Vikings offensive line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pep2Moss
Starter

Re: Vikings offensive line

Post by Pep2Moss »

This is what I have been missing thank you all.

Prob not the thread for it, but any chance Barr might see some true DE and let Dye run wild in WILL? Maybe we should post a Vikings defensive line thread?

As for the OL...Looks like Samia might be firmly entrenched as the RG...Played their his whole college career and they must like what they see to cut Kline.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pep2Moss wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 am This is what I have been missing thank you all.

Prob not the thread for it, but any chance Barr might see some true DE and let Dye run wild in WILL? Maybe we should post a Vikings defensive line thread?

As for the OL...Looks like Samia might be firmly entrenched as the RG...Played their his whole college career and they must like what they see to cut Kline.
I like the thought on Barr. I am banging this drum on the shift in primary defensive alignment (sorry ya'll, I know its just speculation), but I like Barr as a SLB in a 4-3 under. I like him playing on the line without being asked to shoulder as big a load in run defense as he'd be asked to do as a DE. And I like him being able to use more of his versatility, being a threat both to rush or drop into coverage. I hope he'd be able to seal the edge well enough to hold up in that spot.

I like idea of Dye in a Jayron Kearse kind of role right out of the gate, being a 3rd S/3rd LB hybrid, perhaps matching up with TEs. He's a bit slight to play Gedeon's role on early downs, I fear. I'm really intrigued to see what they might do with him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pep2Moss wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:22 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:42 pm From Twitter:

Ok here are the complete stats on last years O-line: Pat Elflein-6 sacks, 38 pressures Riley Reiff -5 sacks, 32 pressures Garrett Bradbury-4 sacks, 29 pressures Josh Kline-2 sacks, 22 pressures Brian O'Neill-1 sack, 22 pressures Reiff & Elfein were horrible in pass protection

I don't understand why Kline was cut.
Especially since it cost them 2.67 mil in dead cap as well. Makes zero sense. Has any reporter ever asked them that? I haven't seen it anywhere. All I could find is they wanted him to restructure and he said nope, not interested
It made no sense. Probably banged one of the coaches wives.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:34 am And if Kline comes back how much savings will there be? Cutting Kline seems like another stupid move on the Vikings.

Another problem with Elf was his holding calls.
I'm 90% confident that once you cut a guy you take the cap hit and not one penny can be recovered by bringing him back.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:48 am

Especially since it cost them 2.67 mil in dead cap as well. Makes zero sense. Has any reporter ever asked them that? I haven't seen it anywhere. All I could find is they wanted him to restructure and he said nope, not interested
There was dead cap, but there were also cap savings.
Savings were quite small. He either rubbed Vikings brass wrong or they are super confident in Samia or Udoh replacing him.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:07 am

Savings were quite small. He either rubbed Vikings brass wrong or they are super confident in Samia or Udoh replacing him.
Good point, but I would argue that they need to be super confident in both Samia AND Udoh.....because Elf needs to be replaced too.

Reiff, Udoh, Bradbury, Samia, O'Neil

Cleveland, Udoh, Bradbury, Samia, O'Neil

????
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:07 am

You have to look at more than just this one year. Yes, savings were not huge this year, but there are also savings next. And the cap will also be tight next year. Why wait to make the move? That's what I'm suggesting might happen with a number of players if the Vikings can find a semi-competent replacement, including Harris, Wilson, Stephen and Elflein. Sink some of those costs into re-signing player(s) now, and front load to the maximum degree possible.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Sean Borman

@SeanBormanNFL

·

3h

Kubiak said 7th-round pick Kyle Hinton (OT, Washburn) will play Center for the #Vikings. “We believe a lot in moving players from outside in when we think they have the athletic ability to do that... He’ll get behind Garrett and Jones-y and learn some good football from them.”

Kubiak said the #Vikings will work Ezra Cleveland at tackle AND guard. "We're going to play our best 5 guys. He makes us very competitive the minute he walks in the building. His football brain gives us the ability to do a lot of things & settle him down where we feel best."
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:27 pm Sean Borman

@SeanBormanNFL

·

3h

Kubiak said 7th-round pick Kyle Hinton (OT, Washburn) will play Center for the #Vikings. “We believe a lot in moving players from outside in when we think they have the athletic ability to do that... He’ll get behind Garrett and Jones-y and learn some good football from them.”

Kubiak said the #Vikings will work Ezra Cleveland at tackle AND guard. "We're going to play our best 5 guys. He makes us very competitive the minute he walks in the building. His football brain gives us the ability to do a lot of things & settle him down where we feel best."
Very interesting on Hinton. I know the Giants are doing the same with Shane Lemieux... I wonder if they keep him on the active roster or try to stash him on the PS...He has pretty sick measurables as someone pointed out before, I could see a team claiming him.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Also that takes Hinton out of the guard mix but adds Cleveland.

Elflein, Collins, Brandel
and
Samia, Dozier, Higby and Aiello

Cleveland?

Wouldn't figure Brandel, Higby and Aiello make any type impact this season. I have a feeling they are going to try everything.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

@SeanBormanNFL

·

3h

Uhh what about Bradbury or is Kubiak just talking about preseason? I do like Cleveland playing as tackle and guard and see which will fit best for him
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:47 am It seems pretty bad to have 12 of your sacks come up the middle. The Vikings need to shore that up and quickly. Step one seems to be to get rid of Elflein unless he has added some serious strength. Both he and Bradburry might have some legit upside just through adding strength and progressing one year toward 'old man strength' which is important for OL. Having said that, Cleveland and Brandel aren't likely to see the field. It generally takes time to add the kind of strength needed to control your opponent in the NFL.
There was some nice value at Guard at the end of the 3rd with guys like Simpson from Clemson available. This is partially why I didn't like the trade down. That and they didn't end up drafting a guard until the 7th despite all the extra collected picks.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:03 am

It made no sense. Probably banged one of the coaches wives.
I'm wondering if it's health related. I know he missed time last year with a concussion but don't know his history with them. Especially since he's still a free agent, leads me to believe it could be medical.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 pm

@SeanBormanNFL

·

3h

Uhh what about Bradbury or is Kubiak just talking about preseason? I do like Cleveland playing as tackle and guard and see which will fit best for him
Yeah that's what I thought. Surely Bradbury is the plan at Center for the long haul. I would think if Hinton has a future starting it would be at guard.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:06 pm
fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:47 am It seems pretty bad to have 12 of your sacks come up the middle. The Vikings need to shore that up and quickly. Step one seems to be to get rid of Elflein unless he has added some serious strength. Both he and Bradburry might have some legit upside just through adding strength and progressing one year toward 'old man strength' which is important for OL. Having said that, Cleveland and Brandel aren't likely to see the field. It generally takes time to add the kind of strength needed to control your opponent in the NFL.
There was some nice value at Guard at the end of the 3rd with guys like Simpson from Clemson available. This is partially why I didn't like the trade down. That and they didn't end up drafting a guard until the 7th despite all the extra collected picks.
What basis do you have to think they would have selected Simpson, or had him highly regarded as a prospect in their system at all? I get your point, but aren't you essentially just saying that you rated Simpson higher than the Vikings, not that you actually object to the trade back?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins