Two moves that might get Vikings to Super Bowl!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Two moves that might get Vikings to Super Bowl!!!

Post by Purplepain2018 »

It has been a couple of days since the Vikings draft and I must say I am pretty impressed for sure with the players drafted. It appears the way the draft went that the defense was the focus as they got some really good players in Gladney, Wonnum, Dantzler, Lynch, Dye, Willegus, Hand, Cole and Metullus. The Vikings will be a very young team and should have a really good defensive line rotation. The way the Vikings got man handled by the 49ers probably was one reason they went defense heavy.

On the offensive side, I loved the Jefferson, Cleveland picks, I would have liked to have seen so more offensive line players selected, but this is where my theory comes into play. In order to solidify the offensive line, the Vikings should make a trade for New England Patriot All pro guard Joe Thuney. This would get Pat Elflein off the field and used only as a backup, It would give much needed experience and leadership to a young offensive line. The starting five, hopefully, would be Cleveland, Thuney, Bradbury, Samia, and O'Neil.

My second move, controversial, would to be bring in QB Cam Newton as Kirk Cousin's back up. I know I am not the biggest Newton fan either, but he has experience, Super Bowl starting QB, won a national championship at Auburn and has a ton of experience. I know he is a bit of a head case, but for a one year deal he might be just what the Vikings could use to finally get us to another Super Bowl and win it. It also would be tough to get him under the salary cap as well, but is he worth the shot? Plus, our current back up Sean Mannion scares nobody.

Who is in?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Two moves that might get Vikings to Super Bowl!!!

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Vikings are not going to bring Cameron in because Vikings loves Mannion and signed Mannion to a 3 year contract and Vikings drafted a quarterback
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'd take Jameis before Newton. The Thuney idea is interesting.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I don't think anyone would object to Thuney unless it took 2 first round picks.

As for Cam, yes he's better than Manniom but that's not saying much. I never thought he was particularly accurate or had great mechanics but now I think injuries have also taken their toll. Plus he probably is holding out for a shot at a starting gig.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:11 pm I don't think anyone would object to Thuney unless it took 2 first round picks.

As for Cam, yes he's better than Manniom but that's not saying much. I never thought he was particularly accurate or had great mechanics but now I think injuries have also taken their toll. Plus he probably is holding out for a shot at a starting gig.
Seems toxic to me.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:08 pm I'd take Jameis before Newton. The Thuney idea is interesting.
Jameis is awful, I am glad he is a Saint so I do not have to worry about Vikings signing him
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:11 pm I don't think anyone would object to Thuney unless it took 2 first round picks.

Seems toxic to me.
He definitely loves the spotlight and is flamboyant.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I would give up next year's second rounder for Thuney if they could extend him. I think he would have as big of an impact on this offense as Hutchinson had back in the day. If they could work it out cap wise it would turn this offensive line from a liability into a strength. He would also have a huge positive impact on Bradbury's development imo. Just make sure the contract doesn't prohibit extending O'Neil in 2022. Here's a question: Would you rather extend Dalvin or trade for Thuney and give him the money instead?
mael·strom

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:16 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:08 pm I'd take Jameis before Newton. The Thuney idea is interesting.
Jameis is awful, I am glad he is a Saint so I do not have to worry about Vikings signing him
Just to clarify, I only said I'd rather have him than Cam, especially in a backup role, where I think it would be impossible for Newton not to make waves, and cause problems. I'm not advocating acquiring Winston.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Interesting proposal for sure.

I'm 100% pro Thuney at a reasonable price.

But I'm gonna go "oh hell no !" on Newton. He was a great dual threat when healthy, but I have my doubts in regards to his health, both physical and mental.
Tene Quod Bene
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Just to clarify, I only said I'd rather have him than Cam, especially in a backup role, where I think it would be impossible for Newton not to make waves, and cause problems. I'm not advocating acquiring Winston.
Do you really want to see Winston throw 30 interceptions if Cousins get hurt? I rather have awful Mannion over Winston
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 am

Do you really want to see Winston throw 30 interceptions if Cousins get hurt? I rather have awful Mannion over Winston
Winston can lose a game for you, but he can also win a game for you. Mannion can only lose a game for you. Regardless Winston is a member of the Saints now and not available for us.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 am

Wait...did you read what i wrote?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:01 pm In order to solidify the offensive line, the Vikings should make a trade for New England Patriot All pro guard Joe Thuney.
What would you be willing to give up to get Thuney? What do you think New England would want for him?
Purplepain2018 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:01 pm The starting five, hopefully, would be Cleveland, Thuney, Bradbury, Samia, and O'Neil.
I'm not sold on Cleveland being a better starting option than Reiff heading into this season. More than likely he wouldn't be, and the only way he sees the field during the season will be due to injury ala how O'Neill saw it in his first season.

As for Samia, the jury on him is way out yet. While I hope he will be ready, we have no idea if he can improve the overall play at the guard position compared to what we saw last year. For me it matters less who plays guard and more that the play at guard is better and more consistent.
Purplepain2018 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:01 pm ...our current back up Sean Mannion scares nobody.
Maybe that is true but maybe it is also true that Mannion is developing and might surprise to the upside. I mean, the Vikings did extend him and keep him as Cousins backup. If they saw nothing positive in him they could have let him go and found a more promising backup.

I'm not saying Mannion is the best option as the backup QB or has a promising future per se, just that the moves the Vikings have made involving him suggest they are more positive about his chances to contribute than seemingly a lot of folks on this board are about him.

As for Newton or any other former starting QB, bringing in a player like that to be a backup is both unlikely to happen (few starters, especially younger players, will accept a backup role), and unlikely to be a positive experience for the Vikings. The two players mentioned (Newton and Winston) would be available for very good reason. Not only would they be unhappy as backups, but they are general malcontents to begin with even when they were starters. Not exactly the kind of guys who are likely to rally the team unless they are OK sitting and collecting a paycheck.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mannion has 74 total pass attempts in the NFL.

His only start for us was with with backups against the Bears starters. Cousins would have looked just as bad in that spot. Any QB would have.

That doesn't make him a good QB, far from it, but us fans have not seen enough of him to know he is complete garbage. Not even close.