Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Draft thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Love this tweet from Courtney Cronin.

The way the board has fallen has been nothing shy of a miracle for Minnesota. They've gotten all the guys they've wanted without having to trade up. Lot of the draft is luck, and the Vikings are beneficiaries of how players have come off the board before them.

— Courtney Cronin (@CourtneyRCronin) April 25, 2020
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:34 pm Love this tweet from Courtney Cronin.

The way the board has fallen has been nothing shy of a miracle for Minnesota. They've gotten all the guys they've wanted without having to trade up. Lot of the draft is luck, and the Vikings are beneficiaries of how players have come off the board before them.

— Courtney Cronin (@CourtneyRCronin) April 25, 2020
It is truly a miracle! :bowdown:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Lynch is interesting in that he’s a tweener and doesn’t really fit in one particular spot very well. I’m thinking situational DT pass rusher ala Hercules and Weatherly last year on 3rd down. Speaking of Hercules, I heard he packed on a lot of weight this offseason, it will be interesting to see how he improves this year.
Say whatever you want about tweener or whatever. Have you watched him on video. He beats the defender on virtually every single play. He just leans into them, gets them going backward and then he's by them.
That’s not necessarily a knock, it’s what he is. He’s not big enough to be a prototypical DT nor does he have the burst to be an edge rusher. Yes, he was very productive getting to the QB which is why I can see him as a situational rusher at least to start.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm

He was one of the guys I wanted. I really like the safeties we added too though.
Nice, I love your avatar, I sure miss the Williams Wall!
Slick avatar. You didn't have one before did you? I wish more options were available. It's hard for me to find ones that fit. :beerock: :banana: :deadhorse:
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:59 pm

Slick avatar :beerock: :banana: :deadhorse:
Thank you! Kevin Williams is 3rd best defensive tackle after Page and Randle in my book! :rock:
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Slick avatar. You didn't have one before did you? I wish more options were available. It's hard for me to find ones that fit. :beerock: :banana: :deadhorse:
Nope! Yeah, they need to add more options and add your own avatar too
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:50 am

I'm probably just tech illiterate but I can't get the upload your own option to work. Also when I use the vertical pictures it messes up my notification visibility on the top bar.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:54 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:50 am

I'm probably just tech illiterate but I can't get the upload your own option to work. Also when I use the vertical pictures it messes up my notification visibility on the top bar.
I could not figure out how to upload my own avatar, it is useless
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:58 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Say whatever you want about tweener or whatever. Have you watched him on video. He beats the defender on virtually every single play. He just leans into them, gets them going backward and then he's by them.
That’s not necessarily a knock, it’s what he is. He’s not big enough to be a prototypical DT nor does he have the burst to be an edge rusher. Yes, he was very productive getting to the QB which is why I can see him as a situational rusher at least to start.
Very productive even sells him short. he was the most productive pressuring the QB of every DL in the nation.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am
S197 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Very productive even sells him short. he was the most productive pressuring the QB of every DL in the nation.
Yeah I mean no matter what position you're playing, if you're racking up 13.5 sacks in a college season and racking up the most pressures in the nation, you know how to rush the passer. Lynch was among the elite doing this in college.

And S197, you said he was too small to be a 3 tech DT, he is 6'4, 289 lbs.

John Randle was 6'1, 287 lbs.
Aaron Donald is 6'1, 284 lbs.
Gerald McCoy is 6'4, 295 lbs
Geno Atkins is 6'1, 302 lbs.
Jurell Casey is 6'1, 300 lbs

James Lynch is not too small. He has great size to be a DT. I can bet money he will be starting sooner than later and be very productive on top of it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am
Yeah I mean no matter what position you're playing, if you're racking up 13.5 sacks in a college season and racking up the most pressures in the nation, you know how to rush the passer. Lynch was among the elite doing this in college.

James Lynch is not too small. He has great size to be a DT. I can bet money he will be starting sooner than later and be very productive on top of it.
I'm a believer in Armon Watts. I think he is going to be a solid NFL player, but I'm guessing that it will only be backing up Lynch.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:29 am

I'm a believer in Armon Watts. I think he is going to be a solid NFL player, but I'm guessing that it will only be backing up Lynch.
I agree with Watts. I think he will be a solid DT for us. I'm even interested with Mata'afa. He was the defensive player of the year in his conference in college. He just put on a ton of weight and bulked up. I will say, between Lynch, Watts and Mata'afa, I really like the potential/rotation in that DT group. Then I would say Pierce and Shamar Stephen or Jaleel Johnson are the 1 techs. Shamar needs to go back to 1 tech. He's not a 3 tech IMO. Heck we could keep 6 DTs next year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

My take, I think Watts will be competing with Shamar Stefon and Anthony Zettel to start at 5tech DE. Lynch would be great in that position in passing situations, but not as good in running situations, where you really need a big body plus long arms that can shed.

Mata'afa and Idenigbo will probably be our two main competitors for 3tech, maybe Lynch backs up there too.

Jalyn Holmes, Jaleel Johnson, Yarborough will also be in the mix to find a home somewhere along the line..

Wonnum backs up Hunter as LEO and Barr at LB on the line of scrimmage, I think. He may well replace Barr in a year or two.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:58 am

My take, I think Watts will be competing with Shamar Stefon and Anthony Zettel to start at 5tech DE. Lynch would be great in that position in passing situations, but not as good in running situations, where you really need a big body plus long arms that can shed.

Mata'afa and Idenigbo will probably be our two main competitors for 3tech, maybe Lynch backs up there too.

Jalyn Holmes, Jaleel Johnson, Yarborough will also be in the mix to find a home somewhere along the line..

Wonnum backs up Hunter as LEO and Barr at LB on the line of scrimmage, I think. He may well replace Barr in a year or two.
Everything I've heard about Lynch is he projects as a 3T in the NFL. He played Edge in college, but wasn't a speed type going wide around them. He went straight at the Tackle's and instantly put them on their heels. IMO that will work even better at 3T. Lynch might start the season as a backup, but I don't think that status will last very long.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:25 am
fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:58 am

Everything I've heard about Lynch is he projects as a 3T in the NFL. He played Edge in college, but wasn't a speed type going wide around them. He went straight at the Tackle's and instantly put them on their heels. IMO that will work even better at 3T. Lynch might start the season as a backup, but I don't think that status will last very long.
If they stay with the scheme they have been running you are right. He'll be a 3T in that unit.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins