Trade with 49ers ?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Trade with 49ers ?

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Congratulations Viking Lord, good call
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:01 am Well it happened just not the way it was expected :lol:
Yeah it did.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:30 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 pm I would be very surprised if Mims is not selected in the first round, I think Mims will be selected between from #20 to #32
I hope he is selected before pick 22
Well you got your wish we didn't pick him. The guy we did pick was the most productive WR in college football and the funny thing is I'm not very happy with it. I love his production, but I'm concerned he might just be a product of Burrows and the system.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:51 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:30 am

I hope he is selected before pick 22
Well you got your wish we didn't pick him. The guy we did pick was the most productive WR in college football and the funny thing is I'm not very happy with it. I love his production, but I'm concerned he might just be a product of Burrows and the system.
I understand that concern, but he had 900 yards and 6 TDs in 2018, BB (before Burrow).
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:36 am Congratulations Viking Lord, good call
My call on Mims isn't over yet. I predicted he would go closer to the 3rd than the 2nd, if not even in the early 3rd, so we'll see if I was right. If Mims' name is still on the board after the Jets pick in Round 2 (#48), then I was truly right.

As far as my "bet" with VikingsVictorious goes, though, I'm waiting for him to fulfill his part of the bet.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:47 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:36 am Congratulations Viking Lord, good call
My call on Mims isn't over yet. I predicted he would go closer to the 3rd than the 2nd, if not even in the early 3rd, so we'll see if I was right. If Mims' name is still on the board after the Jets pick in Round 2 (#48), then I was truly right.

As far as my "bet" with VikingsVictorious goes, though, I'm waiting for him to fulfill his part of the bet.
Thank you for the correction, it will be interesting to see if you are right tonight
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:51 am
I understand that concern, but he had 900 yards and 6 TDs in 2018, BB (before Burrow).
Right and for a FRP that isn't very productive. I'd be hopeful of over a thousand and 10 TDs.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:47 am

I acknowledged you winning the bet. I already said I wouldn't be very surprised if he fell out of the first. I still expect him to go before pick 16 today making me closer to right than you. :D :lol: :rock: :govikes:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 am

Right and for a FRP that isn't very productive. I'd be hopeful of over a thousand and 10 TDs.
LSU drastically changed their offense from 2018 to 2019, which explains their giant explosion in production.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/09/17/l ... ed-orgeron
To understand the significance of LSU’s recent offensive transformation, you must understand its checkered past. There were serious problems in the passing game, from scheme to personnel. LSU had six different starting quarterbacks in six seasons (2011–16), and up until last season it had not cracked the top 80 in passing since 2013, a season in which the Tigers had future NFL stars Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry. Even then, they finished 45th nationally in passing.
How LSU got from a notoriously outdated ground-based offense to this juggernaut is a winding journey with two essential events: the acquisition of a transfer quarterback from Ohio State, Joe Burrow, and a gutsy decision by Orgeron to hire a 29-year-old, low-level NFL staffer to overhaul an offense that was consistently winning double-digit games every year.
More at link, very worth the time.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:10 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm
LSU drastically changed their offense from 2018 to 2019, which explains their giant explosion in production.

To understand the significance of LSU’s recent offensive transformation, you must understand its checkered past. There were serious problems in the passing game, from scheme to personnel. LSU had six different starting quarterbacks in six seasons (2011–16), and up until last season it had not cracked the top 80 in passing since 2013, a season in which the Tigers had future NFL stars Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry. Even then, they finished 45th nationally in passing.
How LSU got from a notoriously outdated ground-based offense to this juggernaut is a winding journey with two essential events: the acquisition of a transfer quarterback from Ohio State, Joe Burrow, and a gutsy decision by Orgeron to hire a 29-year-old, low-level NFL staffer to overhaul an offense that was consistently winning double-digit games every year.
This is why I'm just a bit concerned that Jefferson might just be a product of the system.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:18 pm

This is why I'm just a bit concerned that Jefferson might just be a product of the system.
If he were a product of the system, he wouldn't have 900 yards in 2018. 900 yards in a (very) run first offense is nothing to scoff at. Stats need to be understood in context. Burrow certainly helped him flourish, but that's a symbiotic relationship. Jefferson also made Burrow succeed. I don't know about you, but I love the fact that Jefferson's played well in an NFL-like offense and NFL caliber QB. His tape shows a polished, mature WR ready for the NFL.

I also think it's good to recognize our limits, as mere fans, compared to Kubiak's knowledge of what he needs for his O and his ability to evaluate talent. IMO, Kubiak knows what he needs and he is very high on Jefferson. That has me excited.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:10 pm
If he were a product of the system, he wouldn't have 900 yards in 2018. 900 yards in a (very) run first offense is nothing to scoff at. Stats need to be understood in context. Burrow certainly helped him flourish, but that's a symbiotic relationship. Jefferson also made Burrow succeed. I don't know about you, but I love the fact that Jefferson's played well in an NFL-like offense and NFL caliber QB. His tape shows a polished, mature WR ready for the NFL.

I also think it's good to recognize our limits, as mere fans, compared to Kubiak's knowledge of what he needs for his O and his ability to evaluate talent. IMO, Kubiak knows what he needs and he is very high on Jefferson. That has me excited.
Which NFL teams run the spread?
I'm a bit concerned. I hope all my concerns prove to be unfounded. Most analysts have Jefferson as the 4th best WR. I had him 7th. He's probably a good choice. Maybe he's even a great choice.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The challenge for anyone trying to evaluate a given player's potential as a pro is to separate what they uniquely possess and how that affects their ceiling as a pro from what they contributed due to the college system and team they played for. For football that is quite a challenge because it is such a team game, and I think that is one reason why combine results play such a large role in draft evaluations. That is why a relatively unproductive college prospect like Troy Williamson can be selected 7th in a draft while more productive, but less physically gifted, receivers might go much later.

So the question about Jefferson is was his production just a product of the system?

The way I attempt to answer that is to look at what he individually did and does well. The first thing I looked at with him was how he handled the shift to more of a slot role after playing primarily wide for his first two seasons. Why I looked at that was to assess how adaptable and teachable he was, because a slot WR has a completely different route tree and is usually asked to catch more balls in traffic and across the middle. In Jefferson's case, he thrived in both roles IMHO, showing he could learn and perform at a high level either outside or inside.

The second thing I looked at was how he catches the ball, because not all WRs are created equal when it comes to bringing the ball in and securing it. Here too Jefferson does a great job. He has soft hands. He can reach out and pluck the ball - he doesn't need to have perfect body position nor does he need to have his body behind his hands to secure the ball. He's what I would call a pure receiver, tracking the ball well and effortlessly adjusting his body and hands to secure it. He won't have many drops in the pros as result.

The last thing I look at is effort and concentration. Here too Jefferson excels. I never saw him slack. Whether he was the primary receiver or a decoy or asked to block (even backside), his effort was consistent. There could be plays he took off that I didn't see, but he seemed to hold himself accountable on every snap and that attitude is what you want from every player on the field.

I don't think he's a system player at all. He may have some limitations (few don't), but I think he can and will be able to play whatever WR position the Vikes need him to play. I think he can and will earn the confidence of Cousins as a guy he can count on to make plays when Cousins looks his way. I think he can and will become a leader on the offensive side of the ball.

Now, when it comes to Mims...

(just kidding!) :whistle:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:51 pm
The challenge for anyone trying to evaluate a given player's potential as a pro is to separate what they uniquely possess and how that affects their ceiling as a pro from what they contributed due to the college system and team they played for. For football that is quite a challenge because it is such a team game, and I think that is one reason why combine results play such a large role in draft evaluations. That is why a relatively unproductive college prospect like Troy Williamson can be selected 7th in a draft while more productive, but less physically gifted, receivers might go much later.

So the question about Jefferson is was his production just a product of the system?

The way I attempt to answer that is to look at what he individually did and does well. The first thing I looked at with him was how he handled the shift to more of a slot role after playing primarily wide for his first two seasons. Why I looked at that was to assess how adaptable and teachable he was, because a slot WR has a completely different route tree and is usually asked to catch more balls in traffic and across the middle. In Jefferson's case, he thrived in both roles IMHO, showing he could learn and perform at a high level either outside or inside.

The second thing I looked at was how he catches the ball, because not all WRs are created equal when it comes to bringing the ball in and securing it. Here too Jefferson does a great job. He has soft hands. He can reach out and pluck the ball - he doesn't need to have perfect body position nor does he need to have his body behind his hands to secure the ball. He's what I would call a pure receiver, tracking the ball well and effortlessly adjusting his body and hands to secure it. He won't have many drops in the pros as result.

The last thing I look at is effort and concentration. Here too Jefferson excels. I never saw him slack. Whether he was the primary receiver or a decoy or asked to block (even backside), his effort was consistent. There could be plays he took off that I didn't see, but he seemed to hold himself accountable on every snap and that attitude is what you want from every player on the field.

I don't think he's a system player at all. He may have some limitations (few don't), but I think he can and will be able to play whatever WR position the Vikes need him to play. I think he can and will earn the confidence of Cousins as a guy he can count on to make plays when Cousins looks his way. I think he can and will become a leader on the offensive side of the ball.

Now, when it comes to Mims...

(just kidding!) :whistle:
So let it be Written
So let it be Done.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Congratulations Vikings Lord, you were right