Dalvin Cook

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

phantom
Backup

Re: Dalvin Cook

Post by phantom »

If your not getting 5 yards a run, it's time to go to the Pass.
The Northern Goshawk "phantom of the forest"
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

phantom wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:00 am In my opinion Cook is a very fast running back and can make some huge plays, but lacks any ability to brake tackles. When other teams see this (The Bears) they make him try to brake through the line and the Vikings spend all day trying to figure out why they can only run against bad run defenses, and can't run against good run defense. And take to long to go to the pass and get them off Cook, or Adrian Peterson in the Past. Someone is to stubborn in that organization. Try going to the pass when they are taking away the run. They are not keeping them honest. We have to many runs for short yardage which I believe is worse then an incompletion. 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Please tell me they did not pay Cousins 26 million to hand off the ball to Cook. We can get Ponder to that for less.
I believe Cook is quite proficient at Breaking tackles. You claim he is completely devoid of this. Anybody help with Cooks tackle breaking stats. Regarding needing 5 YPC or go to the pass I think that would eliminate 90% of the RBs in the league.

I checked the stats. Only 7 qualifying RBs met the 5 YPC threshold. Players missing that included Dalvin Cook, Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, LeVeon Bell etc....
You're proposal would eliminate them from rushing the ball.
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:42 pm
phantom wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:00 am In my opinion Cook is a very fast running back and can make some huge plays, but lacks any ability to brake tackles. When other teams see this (The Bears) they make him try to brake through the line and the Vikings spend all day trying to figure out why they can only run against bad run defenses, and can't run against good run defense. And take to long to go to the pass and get them off Cook, or Adrian Peterson in the Past. Someone is to stubborn in that organization. Try going to the pass when they are taking away the run. They are not keeping them honest. We have to many runs for short yardage which I believe is worse then an incompletion. 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Please tell me they did not pay Cousins 26 million to hand off the ball to Cook. We can get Ponder to that for less.
I believe Cook is quite proficient at Breaking tackles. You claim he is completely devoid of this. Anybody help with Cooks tackle breaking stats. Regarding needing 5 YPC or go to the pass I think that would eliminate 90% of the RBs in the league.

I checked the stats. Only 7 qualifying RBs met the 5 YPC threshold. Players missing that included Dalvin Cook, Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, LeVeon Bell etc....
Works for New England. They run the ball enough, but are predominantly a pass first team. Hard to argue against 9 Super Bowls with 6 wins. They say the NFL is a copy cat league, so maybe it time for the Vikings to stop living in the past.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

phantom wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:10 pm

Works for New England. They run the ball enough, but are predominantly a pass first team. Hard to argue against 9 Super Bowls with 6 wins. They say the NFL is a copy cat league, so maybe it time for the Vikings to stop living in the past.
New England didn't have any player this last year average 5 YPC or more. So your proposal doesn't work for them. I don't know if they had a player average 5YPC in any of their Super Bowl Years. They ran the ball anyway.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Yeah I’m not sure where the broken tackle thing is coming from. At one point last year, cook led the entire nfl in forcing missed tackles. So if anything, he was arguably the best in the nfl in that category
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:16 pm

New England didn't have any player this last year average 5 YPC or more. So your proposal doesn't work for them. I don't know if they had a player average 5YPC in any of their Super Bowl Years. They ran the ball anyway.
Like I said "They run the ball enough, but are predominantly a pass first team."
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

phantom wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Like I said "They run the ball enough, but are predominantly a pass first team."
Look at the History of the League. There a reason why teams in the Past did not give up many points. No forward pass, teams just sold out on the run because they did not have to worry about the field behind them
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I was taking you at your word. If they don't average 5 YPC go to the pass.

However, New England IIRC has been a quite balanced team between run and pass at least recently. Maybe in Brady's younger years they were pass heavy. This last year they never had a healthy RB so they were a bit pass heavy. In 2016 they were 5th most rush heavy and in 2017 they were 9th most run heavy. Most other years they were middle of the pack. I don't know if any team averaged over 5 YPC so every team should have been pass heavy I guess.
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:23 pm

However, New England IIRC has been a quite balanced team between run and pass at least recently. Maybe in Brady's younger years they were pass heavy. This last year they never had a healthy RB so they were a bit pass heavy. In 2016 they were 5th most rush heavy and in 2017 they were 9th most run heavy. Most other years they were middle of the pack. I don't know if any team averaged over 5 YPC so every team should have been pass heavy I guess.
5 yards is just an arbitrary number (around close to). I see the run as this, It's suppose to be a safe conservative play designed for ball control. and if I am not doing that I am throwing before the 10 min. mark in the 4th quarter down 3 TD's. Face it the Vikings can only run against the Duds not the Studs.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

phantom wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:13 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:23 pm

5 yards is just an arbitrary number (around close to). I see the run as this, It's suppose to be a safe conservative play designed for ball control. and if I am not doing that I am throwing before the 10 min. mark in the 4th quarter down 3 TD's. Face it the Vikings can only run against the Duds not the Studs.
So you were just throwing out some number and actually didn't believe what you were saying at all. You have a preference to pass more than run. Just about everybody feels the same. I do. After adding Williams and Ruiz the Vikings will be able to run against anybody, but we will still pass more than run.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 pm
So you were just throwing out some number and actually didn't believe what you were saying at all. You have a preference to pass more than run. Just about everybody feels the same. I do. After adding Williams and Ruiz the Vikings will be able to run against anybody, but we will still pass more than run.
I think you misunderstood his point. I don't agree with him, but I think he is saying that if you aren't able to be a (generally) 5 plus YPA running team, you are better off being a pass first team. I don't think he was saying that you literally shouldn't ever run the ball if you aren't able to run it for appx 5 yards per carry.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:44 pm
I think you misunderstood his point. I don't agree with him, but I think he is saying that if you aren't able to be a (generally) 5 plus YPA running team, you are better off being a pass first team. I don't think he was saying that you literally shouldn't ever run the ball if you aren't able to run it for appx 5 yards per carry.
I had that same general idea, but it wasn't what he said. I was trying to pin him down. He really said nothing other than teams should pass more than they run. I believe every team in the NFL last year passed more than they ran. So in effect he said nothing.
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

Sorry I did not specify I was giving a ball park figure. I do believe if you want to run the ball you should have a goal of getting the 1st down before you get to 3rd down.

If everybody could do what the Dolphins did to the Vikings in the Super Bowl, We would not be talking about QB's

Miami Dolphins
Net yards rushing 196
Rushing attempts 53
Yards per rush 3.7
Passing – Completions/attempts 6/7
Net yards passing 63

If Cook can do that I would be happy, and we win the Super Bowl. Frankly I don't care how they win the Super Bowl. I would like to see them win within the next 5 yrs.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

phantom wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 pm
Sorry I did not specify I was giving a ball park figure. I do believe if you want to run the ball you should have a goal of getting the 1st down before you get to 3rd down.

If everybody could do what the Dolphins did to the Vikings in the Super Bowl, We would not be talking about QB's

Miami Dolphins
Net yards rushing 196
Rushing attempts 53
Yards per rush 3.7
Net yards passing 63

If Cook can do that I would be happy, and we win the Super Bowl. Frankly I don't care how they win the Super Bowl. I would like to see them win within the next 5 yrs.
And the dolphins didn't even average 4 yards per carry.
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:35 pm
phantom wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Miami Dolphins
Net yards rushing 196
Rushing attempts 53
Yards per rush 3.7
Net yards passing 63

And the dolphins didn't even average 4 yards per carry.
is it exactly 90% or did you throw out a ball bark figure. It's an estimation. I sure most of them were over 4 yards thou. 3 TD's on the goal line 1 yard and 2 yard, and yes a 5 yard run. Because Csonka could do more consistently what Cook can't, brake tackles especially on the goal line. Some times you have to be your own blocker. If he is just getting yardage because of blocking. We can put anyone back there who has speed and quickness. Give a little more credit to the O Line. New England O Line does not get nearly enough credit for the amount of time they give Brady. I know it sounds repetitive but games are won and lost up front.