Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Draft thread

Post by Maelstrom88 »

This is going to be a very difficult roster to trim down to 53. There are so many guys with potential that with the proper coaching could be great. It's making me wonder if it would be the better move to keep all the young guys we can or sacrifice a spot to bring back Griffen assuming he is willing to come back at a reasonable price.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:39 am This is going to be a very difficult roster to trim down to 53. There are so many guys with potential that with the proper coaching could be great. It's making me wonder if it would be the better move to keep all the young guys we can or sacrifice a spot to bring back Griffen assuming he is willing to come back at a reasonable price.
I agree, they are going to have very difficult decisions who to cut and keep
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/27 ... -nfl-draft
So, it sounds like the Vikings did have a player in mind that they wanted to jump up and grab at #14, which is where Tampa was sitting in the first round.
Wirfs or Lamb?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:39 am This is going to be a very difficult roster to trim down to 53. There are so many guys with potential that with the proper coaching could be great. It's making me wonder if it would be the better move to keep all the young guys we can or sacrifice a spot to bring back Griffen assuming he is willing to come back at a reasonable price.
At DT, I think either Holmes or Johnson will be cut this year. We will see.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:45 pm https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/27 ... -nfl-draft
So, it sounds like the Vikings did have a player in mind that they wanted to jump up and grab at #14, which is where Tampa was sitting in the first round.
Wirfs or Lamb?
They could be lying, but they said they were trying to trade up for Jefferson. They wanted him more than Lamb.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingPaul73 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am

At DT, I think either Holmes or Johnson will be cut this year. We will see.
How about BOTH.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I just saw it is 55 now with the new CBA
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I liked the draft for the most part, but I see teams now that tend to go with traits over how the player has actually performed..I think there should be some sort of balance, but I fear we are slipping the other way. There were some WR that went late you need to take a chance on, Tyler Johnson rd 5 and James Piroche round 6. There is zero reason we had to trade our first pick from both rounds to get a pick next year, that was kind of frustrating. I didn't love Rick's "we had a lot of receivers on the board" or whatever he said but passed them because it was going to be many of them available as FA after.....Both the guys they passed so they could sign a Quartney Davis didn't make much sense to me.

I like Rick, but he doesn't seem to value certain positions, like say guard...I realize they all fluctuate due to systems, but they really passes on a few repeatedly when they are woefully ill equipped to take the next step with what they have. Bradbury was learning in the middle, but got pushed around and Pat was terrible. Kline was decent, but gone. Hoping Samia is ready to start and they get a vet for the other side.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:36 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:45 pm https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/27 ... -nfl-draft

Wirfs or Lamb?
They could be lying, but they said they were trying to trade up for Jefferson. They wanted him more than Lamb.
They also tried to trade up to #20. Supposedly that was for Jefferson, whom they thought the Eagles would take.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:41 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:36 pm
They also tried to trade up to #20. Supposedly that was for Jefferson, whom they thought the Eagles would take.
It's possible we liked Lamb more than Jefferson, but if we did it should have been easy to trade to 16 and we didn't do it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:59 pm

It's possible we liked Lamb more than Jefferson, but if we did it should have been easy to trade to 16 and we didn't do it.
If you read the story I've linked, and other reports, you will discover that there was nothing easy about trading up in the first round above our pick.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am
Very productive even sells him short. he was the most productive pressuring the QB of every DL in the nation.
Yeah I mean no matter what position you're playing, if you're racking up 13.5 sacks in a college season and racking up the most pressures in the nation, you know how to rush the passer. Lynch was among the elite doing this in college.

And S197, you said he was too small to be a 3 tech DT, he is 6'4, 289 lbs.

John Randle was 6'1, 287 lbs.
Aaron Donald is 6'1, 284 lbs.
Gerald McCoy is 6'4, 295 lbs
Geno Atkins is 6'1, 302 lbs.
Jurell Casey is 6'1, 300 lbs

James Lynch is not too small. He has great size to be a DT. I can bet money he will be starting sooner than later and be very productive on top of it.
I said small for a prototypical DT, which I still feel is correct. There's also a difference between 6'1 300lbs and 6'4 289 lbs.

Every single scouting report I've read doesn't seem to disagree. He has the production but the question is whether it translates in the NFL due to strength and limited pass rush moves. I actually like the pick, I just think he's going to be situational rather than an every down DT to start.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:51 pm
I just saw it is 55 now with the new CBA
It's a bit unusual because they added 2 extra spots on the practice squad. The roster is still 53 but you can promote 2 guys on game day, but they immediately revert back to PS after. It will be curious if this leads to more PS poaching by teams.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I think its VERY unlikely that the Vikings trade up for player A over player B. Rather, they trade up to get into tier 1, or trade back because tier 1 has enough depth to allow them to and still get a similarly rated player. If they are falling in love with a particular player instead of grouping players in tiers, they are apt to make a lot of mistakes in drafting. I suspect the biggest critics of trading back imagine that the vikings have a big board with players listed in order of how highly rated they, and that's just not the case. Media draft guys are forced to create these kind of 'big boards', but its very clear that the Vikings do not rely on such a silly approach.

If your board has 15 guys ranked in the same tier, and you can move back 10 spots and get more picks, you stay true to your board and trade back, knowing you are guaranteed to get one of your guys.

Sorry, I'm not ranting at you, just ranting. I feel like fans imagine there is such a thing as a Big Board as its presented on NFLN or ESPN, and there simply isn't.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:29 pm
If you read the story I've linked, and other reports, you will discover that there was nothing easy about trading up in the first round above our pick.
58 would have done it for sure. 89 maybe. Vikings moved back 6 spots in the 1st for 117 and 176. Not saying it would have been worth giving up 58, but I can't imagine we couldn't have done it.