

Yet another Vikings fan leaves out the Bud Grant years, when we actually went to Super Bowls.

The most dominant era of Vikings history, hands down, was the 8 seasons from 1969 to 1976. It was one of the most dominant eras for ANY team in any period. Those teams were 87-24-1 for an average of 10.8 wins per year in a 14-game schedule.

And no, the 1998 team was not the best ever. That title belongs to the ‘69 team — still the only NFL champion in Vikings history. They out scored their opponents by 18 ppg — 2 ppg more than the ‘98 team — and with a defense that gave up 9.5 ppg.

Over the three years from 1969-1971, the Vikings gave up 9.9 ppg and a cumulative 40.5 passer rating.

Hear me well, young’uns. To talk about how proud our history is and leave out the 69-76 Vikings is to ignore the greatest teams this franchise has ever fielded.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:37 pm

Ugh.

Yet another Vikings fan leaves out the Bud Grant years, when we actually went to Super Bowls.

The most dominant era of Vikings history, hands down, was the 8 seasons from 1969 to 1976. It was one of the most dominant eras for ANY team in any period. Those teams were 87-24-1 for an average of 10.8 wins per year in a 14-game schedule.

And no, the 1998 team was not the best ever. That title belongs to the ‘69 team — still the only NFL champion in Vikings history. They out scored their opponents by 18 ppg — 2 ppg more than the ‘98 team — and with a defense that gave up 9.5 ppg.

Over the three years from 1969-1971, the Vikings gave up 9.9 ppg and a cumulative 40.5 passer rating.

Hear me well, young’uns. To talk about how proud our history is and leave out the 69-76 Vikings is to ignore the greatest teams this franchise has ever fielded.
1969 team and 1975 teams are the best teams ever in my book, if it was not for the Pearson pushoff, Vikings would have won a Superbowl in 1975 in my opinion
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Thanks for elaborating. Its one of those things I simply cannot relate to, so I'm always curious to learn what would make those kind of events fascinating or important to others.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:37 pm

Ugh.

That goes without saying.

Also didn't say the 98 team was the best ever, but the fact that a 15-1 team of ours didn't win the Super Bowl to me tells me it's never happening. I hope I'm wrong... I just want one. I saw my Mets in '86 and my Bruins in '11, so it's Minny's turn.
NorthernStar
Waterboy

Post by NorthernStar »

The Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Bucs and New Orleans Saints have so yes it will happen at some point.
Purple Power
Waterboy

Post by Purple Power »

As a long time Vikings fan, of course I want the team to return to a Super Bowl, and win it with out question. That's the ultimate goal every year. We have had some very close calls to making it but we all know what happened with that. So, I will remain a long time fan of the Vikings, wish for the best every year and enjoy the team that I cheer for and stay a fan, win or lose. SKOAL !, GO VIKINGS !!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

NorthernStar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:06 am The Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Bucs and New Orleans Saints have so yes it will happen at some point.
The Chiefs already won a Superbowl in 1970 defeating our Vikings
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:44 am I was not alive to watch the Vikings in any Super Bowls, so I can't speak to those teams.

I will say the 98 team was by far the best team in football that year, and the most dominate Vikings team I have ever seen. The fact that team couldn't win a Super Bowl, or even get to one, really makes me believe it is not ever meant to be for the Vikings.

That 09 team was close with how great Favre and AP worked off of each other and made that offense dominate, that was really just a great team with a QB playing at an elite level, we have seen that story before (every year NE wins a SB, KC this year, etc).

98 was a once in a lifetime team that just was so fricken good at everything and was just so much better than every team they faced. You typically don't see that kind of dominance in the NFL, and it reminded me a bit of college football, with a team like Ohio State or Alabama being just that much better than everyone else.

This current Vikings team would have lost 38-3 to that one. Super Bowl Champs KC would have lost 40-24. Yet somehow an overachieving Atlanta team beats us because of two missed FGs from a kicker who had been perfect on the year. It still kicks me in the nuts to think of it to this day.
Yeah the sad thing is, not only was the 98 team the best team in football that year but I think the 09 team was as well. There is no doubt in my mind we beat Indy that year in the SB.

As crazy as this might sound I don’t think we could possibly witness bigger heartbreak than in 98 and 09.

I was born in 89 so I also never witnessed the early SBs. But in my lifetime of being a diehard Vikings fan I’ve witnessed 4 NFC championship games. The 2000 team were clearly weren’t the best team in football. The giants smoked us and the ravens were unreal that year. In 2017, the team was good but we were also riding on luck from our QB that was bound to stop at some point prior to the SB.

But in 98 there is no doubt in my mind we beat Denver and in 09 there is no doubt in my mind we beat the Colts. I just don’t think the heartbreak could possibly get any worse than those two years.

Honestly at this point, I would just love to see them IN a super bowl. Sure I’d be furious if they lost but I’m so sick of seeing the NFC championship debacle. If we could even get over that hump I would be thrilled.

It’s just so tough right now because the NFC is just loaded compared to the AFC. You have teams in the NFC missing the playoffs that could beat some of the teams that made it in. For example the rams last year. Granted they had a super bowl slump type year but I also have no doubt in my mind that they could’ve beat any team in the NFC. It will get interesting now with a 7 team playoff. But you really gotta get home field. To travel on the road like we did last year and make it to the big dance is near impossible although it has been done a couple times.

With our current team, I think we are very much still in a SB window. With 15 draft picks this year and another 12-13 already lined up for next year, this team shouldn’t skip a beat with the talent they already have and what they will be bringing in/brought in. It might not be this year but I see us being very good in 2021 and even better in 2022. With the turnover on defense this year I think we might see some bumps in the road but as long as we continue to reload like we have via the draft, the future looks very promising
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri