Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Draft thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:02 am
StpViking wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 am I hate to be the negative guy here, but I have to be realistic. After the high of the 2020 draft wore off, here's my take.

We have a few starters, no blue chip prospect. The rest are basically try outs, definitely not enough room on the 53 man roster for all these guys. I still expect the usual 8-8 season, possibly worse. All in all, I expect most if not all these guys will not make it beyond their rookie contract.
For sure. Very likely many/most won't make the team. If one or two of the guys after the 3rd round make it to a second contract you've made a great pick. If they stick on the team and contribute for 3 or 4 years you've made a very good pick. If they become a starter and a multi contract player, it's a grand slam.
Lynch was beating his opponent on every play I really like that guy
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Who do you guys think will be our return men? Will Osborn win it?
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:05 pm Who do you guys think eill be put return men? Will Osborn win it?
We will give him every chance to win the Punt Return job. He actually wasn't good at Kickoff returns.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Remember Jake Reed? I just found out that Jake Reed's son JR Reed went undrafted and signed with Jaguars this morning, it would have been cool to have him in the Vikings family
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm Remember Jake Reed? I just found out that Jake Reed's son JR Reed went undrafted and signed with Jaguars this morning, it would have been cool to have him in the Vikings family
He was one of the guys I wanted. I really like the safeties we added too though.
mael·strom

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:30 pm
fiestavike wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:02 am

For sure. Very likely many/most won't make the team. If one or two of the guys after the 3rd round make it to a second contract you've made a great pick. If they stick on the team and contribute for 3 or 4 years you've made a very good pick. If they become a starter and a multi contract player, it's a grand slam.
Lynch is interesting in that he’s a tweener and doesn’t really fit in one particular spot very well. I’m thinking situational DT pass rusher ala Hercules and Weatherly last year on 3rd down. Speaking of Hercules, I heard he packed on a lot of weight this offseason, it will be interesting to see how he improves this year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:07 pm
Lynch is interesting in that he’s a tweener and doesn’t really fit in one particular spot very well. I’m thinking situational DT pass rusher ala Hercules and Weatherly last year on 3rd down. Speaking of Hercules, I heard he packed on a lot of weight this offseason, it will be interesting to see how he improves this year.
We seemed to draft a lot of tweeners and position versatile guys on defense. I really am wondering if this article has got it right

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/9/ ... on-defense

Dye and Kendricks in coverage underneath in this? Gladney and Dantzler playing press. Harris and Harrison disguising coverages! :beerock: Hunter and 3tech (idenigbo, lynch, mata'afa) with consitent 1 on 1 matchups!? :beerock: :beerock: :beerock: :beerock:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Say whatever you want about tweener or whatever. Have you watched him on video. He beats the defender on virtually every single play. He just leans into them, gets them going backward and then he's by them.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Say whatever you want about tweener or whatever. Have you watched him on video. He beats the defender on virtually every single play. He just leans into them, gets them going backward and then he's by them.
True. John Randle and Aaron Donald were also tweeners. He might just need a chance.
mael·strom

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Draft network scout sees him as a 5tech, or maybe a 3tech and that makes sense to me. I think they are going to a 4-3 under, cover 3, and that really explains a lot of the moves in the offseasons and in the draft. I hope it will allow the defense to play more downhill. With more momentum, instead of always reacting. Whoever plays the 3tech is going to have s chance to explode.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:34 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:05 pm Who do you guys think eill be put return men? Will Osborn win it?
We will give him every chance to win the Punt Return job. He actually wasn't good at Kickoff returns.
Is Sherels still on the team though?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm Remember Jake Reed? I just found out that Jake Reed's son JR Reed went undrafted and signed with Jaguars this morning, it would have been cool to have him in the Vikings family
He was one of the guys I wanted. I really like the safeties we added too though.
Nice, I love your avatar, I sure miss the Williams Wall!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Thanks! I thought it was time for a change up and couldn't pass up that belly :lol: Unfortunately I'm gonna have to change it because it's hiding my notifications.
mael·strom

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:06 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks! I thought it was time for a change up and couldn't pass up that belly :lol: Unfortunately I'm gonna have to change it because it's hiding my notifications.
The purple people eaters!!! Love your avatar! :smilevike:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:19 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:06 pm

The purple people eaters!!! Love your avatar! :smilevike:
Thanks brotha!

:smilevike: :v): :beerock: :rock:
mael·strom