Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Draft thread

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I loved this draft. And I'm really excited to see a lot of these young guys meld with the existing core to see what it looks like. It will be nice to see new blood out there znd something that holds promise.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:50 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:39 pm I mentioned early we’d be getting some 2021 picks. So far we gained an extra 2021 4th and two 5ths. Plus the 4th from the diggs trade.

So next year so far it looks like:

1st
2nd
3rd
3rd (Projected compensatory for Waynes)
4th
4th (diggs trade)
4th (2020 draft trade)
5th
5th (2020 draft trade)
5th (2020 draft trade)
6th
6th (projected compensatory for Alexander)
7th
7th (projected compensatory for sendejo)
7th (projected compensatory for Kearse, based on playing time)

We literally could have roughly 15 picks going into next year already. And that’s not counting some more we could land today. I said this offseason on here that guys had to stop worrying about free agency and it looked like they were planning on building through the draft. Not only have they done that this year but they are doing it again next year
Where did the 5th rounders come from? I know one was in the trade with Baltimore, but which trade did the other 2020 5th rounder come in?
I made a mistake there. Saw a tweet that said we landed two 5ths for next year. It was only one. So I think that would put us at 13 picks already for next year. Nearly double most nfl teams. Love it!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I forgot to mention that I am not surprised that Vikings did not draft a running back, they must be happy with their running back corps with Cook, Mattison, Boone, and Abdullah
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Can always draft a RB next year. Most of them can contribute in year one.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:23 am Can always draft a RB next year. Most of them can contribute in year one.
That is true
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:59 pm Yeah this was an impressive draft. Spielman worked like a dog. This draft was a perfect example of trading down and still landing who you want. We did it multiple times.

And by the way, 15 picks was what we ended up with and it is indeed an NFL record for most picks in a draft. We could very well break our own record next year given we’re going to have roughly 14-15. We’re in a great position in terms of that. We can continue to trade some of these late rounders for mid rounders and have ammo in every draft to trade up when we want our guy.

On a side note, Carolina was the first team ever to draft all defensive players. I have no idea why they would even do that but it happened
I mostly agree, but the part I've bolded is what frustrates me about Rick's deeply entrenched drafting habits. He always talks about being able to move up in rounds 3-5, but he NEVER does it. Instead he always moves BACK, in order to accumulate MORE picks. He's like a hoarder. Then in interviews he claims that there weren't trade partners for moving up, and yet other teams found ways to do it. My read is that those deals seem too expensive for him, a guy who excessively covets 7th round picks.

I actually don't even have too much of a problem with the strategy, as it has served us pretty well over the years, but I can't stand the gap between what he says and what he does.

Lest you all think I'm down on this year's draft (I'm not), let me praise the Ricker for some picks. I love our first three picks and that he was able to move back, get extra picks, and still land Gladney. Classick Rick move. Ezra Cleveland comps out to O'Neil, and he's worked out great for us. Here's to hoping we have nearly identical bookends on our line for years to come.

I also like James Lynch, a ton. I try to stay away from Baylor games since they are a rival to both of my college teams and the institution kind of gives me the hee-bee-geebies, but I had to admit some major respect this past year to what Rhule was doing down in Waco, and whenever I caught a Bears' game, Lynch was electric. Leading up to the draft, I couldn't believe he was getting projected to go so late. He's a guy who just plays so hard and is a better football player than a tester. He'll be like BRob for us.

Lastly, that LB from Oregon looks intriguing and on Reddit so many ducks fans showed up in the Vikings Sub to congratulate us on a great pick who would excel as a pro. That's a great sign. As a poster there said: that's the most they'd seen that happen since we picked Diggs.

I wish we had gotten some guards in the 4th and 5th. We just missed out on Bartch, which would have been a cool local boy pick. I guess they are trusting in last year's picks at the position. In an interview of Rick I saw yesterday he made it clear it was open competition at both G positions. They are not viewing Elf as a certain starter, thankfully.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:50 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:59 pm Yeah this was an impressive draft. Spielman worked like a dog. This draft was a perfect example of trading down and still landing who you want. We did it multiple times.

And by the way, 15 picks was what we ended up with and it is indeed an NFL record for most picks in a draft. We could very well break our own record next year given we’re going to have roughly 14-15. We’re in a great position in terms of that. We can continue to trade some of these late rounders for mid rounders and have ammo in every draft to trade up when we want our guy.

On a side note, Carolina was the first team ever to draft all defensive players. I have no idea why they would even do that but it happened
I mostly agree, but the part I've bolded is what frustrates me about Rick's deeply entrenched drafting habits. He always talks about being able to move up in rounds 3-5, but he NEVER does it. Instead he always moves BACK, in order to accumulate MORE picks. He's like a hoarder. Then in interviews he claims that there weren't trade partners for moving up, and yet other teams found ways to do it. My read is that those deals seem too expensive for him, a guy who excessively covets 7th round picks.

I actually don't even have too much of a problem with the strategy, as it has served us pretty well over the years, but I can't stand the gap between what he says and what he does.

Lest you all think I'm down on this year's draft (I'm not), let me praise the Ricker for some picks. I love our first three picks and that he was able to move back, get extra picks, and still land Gladney. Classick Rick move. Ezra Cleveland comps out to O'Neil, and he's worked out great for us. Here's to hoping we have nearly identical bookends on our line for years to come.

I also like James Lynch, a ton. I try to stay away from Baylor games since they are a rival to both of my college teams and the institution kind of gives me the hee-bee-geebies, but I had to admit some major respect this past year to what Rhule was doing down in Waco, and whenever I caught a Bears' game, Lynch was electric. Leading up to the draft, I couldn't believe he was getting projected to go so late. He's a guy who just plays so hard and is a better football player than a tester. He'll be like BRob for us.

Lastly, that LB from Oregon looks intriguing and on Reddit so many ducks fans showed up in the Vikings Sub to congratulate us on a great pick who would excel as a pro. That's a great sign. As a poster there said: that's the most they'd seen that happen since we picked Diggs.

I wish we had gotten some guards in the 4th and 5th. We just missed out on Bartch, which would have been a cool local boy pick. I guess they are trusting in last year's picks at the position. In an interview of Rick I saw yesterday he made it clear it was open competition at both G positions. They are not viewing Elf as a certain starter, thankfully.
I am not surprised, I am really hoping Samia wins the starting job, Boomer Sooner! :rock:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

It is hard for me to get excited about some of the later round guys when the Vikings were not even that high on them.

If you really like Wonnum and think he is the next Griff or Hunter, aren't you running to the virtual podium to draft him with your compensatory 3rd? That is even more true of trading picks for picks in next year's draft. If you really like the guy you drafted in the 6th, why didn't you use your 5th rounder to get him instead of trading it to the Bears'?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Vikings undrafted free agents that Vikings signed so far:

David Moa/OT/Boise State
Blake Lynch/LB/Baylor
Tyler Higby/OL/Michigan State
Jake Lacina/C/Augustana
Quartney Davis/WR/Texas A&M
Brady Aiello/OL/Oregon

Did anyone wanted those players?
Last edited by RandyMoss84 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

I hate to be the negative guy here, but I have to be realistic. After the high of the 2020 draft wore off, here's my take.

We have a few starters, no blue chip prospect. The rest are basically try outs, definitely not enough room on the 53 man roster for all these guys. I still expect the usual 8-8 season, possibly worse. All in all, I expect most if not all these guys will not make it beyond their rookie contract.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

StpViking wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 am I hate to be the negative guy here, but I have to be realistic. After the high of the 2020 draft wore off, here's my take.

We have a few starters, no blue chip prospect. The rest are basically try outs, definitely not enough room on the 53 man roster for all these guys. I still expect the usual 8-8 season, possibly worse. All in all, I expect most if not all these guys will not make it beyond their rookie contract.
If Vikings miss the playoffs then Zimmer and Speilman needs to be fired, missing the playoffs every other year is unexcuseable with the talent on the team
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:40 pm James Lynch reminds me of Derek Wolfe.
Game Video on him is amazing. He lives in the opposing backfield.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StpViking wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 am I hate to be the negative guy here, but I have to be realistic. After the high of the 2020 draft wore off, here's my take.

Players I love from this draft. Round taken and comments.
1Jefferson WR Ridiculously productive. good size, speed, great hands, and good routes.
1 Gladney CB Has held up very well against the best WRs in the land. Incredibly Strong.
2 Cleveland OL Amazingly athletic and looks great on video
3 Dantzler CB Super Aggressive, gets in the face of the WR and held up against Chase.
4 Lynch Dl Big, strong, aggressive. Lives in the opposing backfield
4 Dye LB/S Great athlete and tackling machine. Can play LB and Safety
6 Brandel OL Getting the PFF #1 rated pass blocker in all the land in the 6th round. That's OK with me.
7 Willekes Edge Super Productive Big10 DPoY
7 Hinton G A guard who runs a 4.88 40 and 34 bench reps in the 7th round. Can't be true can it?

The others.
4 Wonnum Edge I think he's a reach, but I thought Hunter was a reach
5 Hand CB/S Nothing stands out. Not bad
5 Osborn WR Great punt returner poor KO returner and OK WR. Would have preferred Donovan Peoples-Jones
6 Metellus S what I would expect from a 6th round safety.
7 Stanley QB Productive, but just seems like a camp body
7 Cole S Good size. what I would expect from a 7th round Safety
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 am It is hard for me to get excited about some of the later round guys when the Vikings were not even that high on them.

If you really like Wonnum and think he is the next Griff or Hunter, aren't you running to the virtual podium to draft him with your compensatory 3rd? That is even more true of trading picks for picks in next year's draft. If you really like the guy you drafted in the 6th, why didn't you use your 5th rounder to get him instead of trading it to the Bears'?
Presumably because you have players rated and valued in tiers.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

For sure. Very likely many/most won't make the team. If one or two of the guys after the 3rd round make it to a second contract you've made a great pick. If they stick on the team and contribute for 3 or 4 years you've made a very good pick. If they become a starter and a multi contract player, it's a grand slam.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins