Trade with 49ers ?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Trade with 49ers ?

Post by IIsweet »

So Shefter reports that the 49ers are looking to trade down and accumulate picks. They have 13 and 31. Then nothing until the 5th round.
Just how many players do we need to add to our roster. Remember, we have to also release players afterwards at some point.
How do you feel about moving up to 13 (25,58,89) or adding 31 ?

Also, our 2 1st rd picks are equal in value to the 7th overall. Just throwing it out there.
Here is the NFL draft slot value chart.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... _value.htm
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Trade with 49ers ?

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Depends on who they want at 13 and what they would have to give up. I'd probably prefer to stay put.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:25 pm So Shefter reports that the 49ers are looking to trade down and accumulate picks. They have 13 and 31. Then nothing until the 5th round.
Just how many players do we need to add to our roster. Remember, we have to also release players afterwards at some point.

Also, our 2 1st rd picks are equal in value to the 7th overall. Just throwing it out there.
If I were going to trade picks with the 49ers, I'd want to trade up. The 25-59-89 deal for 13 would leave us with 13-22-105. Unfortunately nothing in the 2nd round, but if it meant having a chance at Tristan Wirfs or CeeDee Lamb or Javon Kinlaw, plus keep our pick at 22, I'd have to think about it, for sure.

Interesting proposition, and perhaps not out of the realm of possibility. I wouldn't put anything past Rick Spielman, who loves to wheel and deal on draft day.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 pm
IIsweet wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:25 pm So Shefter reports that the 49ers are looking to trade down and accumulate picks. They have 13 and 31. Then nothing until the 5th round.

If I were going to trade picks with the 49ers, I'd want to trade up. The 25-59-89 deal for 13 would leave us with 13-22-105. Unfortunately nothing in the 2nd round, but if it meant having a chance at Tristan Wirfs or CeeDee Lamb or Javon Kinlaw, plus keep our pick at 22, I'd have to think about it, for sure.

Interesting proposition, and perhaps not out of the realm of possibility. I wouldn't put anything past Rick Spielman, who loves to wheel and deal on draft day.
If Vikings want Lamb, they have to trade above Raiders, I think Lamb will be a Raider
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Open to it, but usually not a big fan of trading up unless its for a QB. There just aren't any 'sure things', and a trade up has to have such high upside to justify it. Normally, you only find that kind of upside in QB prospects, just because of the relative value of the position.

Ultimately, I'd rather slide back at 22 and 25 into the 2nd round, pick up extra mid round picks, then package picks to trade up a couple times to get a couple extra 2nd or 3rd rounders.

I think the main value in this draft is 2nd and 3rd round. We already have a 2nd and two 3rds. I'd like to have three 2nds, four 3rds, plus trade up with players/draft capital to get 8 or 9 picks in that range. There are high floor, quality guys in that range at myriad positions. The Vikings have a lot of holes to fill. Granted, other teams also know that is the rich part of the draft, so unlikely we'll find many trade partners.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I'd be happy to trade our 2 FRPs for their 2 FRPs.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:40 pm Open to it, but usually not a big fan of trading up unless its for a QB. There just aren't any 'sure things', and a trade up has to have such high upside to justify it. Normally, you only find that kind of upside in QB prospects, just because of the relative value of the position.

Ultimately, I'd rather slide back at 22 and 25 into the 2nd round, pick up extra mid round picks, then package picks to trade up a couple times to get a couple extra 2nd or 3rd rounders.

I think the main value in this draft is 2nd and 3rd round. We already have a 2nd and two 3rds. I'd like to have three 2nds, four 3rds, plus trade up with players/draft capital to get 8 or 9 picks in that range. There are high floor, quality guys in that range at myriad positions. The Vikings have a lot of holes to fill. Granted, other teams also know that is the rich part of the draft, so unlikely we'll find many trade partners.
https://youtu.be/2KgAilTTZnQ
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

When is the last time Vikings traded up in the first round? I can not really remember
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 pm

I would say it would almost be the same deal as Pittsburgh did last year. They went from pick 20 to pick 10 and it cost them their 1st, 2nd and then a 2020 3rd. I do that trade on a heartbeat with SF
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I wouldn't do a pure-pick trade pre-draft, so how I'd feel about them doing it depends on what they're giving up versus what they're getting not in terms of the picks per se, but in terms of the player(s) they leverage those picks to get.

It might be worth it if there is a unique talent at #13 that the Vikings covet and are convinced won't make it to them at #22.

Players who I could see still on the board at #13 that might fall into that category are one or both of Jeudy and Lamb, Becton, and Kinlaw. Maybe Wirfs will be there too, but I think he'll go earlier. All of those players could be worth a move up depending on what the Vikings would have to surrender to make the move.

I'd consider giving up #22 and the 2nd round pick. That comes up just under the value of the 13th pick in the first round according to that chart, but it's close enough and still favors the Vikings. I doubt San Fran would go for that deal, but they'd retain 2 picks in the 1st and get a 2nd rounder.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:47 pm When is the last time Vikings traded up in the first round? I can not really remember
Bridgewater?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

S197 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:31 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:47 pm When is the last time Vikings traded up in the first round? I can not really remember
Bridgewater?
and Patterson.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Bridgewater?
They also traded back to the first for CPatt

What an athlete he was, just not a prototypical WR
But SOOOO dangerous once he had the ball in his hands ...
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Bridgewater?
Thank you, I forgot about that, it is a shame about Bridgewater's knee injury, I wish he worked out
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Bridgewater?
They also traded back to the first for CPatt

What an athlete he was, just not a prototypical WR
But SOOOO dangerous once he had the ball in his hands ...
He was an awesome kick returner, too bad he only played for 3 years with Vikings but I was very happy for him when he got a ring with the Patriots but now he is on the Bears now so I have to root against him, yuck!