As long as Kirk Cousins is a Viking, they will never draft a quarterback!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

As long as Kirk Cousins is a Viking, they will never draft a quarterback!!!

Post by Purplepain2018 »

I believe I have posted here before on this, but it is so obvious after watching this draft that as long as Kirk Cousins is in Minnesota they will never draft a quarterback. Why? I do not know. I guess the front office feels that would be too much pressure on Cousins to handle knowing the Vikings drafted a quarterback and he may take your job. Plus, what I really think it is that Minnesota gave Cousins so much money and that if they do draft a quarterback and he outplays Cousins well then they are going to look like some pretty stupid front office people who don't know what they are doing and they may get fired. I really believe that is what it is.

There were some interesting quarterback prospects in this draft, Tua, Hurts, Fromm, Eason, Herbert that all would be really good additions to Minnesota. The only thing is you have Cousins who they have paid a ton of money to and they don't want to bring in a guy who could take his job. I just don't get it. In Philadelphia, they just drafted Jalen Hurts even though they have Carson Wentz. In Green Bay, they just drafted Jordan Love even though they have the chosen one Aaron Rodgers. there.

If Cousins were to get hurt or injured, the Vikings have absolutely nobody to come in and take over. Sean Mannion and Jake Browning are not the answers. So now we have to go another year without any hope at the qb position.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: As long as Kirk Cousins is a Viking, they will never draft a quarterback!!!

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Blame the Vikings for their love on awful Mannion which I do not get
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It’s not Cousins. Who did they draft when Favre was here? What about when Ponder was here? Bridgewater? Rick doesn’t EVER draft QBs. He’ll take a long snapper in the draft before he addresses the most important position on the field. And that’s not even hyperbole, it’s what literally happened.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:17 pm It’s not Cousins. Who did they draft when Favre was here? What about when Ponder was here? Bridgewater? Rick doesn’t EVER draft QBs. He’ll take a long snapper in the draft before he addresses the most important position on the field. And that’s not even hyperbole, it’s what literally happened.
Now Speilman drafted a quarterback so be happy
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Vikings drafted a quarterback.

Guess you’re wrong again.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Why would you invest in a QB with a high pick when you just extended Kirk and have many glaring holes? The only QB worth taking this draft imo went first overall.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:31 pm Why would you invest in a QB with a high pick when you just extended Kirk and have many glaring holes? The only QB worth taking this draft imo went first overall.
Cmon mael, Tua’s worth a shot.
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

84BreaksAnkles wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:25 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:31 pm Why would you invest in a QB with a high pick when you just extended Kirk and have many glaring holes? The only QB worth taking this draft imo went first overall.
True, but we didn't have a shot at him.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:28 pm

True, but we didn't have a shot at him.
I totally understand but my statement was in reply to mael’s hyperbolic claim that the “only qb worth taking went 1st overall”
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The injury history and frail build scare me off. I just feel like injury prone Qbs keep getting injured. I like his anticipation, accuracy, and mobility in the pocket from what I've seen but I personally wouldn't take him anywhere close to where he was drafted for the medical stuff. I may be wrong though.
mael·strom

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think Eason at the end of the 3rd was good value. Would have liked to see that pick or maybe Simpson at guard over the trade back.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I’ve said before that if we’re going to draft a QB high, this wasn’t the draft to do it. No less out of the “big 3”, the latest one went at 6 which was Herbert who I’m not even impressed with. Anyone have any idea what it would cost to get up to 6 from 22? We would’ve had glaring holes all over this roster if we made that move.

GB did this over the weekend taking Love, on a trade up no less. Their draft was horrendous. If anyone said, “what are the two strongest positions on GBs roster?” Most would say QB and RB. What did they do? Took a QB and a RB with their first two picks. Then followed it up with a TE. PFF gave the packers a “D” for their draft. We got an “A”. No less they picked a QB that legitimately struggled in the mountain west. 61% completion percentage, 20 TDs and 17 INTs....in the mountain west. I don’t care if they are trying to pull of a Favre/Rodgers move or not, it was a terrible pick and love isn’t the guy to pull that off with. Aaron Rodgers at least played at Cal in a good conference and had a good year. GB could’ve took Jalen Hurts and I’d say it was a better pick. I guess this is what happens when you have an offensive minded coach. It’s honestly one of the worst drafts I’ve seen in a long time by a team and I couldn’t be happier that it was the packers.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:10 am I’ve said before that if we’re going to draft a QB high, this wasn’t the draft to do it. No less out of the “big 3”, the latest one went at 6 which was Herbert who I’m not even impressed with. Anyone have any idea what it would cost to get up to 6 from 22? We would’ve had glaring holes all over this roster if we made that move.

GB did this over the weekend taking Love, on a trade up no less. Their draft was horrendous. If anyone said, “what are the two strongest positions on GBs roster?” Most would say QB and RB. What did they do? Took a QB and a RB with their first two picks. Then followed it up with a TE. PFF gave the packers a “D” for their draft. We got an “A”. No less they picked a QB that legitimately struggled in the mountain west. 61% completion percentage, 20 TDs and 17 INTs....in the mountain west. I don’t care if they are trying to pull of a Favre/Rodgers move or not, it was a terrible pick and love isn’t the guy to pull that off with. Aaron Rodgers at least played at Cal in a good conference and had a good year. GB could’ve took Jalen Hurts and I’d say it was a better pick. I guess this is what happens when you have an offensive minded coach. It’s honestly one of the worst drafts I’ve seen in a long time by a team and I couldn’t be happier that it was the packers.
Exactly. I see the Vikings being on top in the North for awhile. I think Rodgers is going to have bad blood with the Packers braintrust now and it will be awesome to watch it unfold.
mael·strom

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:07 am I think Eason at the end of the 3rd was good value. Would have liked to see that pick or maybe Simpson at guard over the trade back.
I agree with Pondering that this wasn't the draft to go after a QB. The Vikings had way too many holes to fill to spend draft capital on a QB unless an obvious BPA situation presented itself and one didn't.

I will be interested to see how Eason's career pans out. I was pretty excited about his potential but then cooled on him as I learned more. Has great physical tools but doesn't seem to have a great grasp of the mental aspects of the game, so it will be interesting to see if he can develop that part of his game. If he can, he'll be another QB we all wonder how in the world he lasted as late as he did and why the Vikings didn't draft him with one of their multiple chances to do so.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:47 am
S197 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:07 am I think Eason at the end of the 3rd was good value. Would have liked to see that pick or maybe Simpson at guard over the trade back.
I agree with Pondering that this wasn't the draft to go after a QB. The Vikings had way too many holes to fill to spend draft capital on a QB unless an obvious BPA situation presented itself and one didn't.

I will be interested to see how Eason's career pans out. I was pretty excited about his potential but then cooled on him as I learned more. Has great physical tools but doesn't seem to have a great grasp of the mental aspects of the game, so it will be interesting to see if he can develop that part of his game. If he can, he'll be another QB we all wonder how in the world he lasted as late as he did and why the Vikings didn't draft him with one of their multiple chances to do so.
I think that’s why I liked him as a late 3rd (practically a 4th) round pick. He could sit for two years behind Cousins and pick up the nuances. The physical traits you can’t teach are there. I like giving guys with the physical tools time to incubate rather than being thrust into a starting role. He would have had that here. And the cost was low enough it wouldn’t have been that prohibitive if he didn’t pan out.