Vikings offensive line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings offensive line

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Those who are feeling doom and gloom about the Vikings OL I think are going to get a huge surprise. IMO we are soon going to have one of the best OLs in all of the NFL. We have young players in O'Neill, Samia, Cleveland, Udoh, ready to emerge and late rounders that I believe are diamonds in the rough in Brandel and Hinton. Call me a homer if you want, but I truly believe this.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings offensive line

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think it's certainly possible. Those late rounders have potential no doubt they just have to be developed.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I agree with the optimism. O'Neill was a project but starting pretty quickly...Samia had a full year to learn....Cleveland will need reps...Udoh could probably play guard right now...

Week 1

Reiff-Elflein-Bradbury-Samia-O'Neill

Week 8

Cleveland-Reiff-Bradbury-Samia-O'Neill
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pep2Moss wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm I agree with the optimism. O'Neill was a project but starting pretty quickly...Samia had a full year to learn....Cleveland will need reps...Udoh could probably play guard right now...

Week 1

Week 8

I don't think Cleveland plays this year barring injuries.

Teams typically don't revamp their offensive lines midseason unless they have to and prefer continuity.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:02 pm
Pep2Moss wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm I agree with the optimism. O'Neill was a project but starting pretty quickly...Samia had a full year to learn....Cleveland will need reps...Udoh could probably play guard right now...

Week 1

Week 8

Teams typically don't revamp their offensive lines midseason unless they have to and prefer continuity.
Cleveland will play without any question whatsoever. Starting will probably happen eventually due to skill or injury. Good chance he starts at guard.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

barring an offseason, I think we'll see nearly the same group as last year, barring Kline.

If we do get an offseason, I could see surprise configurations or even surprise cuts as a possibility.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

If there is a limited offseason, I really think the league should find a way to effectively expand teams rosters, even if that only means allowing a time period during which Practice Squad players cannot be poached while teams get rookies acclimated to to their systems and surroundings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

A lot of people have Elf wrote off....Not even sure you can write him off yet.
A lot of uncertainty with OL.
No I'm not wanting Elf to start.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:20 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Cleveland will play without any question whatsoever. Starting will probably happen eventually due to skill or injury. Good chance he starts at guard.
Oh oh... Looks like another bet could be on... :lol:

I think Stump is right. Not only do I think he's right, I think if Cleveland sees the field in any situation other than late in a blowout, that means Reiff got hurt and the Vikings had no other choice. While I like the Cleveland pick, teams that end up putting rookies out at left tackle generally have fallen on hard times or don't have a choice. Reiff might not be a franchise left tackle, but unless Cleveland develops faster than almost any rookie LT in NFL history, there is no way he is a better option at that position than Reiff before year end.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Maybe Cleveland won't be the LT though. O'Neill could and Cleveland to RT. If he's an O'Neill clone...makes sense to me.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:09 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:20 pm

I think Stump is right. Not only do I think he's right, I think if Cleveland sees the field in any situation other than late in a blowout, that means Reiff got hurt and the Vikings had no other choice. While I like the Cleveland pick, teams that end up putting rookies out at left tackle generally have fallen on hard times or don't have a choice. Reiff might not be a franchise left tackle, but unless Cleveland develops faster than almost any rookie LT in NFL history, there is no way he is a better option at that position than Reiff before year end.
I stand behind my statement. Cleveland barring getting injured or season getting cancelled will play for the Minnesota Vikings during the 2020-21 season assuming it continues into 2021. If you want to bet he doesn't be my guest.
Didn't O'Neill play most of the season his Rookie year? Yeah I know Cleveland has to overtake one of Elf, Reiff, Udoh, Samia to play. Remember most players don't play 100% of the snaps also. So I would be shocked as hell if Cleveland doesn't play for the Vikings this year. I doubt if the Vikings have ever had a 2nd round pick not play for them barring injury in the history of the franchise.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:23 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:09 pm

I stand behind my statement. Cleveland barring getting injured or season getting cancelled will play for the Minnesota Vikings during the 2020-21 season assuming it continues into 2021. If you want to bet he doesn't be my guest.
Didn't O'Neill play most of the season his Rookie year? Yeah I know Cleveland has to overtake one of Elf, Reiff, Udoh, Samia to play. Remember most players don't play 100% of the snaps also. So I would be shocked as hell if Cleveland doesn't play for the Vikings this year. I doubt if the Vikings have ever had a 2nd round pick not play for them barring injury in the history of the franchise.
I bet he will get a handful of snaps in jumbo, 3TE packages as an extra TE at least. It'll take an impressive preseason or an injury to get him into the lineup anywhere else, I think.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:23 pm
I bet he will get a handful of snaps in jumbo, 3TE packages as an extra TE at least. It'll take an impressive preseason or an injury to get him into the lineup anywhere else, I think.
So you agree with me that he will play this year. I think other than injury or the season being cancelled that is the only sensible conclusion.

That settled I don't agree with you that he will only get a handful of snaps all year. Teams don't draft players in the second round to only play a handful of snaps all season long.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

It's not just that they took him in the 2nd round, but that it's a win-now team needing to shore up their Oline asap....he's playing and getting starter reps at some point, most likely.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:26 pm barring an offseason, I think we'll see nearly the same group as last year, barring Kline.

If we do get an offseason, I could see surprise configurations or even surprise cuts as a possibility.
This is my thought as well. It's incredibly difficult to evaluate guys in shorts and shells and right now we may not even get that.

Also, I don't think Brandel makes the roster.