Vikings select WR- Justin Jefferson, LSU

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings select WR- Justin Jefferson, LSU

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings selected LSU WR Justin Jefferson with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
A two-year starting slot receiver at LSU, Jefferson (6’1/202) set the school record for receptions (111) as a junior in the most prolific passing offense in college football history. He wins with nuanced route running, steady hands, straigh-tline speed (4.41), and 6.4 YAC per reception. Per Pro Football Focus, Jefferson accumulated 41 percent of his 2019 yardage (1,540) from ins, outs, and crosses, which are fortunately the routes he’ll likely see most often with the Vikings. He also ranked second to Jerry Jeudy in 15-plus yard catches the past two seasons. Jefferson can be a reliable target in any role as a rookie since he ran 19 percent of his routes from the slot in '18 before seeing an increase to 78 percent during the team's National Championship run. He's a high-floor, high-ceiling WR3/4 in Minnesota since the opportunity is ripe for an every-down role across from Adam Thielen. The Vikings will still utilize a heavy dose of 12 personnel featuring Kyle Rudolph and Irv Smith, too.
Figured I would do a separate thread for each pick. Love this pick and had it in my mock on here!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings select WR- Justin Jefferson, LSU

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:09 pm
Vikings selected LSU WR Justin Jefferson with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
A two-year starting slot receiver at LSU, Jefferson (6’1/202) set the school record for receptions (111) as a junior in the most prolific passing offense in college football history. He wins with nuanced route running, steady hands, straigh-tline speed (4.41), and 6.4 YAC per reception. Per Pro Football Focus, Jefferson accumulated 41 percent of his 2019 yardage (1,540) from ins, outs, and crosses, which are fortunately the routes he’ll likely see most often with the Vikings. He also ranked second to Jerry Jeudy in 15-plus yard catches the past two seasons. Jefferson can be a reliable target in any role as a rookie since he ran 19 percent of his routes from the slot in '18 before seeing an increase to 78 percent during the team's National Championship run. He's a high-floor, high-ceiling WR3/4 in Minnesota since the opportunity is ripe for an every-down role across from Adam Thielen. The Vikings will still utilize a heavy dose of 12 personnel featuring Kyle Rudolph and Irv Smith, too.
Figured I would do a separate thread for each pick. Love this pick and had it in my mock on here!
:appl: :thumbsup:

I remember you had the Vikes taking him at #22, so awesome prediction on that.

I'm happy with the pick. Jefferson was BPA and the Vikes had a need for a WR, so I can't complain. Really love that Jefferson brings a great work ethic, solid leadership, and a mature understanding and ability to run routes. I think Cousins and he will get on the same page quickly.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Very productive and checks the height weight speed boxes. Solid pick who I see contributing early.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I wanted Lamb! :wallbang: I saw that Zimmer was trying to trade up for Jefferson, Vikings are very fortunate that Jefferson dropped to #22, I hope Justin will be a great Viking!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think this was a solid pick and an absolute gift from the Eagles. I had them taking him and us having to pivot to grabbing a corner.

LSU has put out some great WRs in OBJ and Landry over the years so there's a nice history of production at the position. And I like that he was successful in the toughest conference in the country. How much the scheme and Burrow helped him remains to be seen, or maybe how much he helped Burrow. Hah.

The Vikings apparently got their guy so in Kub we trust. The only ding is they panicked a little and tried to trade up for him and luckily other teams apparently bailed us out. The value on the trade down was poor as well. Rick needs to do better tonight.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

From Sean Borman Twitter:

Gary Kubiak on the #Vikings podcast said he received insight on WR Justin Jefferson from LSU coaches that he's worked with in the past "I know we're all excited as coaches but I think we should all be excited in Minnesota because this young man has a chance to be a great player"

"You don't catch 111 balls in a season - be it pro football or college football - unless you're a very bright player. As a receiver, to do that, you have to have the ability to move around (backfield/slot/outside)."
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:25 pm I wanted Lamb! :wallbang: I saw that Zimmer was trying to trade up for Jefferson, Vikings are very fortunate that Jefferson dropped to #22, I hope Justin will be a great Viking!
if the Vikings had traded up and taken Jefferson with Lamb still available I would have completely lost it. If they traded up to 19 with 22-89 I would have almost lost it. When they took him at 22 instead of my favorite Mims I was perfectly OK with that.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:35 pm I think this was a solid pick and an absolute gift from the Eagles. I had them taking him and us having to pivot to grabbing a corner.

LSU has put out some great WRs in OBJ and Landry over the years so there's a nice history of production at the position. And I like that he was successful in the toughest conference in the country. How much the scheme and Burrow helped him remains to be seen, or maybe how much he helped Burrow. Hah.

The Vikings apparently got their guy so in Kub we trust. The only ding is they panicked a little and tried to trade up for him and luckily other teams apparently bailed us out. The value on the trade down was poor as well. Rick needs to do better tonight.
I mostly agree with your except for Philly gifting us. I think Reagor can easily be as good or better than Jefferson.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Wish I could remember where I read it but the Vikings apparently liked Reagor a lot too and more than likely would have been the pick there unless they traded down.

I liked Aiyuk and Mims better myself
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pep2Moss wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm Wish I could remember where I read it but the Vikings apparently liked Reagor a lot too and more than likely would have been the pick there unless they traded down.

Those would have been fine choices also IMO. Wish we had 20/20 hindsight and knew that Mims would be available at 58. But in that case we might have taken Gladney 22 and Cleveland at 31.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm Wish I could remember where I read it but the Vikings apparently liked Reagor a lot too and more than likely would have been the pick there unless they traded down.

So if Jefferson and Reagor was both available at #22, who do you think they would have picked?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 pm

So if Jefferson and Reagor was both available at #22, who do you think they would have picked?
Vikings made it obvious they wanted Jefferson. However, Reagor could easily be better than Jefferson when all is said and done.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

It will definitely be interesting to see how this WR group unfolds in the next few years.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Jefferson. He was the guy the would have dealt up for.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 pm It will definitely be interesting to see how this WR group unfolds in the next few years.
Agreed. How do you guys think the slot shakes out in 3 WR sets?

2 WR sets I would go Jefferson and Adam

3 WR sets I would go Sharpe and Adam wide with Jefferson in the slot.

4 WR sets I would go Sharpe and Adam wide with Johnson and Jefferson in the slot.

I would be tempted to play Irv Smith Jr in the slot at times as well. Osborn and Davis project as slot only WR as well, with Hollins basically being our only other true wide guy. Wondering how it is all gonna shake out