As long as Kirk Cousins is a Viking, they will never draft a quarterback!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: As long as Kirk Cousins is a Viking, they will never draft a quarterback!!!

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 pm If we are all fine with 9-7, 10-6, one and done in the playoffs, let's never take a chance on another QB and extend Cousins until forever.
If Cincinnati or Miami win the Super Bowl with Tua or Burrow I will become more interested in us doing so.
I am not sure what you mean by this.

Here are the SB winning QBs in the past 20 years who won it on a team that did not take a chance on drafting them:
Manning
Brees
Dilfer
Johnson

Only one of those guys was the key to the team winning the SB, the rest were carried by elite defenses.

The evidence is there already, why do you need more?

Or are you saying the Vikings only made a mistake in not taking a chance on a QB if one of the QBs they didn't take a chance on wins a Super Bowl?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:31 pm Why would you invest in a QB with a high pick when you just extended Kirk and have many glaring holes? The only QB worth taking this draft imo went first overall.
Eagles just drafted Hurts. Packers Love. Who the #### is Kirk Cousins?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Us Vikings fans shouldn't talk about what the Packers did at QB. They have 2 HOfers back to back. We don't have one.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:21 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:31 pm Why would you invest in a QB with a high pick when you just extended Kirk and have many glaring holes? The only QB worth taking this draft imo went first overall.
Eagles just drafted Hurts. Packers Love. Who the #### is Kirk Cousins?
Kirk>Hurts, Wentz, and Love
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:25 pm Us Vikings fans shouldn't talk about what the Packers did at QB. They have 2 HOfers back to back. We don't have one.
Fran Tarkenton says hello. Brett was also a Viking.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:25 pm Us Vikings fans shouldn't talk about what the Packers did at QB. They have 2 HOfers back to back. We don't have one.
You forgot Vikings had Favre and Tarkenton who are Hall of Famers?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 pm If we are all fine with 9-7, 10-6, one and done in the playoffs, let's never take a chance on another QB and extend Cousins until forever.
So since that’s what Kirk did this year are you saying he hit his ceiling and can’t do better than 10-6 or win more than 1 game in the playoffs? I mean he’s been here for 2 years, not 8. If that’s what you’re saying then it’s nothing but pure speculation.

And sorry but you’re just trying to egg people on saying “let’s just extend cousins until forever”. Nobody is saying that, you know nobody is saying that, so why say it?

I mean if you look at every starting QB in the nfl this is what you have:

Jets: Darnold- 1st round
Bills: Allen- 1st
Dolphins: Tua - 1st
Patriots: Stidham- 4th

Steelers: Roethlisberger- 1st
Ravens: Jackson- 1st
Browns: Mayfield- 1st
Bengals: Burrow- 1st

Jaguars: Minshew- 6th
Titans: Tannehill- 1st
Colts: Rivers- 1st
Texans: Watson- 1st

Chiefs: Mahomes- 1st
Raiders: Carr- 2nd
Chargers: Herbert- 1st
Broncos: Lock- 2nd

Eagles: Wentz- 1st
Redskins: Haskins- 1st
Giants: Jones- 1st
Cowboys: Prescott- 3rd

Vikings: Cousins- 4th
Bears: Trubisky- 1st
Lions: Stafford- 1st
Packers: Rodgers- 1st

Falcons: Ryan- 1st
Saints: Brees- 1st
Bucs: Brady- 6th
Panthers: Bridgewater- 1st

Rams: Goff- 1st
49ers: Garoppolo- 2nd
Cardinals: Murray- 1st
Seahawks: Wilson- 3rd

So in the end,

23 of 32 QBs in the nfl are 1st round picks
3 of 32 are 2nd round
2 of 32 are 3rd round
2 of 32 is 4th round
0 of 32 are 5th round
2 of 32 are 6th round
0 of 32 are 7th round

So outside of the first round, there are 9 of 32 QBs in the nfl are non-first round QBs. Those QBs are:

Stidham
Minshew
Lock
Prescott
Cousins
Brady
Garoppolo
Wilson

How many are any good? 4-5 of them? If you’re drafting a QB in rounds 2-7, the chances of you hitting on that player are MUCH lower than if you take one in the first. How often are QBs taken in round 2-7 ever successful? So many fans want some “developmental” guy and all this bologna. To develop into what? Like yeah sure there is a chance but it’s very slim unless you take one in the first round that this guy “develops” into a legitimate starter.

So I guess my point is, given how good this draft was for us, what are you complaining about? Because we didn’t take James Morgan in the 4th round? If you thought we should’ve actually take a QB in the first round who would that have been? Do you realize what it would’ve cost to trade up to even #6 to get Herbert?? We would’ve had glaring holes all over this team if we tried doing that. Jordan love was not worthy of a 1st round pick. It was up to the big 3 if we really wanted a shot a someone. And Tua and Herbert also have giant question marks. Most starting caliber QBs come out of the 1st round. We’d have to trade up a boatload for it to POSSIBLY be worth it. I’m sorry but nobody outside of Burrow in this class was worth that. And making a trade for Burrow would have put us so far behind it wouldn’t even be realistically possible.

Nobody is saying we should never look for a QB and just stick with cousins forever but not only was this class not worth it or a huge trade not worth it but we also had much bigger shoes to fill all over this roster. There is very little, if anything, to complain about in this draft. Actual performance aside, this draft was excellent in just about any way you could think of and I would think most would agree on that. Just because you don’t like cousins and don’t want him on this team doesn’t mean we should address the QB position every year while he is here.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:19 am
So since that’s what Kirk did this year are you saying he hit his ceiling and can’t do better than 10-6 or win more than 1 game in the playoffs? I mean he’s been here for 2 years, not 8. If that’s what you’re saying then it’s nothing but pure speculation.

And sorry but you’re just trying to egg people on saying “let’s just extend cousins until forever”. Nobody is saying that, you know nobody is saying that, so why say it?

So in the end,

3 of 32 are 2nd round
2 of 32 are 3rd round
2 of 32 is 4th round
0 of 32 are 5th round
2 of 32 are 6th round
0 of 32 are 7th round

So outside of the first round, there are 9 of 32 QBs in the nfl are non-first round QBs. Those QBs are:

Stidham
Minshew
Lock
Prescott
Cousins
Brady
Garoppolo
Wilson

How many are any good? 4-5 of them? If you’re drafting a QB in rounds 2-7, the chances of you hitting on that player are MUCH lower than if you take one in the first. How often are QBs taken in round 2-7 ever successful? So many fans want some “developmental” guy and all this bologna. To develop into what? Like yeah sure there is a chance but it’s very slim unless you take one in the first round that this guy “develops” into a legitimate starter.

So I guess my point is, given how good this draft was for us, what are you complaining about? Because we didn’t take James Morgan in the 4th round? If you thought we should’ve actually take a QB in the first round who would that have been? Do you realize what it would’ve cost to trade up to even #6 to get Herbert?? We would’ve had glaring holes all over this team if we tried doing that. Jordan love was not worthy of a 1st round pick. It was up to the big 3 if we really wanted a shot a someone. And Tua and Herbert also have giant question marks. Most starting caliber QBs come out of the 1st round. We’d have to trade up a boatload for it to POSSIBLY be worth it. I’m sorry but nobody outside of Burrow in this class was worth that. And making a trade for Burrow would have put us so far behind it wouldn’t even be realistically possible.

Nobody is saying we should never look for a QB and just stick with cousins forever but not only was this class not worth it or a huge trade not worth it but we also had much bigger shoes to fill all over this roster. There is very little, if anything, to complain about in this draft. Actual performance aside, this draft was excellent in just about any way you could think of and I would think most would agree on that. Just because you don’t like cousins and don’t want him on this team doesn’t mean we should address the QB position every year while he is here.
Correct, the secret to finding a QBOTF future is investing a 1st round pick or two in the position. With teams having more success when they are drafting a QBOTF they really like in the first round instead of waiting until they are desperate and drafting any guy who falls to them.

Quick correction above. Brees was technically a 2nd round pick.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I'm pretty sure that Fran Tarkenton is in the Hall of Fame. Cousins time will tell.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 am

So in the end,

3 of 32 are 2nd round
2 of 32 are 3rd round
2 of 32 is 4th round
0 of 32 are 5th round
2 of 32 are 6th round
0 of 32 are 7th round

Stidham
Minshew
Lock
Prescott
Cousins
Brady
Garoppolo
Wilson

Correct, the secret to finding a QBOTF future is investing a 1st round pick or two in the position. With teams having more success when they are drafting a QBOTF they really like in the first round instead of waiting until they are desperate and drafting any guy who falls to them.

Quick correction above. Brees was technically a 2nd round pick.
Right and I'm well aware that the first round will be where they are going to be at. However, guys say they want us to draft a QB to develop? Well Spielman never drafts QBs in the mid to late rounds but took Stanley this year. Isn't that a developmental guy? I mean he definitely does have some upside. But guys arent really clarifying. They want a QB to develop and thought we should have taken one in the first round? Or taken one in the 3rd round (where your chances of finding a legit starter are extremely low)? Or are they good with taking Stanley?

The point of the above post was to prove that chances are, your QB of the future is going to be in the first round. So to the guys ragging on Spielman for his draft this year, is that what you wanted to do? Trade up using both our first round picks, next years first round pick and some mid round picks? For Justin Herbert? If that tickles your fancy, be my guest but I wouldnt have done that deal if someone had a gun to my head. In no way, shape or form would that trade be worth it to me. I'd much rather look into the next two season rather than right now when we lost, what seemed like, half of our team in free agency.

Right and thanks for the correction on Brees.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

So in the end,

3 of 32 are 2nd round
2 of 32 are 3rd round
2 of 32 is 4th round
0 of 32 are 5th round
2 of 32 are 6th round
0 of 32 are 7th round

Stidham
Minshew
Lock
Prescott
Cousins
Brady
Garoppolo
Wilson

Great Post. Drafting a QB after the first round is usually a waste of a pick and a waste of time.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

S197 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:16 pm
Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Exactly. And how many teams in the league have back up QB's who are a serious challenge to their starter? Unless your starter is Mariotta or Winston or a declining Eli, you don't spend big money on a back up. Although many don't believe it, Kirk is a really good QB.
The Patriots, the Packers, the Colts, the Eagles to name a few. And the Washington Redskins when they drafted Cousins. Give or take depending on your definition of a high pick. But a lot of teams will invest a 3rd/4th or higher to find a backup at the most important position on the field. Just not this team.
Yeah, ok. But the Pats, Packers QBs are/were old. Colts? Not thinking of anybody. Luck for Peyton? I though Peyton was out the door by then. Eagles, yes, because Wentz is looking quite pedestrian after an amazing start. I don't think they are sold on him. Skins did it because Danny forced Shanny to pick RG3, who Shanny didn't want. He wanted Cousins. But yeah, there is certainly nothing wrong with investing a 3rd or 4th in a back up QB. I guess they think they can get a cheap vet to do that job and not have to invest a 3rd on a guy, who if he was any good, unless he is an anomaly, wouldn't be a 3rd or 4th rounder.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:06 am

So in the end,

3 of 32 are 2nd round
2 of 32 are 3rd round
2 of 32 is 4th round
0 of 32 are 5th round
2 of 32 are 6th round
0 of 32 are 7th round

Stidham
Minshew
Lock
Prescott
Cousins
Brady
Garoppolo
Wilson

Great Post. Drafting a QB after the first round is usually a waste of a pick and a waste of time.
Thanks and ya know what, if our team was loaded top to bottom, maybe only had a hole or two then maybe taking one in the 2nd or 3rd is warranted if there is a guy we really like. But if there isnt someone we're high on available in those middle rounds, dont just pick a QB because it's what "what you're suppose to do".

The fricken Patriots literally have Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham and didnt draft a single QB. We have Kirk Cousins on our roster and guys are saying we should draft a QB early (mainly the ones that dont like Cousins) but the best coach of all time, Bill Belichick loses Tom Brady and went an entire draft without picking up a single QB. And they were picking right next to us. I guess Bill Belichick must be clueless too since he didnt trade up for Herbert or Tua.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:13 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:06 am
Thanks and ya know what, if our team was loaded top to bottom, maybe only had a hole or two then maybe taking one in the 2nd or 3rd is warranted if there is a guy we really like. But if there isnt someone we're high on available in those middle rounds, dont just pick a QB because it's what "what you're suppose to do".

The fricken Patriots literally have Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham and didnt draft a single QB. We have Kirk Cousins on our roster and guys are saying we should draft a QB early (mainly the ones that dont like Cousins) but the best coach of all time, Bill Belichick loses Tom Brady and went an entire draft without picking up a single QB. And they were picking right next to us. I guess Bill Belichick must be clueless too since he didnt trade up for Herbert or Tua.
He's tanking.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:13 am

Correct again. I don't like the mentality of taking a QB just to take him. That isn't how you get your guy.

I think where people have valid concerns with Rick not taking guys in the mid-rounds, is that there have been a couple of QBs available in those rounds who would have been great picks, and we passed on them. Wilson, Prescott, and yes, even Cousins.

There should have been guys who Rick was high on and who he should have spent a pick on, and he hasn't pulled the trigger. To be fair a lot of GMs also didn't pull the trigger, but a lot of those GMs who should have been looking at a QB in those rounds are no longer employed.