Will the Vikings ever win a Super Bowl?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Will the Vikings ever win a Super Bowl?

Post by Purplepain2018 »

This has been one of my quests for over 40 years. I was 10 or 11 years old and I got to watch the Vikings play the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XI. The Vikings have come close in recent years. They have been in at least three NFC championship games and got beat in all three against the Falcons in 1998, Giants 2001 and the Saints in 2009.

The one things that is apparent in the NFL era of today is you HAVE to HAVE a quarterback. Kirk Cousins is a good quarterback who got us to the playoffs last year, but is this is far as he can take the Vikings? There are so many questions with this team even after the draft which I really, really liked. The Vikings still have questions on the Offensive line and at wide receiver. The defense will be
very young heading into next season. Barring any trades between now and the start of the season, Green Bay will still be favored to win the division because of one man, Aaron Rodgers.

How much of the Vikings success hinges on Head Coach Mike Zimmer? A defensive savant, some would say, has had troubles in recent years with clock management and being too loyal to certain players such as Pat Elflein, Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph who all should have been benched last year with sub par play. In my opinion, Zimmer has never totally used Anthony Barr the right way and hopefully this year that will change as far as bringing him on more blitzes or maybe even off the edge.

So where does this current team stand in regards to a Super Bowl? The 49ers just got better and they were in the Super Bowl last year. The Saints are as good. As I said earlier, I really liked the Vikings draft when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. The Viking will be young, but very talented. I also like the hire of Dom Capers. Unfortunately, if Kirk Cousins gets injured the Vikings will be toast because of the lack of talent in the backup QB spot.

Super Bowl....who knows, but every year I predict that is where they will end up in February.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Will the Vikings ever win a Super Bowl?

Post by YikesVikes »

It any time soon I fear. I'm going in on 30 years of random.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

If Zimmer gets fired, Vikings will make it
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: As long as the NFL exists, the Vikings will always have a chance at winning the Super Bowl and 100 years into the future, the Vikings will win at least 1, same with the Browns, Lions, Jaguars, Texans, Bills, and Bengals. Unless the world is destroyed or somehow the NFL goes bankrupt, the answer will always be yes.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I became a fan in 1977, because I loved Fran Tarkenton. I thought I would have won one by now but if any of you lived through the NFC title game vs Atlanta you know it will never happen. That was the moment I knew I would never see them win, and honestly, the only time I thought we may actually win one was after the Minneapolis Miracle and first drive of the Eagles NFC title game. We should have won with Favre when we lost to the Saints, but all of us knew we would be trolled at some point during his tenure and that was it, even though I'm convinced the NFL made sure the Saints won during that OT with those horrible calls
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:24 am This has been one of my quests for over 40 years. I was 10 or 11 years old and I got to watch the Vikings play the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XI. The Vikings have come close in recent years. They have been in at least three NFC championship games and got beat in all three against the Falcons in 1998, Giants 2001 and the Saints in 2009.

The one things that is apparent in the NFL era of today is you HAVE to HAVE a quarterback. Kirk Cousins is a good quarterback who got us to the playoffs last year, but is this is far as he can take the Vikings? There are so many questions with this team even after the draft which I really, really liked. The Vikings still have questions on the Offensive line and at wide receiver. The defense will be
very young heading into next season. Barring any trades between now and the start of the season, Green Bay will still be favored to win the division because of one man, Aaron Rodgers.

How much of the Vikings success hinges on Head Coach Mike Zimmer? A defensive savant, some would say, has had troubles in recent years with clock management and being too loyal to certain players such as Pat Elflein, Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph who all should have been benched last year with sub par play. In my opinion, Zimmer has never totally used Anthony Barr the right way and hopefully this year that will change as far as bringing him on more blitzes or maybe even off the edge.

So where does this current team stand in regards to a Super Bowl? The 49ers just got better and they were in the Super Bowl last year. The Saints are as good. As I said earlier, I really liked the Vikings draft when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. The Viking will be young, but very talented. I also like the hire of Dom Capers. Unfortunately, if Kirk Cousins gets injured the Vikings will be toast because of the lack of talent in the backup QB spot.

Super Bowl....who knows, but every year I predict that is where they will end up in February.
I'd say not close yet. I have hope that a shift in defensive scheme will allow the Vikings to play a bit more 'downhill' and a bit less reactively, but at this point, that's nothing but speculation.

Offensively, its nice to finally be bringing back the same offensive system for a 2nd straight year. It will make a difference that the offense has this continuity, but I see them as physically under powered, and mentally weak. Physical teams just wreck them, and the Vikings offense doesn't seem to be able to even show enough spunk to fight back, with the exception of a couple plays by Udoh and Samia in week 17 against Chicago. They really need some stout play from the G positions, because their longterm tackle prospects and their starting Center all tend toward being athletic movers, not guys who can anchor. Perhaps moving Reiff to G would help, Perhaps Samia at RG will help...at this point its just more speculation.

Until they get off their heels defensively and find some more tough minded leadership offensively, I don't think this team is going anywhere much past a first round exit in the best case
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:21 pm Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: As long as the NFL exists, the Vikings will always have a chance at winning the Super Bowl and 100 years into the future, the Vikings will win at least 1, same with the Browns, Lions, Jaguars, Texans, Bills, and Bengals. Unless the world is destroyed or somehow the NFL goes bankrupt, the answer will always be yes.
Imagine all the teams that never won a Superbowl finally won the Superbowl, that would mean other fans will stop making fun of teams that have no championships
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The current team has a lot of talent and a definite shot at one over the next 3 or 4 years imo. I like our coaching staff and have no doubt Zimmer is doing everything he can to finish what he set out to do. He reportedly talked with Bill Parcells after the season about how to get over the hump. Bringing Capers in is probably part of that.

The biggest hurdles at this point in time will be the offensive line and getting the rookies to live up to potential and learn quickly. They are as talented as anyone imo and Rick continues to have above average drafts at least on paper. Home field would obviously be huge. Kirk isnt ever going to outgun Mahomes so they would have to be able to protect him and run the ball better than an opponent with that caliber of QB would be able to do against them. Pass rush is key. That is often the equalizer in playoff games where one team's QB is better than another's. The Vikings model for a championship with Cousins at the helm would be the 08 Giants and the 02 Bucs imo. Bringing Griffen back would help but I also don't want to cut a young promising talent on the Dline at his expense. Zimmer's D needs to get back to stuffing the run, terrorizing QBs, and leading the league in turnovers forced.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:18 pm The current team has a lot of talent and a definite shot at one over the next 3 or 4 years imo. I like our coaching staff and have no doubt Zimmer is doing everything he can to finish what he set out to do. He reportedly talked with Bill Parcells after the season about how to get over the hump. Bringing Capers in is probably part of that.

The biggest hurdles at this point in time will be the offensive line and getting the rookies to live up to potential and learn quickly. They are as talented as anyone imo and Rick continues to have above average drafts at least on paper. Home field would obviously be huge. Kirk isnt ever going to outgun Mahomes so they would have to be able to protect him and run the ball better than an opponent with that caliber of QB would be able to do against them. Pass rush is key. That is often the equalizer in playoff games where one team's QB is better than another's. The Vikings model for a championship with Cousins at the helm would be the 08 Giants and the 02 Bucs imo. Bringing Griffen back would help but I also don't want to cut a young promising talent on the Dline at his expense. Zimmer's D needs to get back to stuffing the run, terrorizing QBs, and leading the league in turnovers forced.
I am not convinced that Zimmer can do it, he has been here for 6 years and he keeps falling short
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:12 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:18 pm The current team has a lot of talent and a definite shot at one over the next 3 or 4 years imo. I like our coaching staff and have no doubt Zimmer is doing everything he can to finish what he set out to do. He reportedly talked with Bill Parcells after the season about how to get over the hump. Bringing Capers in is probably part of that.

I am not convinced that Zimmer can do it, he has been here for 6 years and he keeps falling short
Yeah I agree but I think he would be difficult to replace with a better coach. I'd rather have Zimmer than a young coordinator personally. For example, I don't know if Dennis Green ever could have won us a Super Bowl but I'd rather have him than Leslie Frazier.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Yeah I agree but I think he would be difficult to replace with a better coach. I'd rather have Zimmer than a young coordinator personally. For example, I don't know if Dennis Green ever could have won us a Super Bowl but I'd rather have him than Leslie Frazier.
Dennis Green is a way better coach than Leslie Frazier and I know everyone hated Brad Childress but I liked him and he is way better than Leslie Frazier too, I rather have a unproven coach over Zimmer, look at the unproven coaches that won or went to the Superbowl like Doug Pederson and Kyle Shanahan which took them only 3 years or less while we are still waiting on Zimmer for 6 years and counting
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:59 pm If Zimmer gets fired, Vikings will make it
So firing your proven winning coach is the path to success. WOW! :whistle:
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:36 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm

Dennis Green is a way better coach than Leslie Frazier and I know everyone hated Brad Childress but I liked him and he is way better than Leslie Frazier too, I rather have a unproven coach over Zimmer, look at the unproven coaches that won or went to the Superbowl like Doug Pederson and Kyle Shanahan which took them only 3 years or less while we are still waiting on Zimmer for 6 years and counting
It took Andy Reid over a decade. Your point?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:21 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:59 pm If Zimmer gets fired, Vikings will make it
So firing your proven winning coach is the path to success. WOW! :whistle:
Excuse me, I was not talking to you
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:41 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:36 pm

It took Andy Reid over a decade. Your point?
Excuse me, I was not talking to you