2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Ummm :shock: :shock: I’m all for it!
Free agent DE Everson Griffen said, "Never say never" on a return to the Vikings.
Griffen is probably the No. 2 free agent DE on the market behind only Jadeveon Clowney. He's seemingly confused at the lack of interest thus far, noting, "This process, for me, has taken a lot of patience, a lot of self-reflection, too ... It's like, why haven't (more) teams been interested? And the reason why is because they don't know Everson." Griffen went on to explain his personal problems outside of football in 2018 before adding, "I'm a hundred percent positive that 2019 was just a glimpse of what I still have left in the tank." Of course, Griffen was fantastic last season, racking up 66 pressures and formed one of the league's most-fearsome duos among edge rushers alongside Danielle Hunter.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:45 pm Ummm :shock: :shock: I’m all for it!
Free agent DE Everson Griffen said, "Never say never" on a return to the Vikings.
Griffen is probably the No. 2 free agent DE on the market behind only Jadeveon Clowney. He's seemingly confused at the lack of interest thus far, noting, "This process, for me, has taken a lot of patience, a lot of self-reflection, too ... It's like, why haven't (more) teams been interested? And the reason why is because they don't know Everson." Griffen went on to explain his personal problems outside of football in 2018 before adding, "I'm a hundred percent positive that 2019 was just a glimpse of what I still have left in the tank." Of course, Griffen was fantastic last season, racking up 66 pressures and formed one of the league's most-fearsome duos among edge rushers alongside Danielle Hunter.
Do not hold your breath on it
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:45 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:45 pm Ummm :shock: :shock: I’m all for it!

I'm totally not holding my breath, but I'm all for it too on a reasonable deal.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:45 pm

I’m not but I’m starting to think griff realizes that he wasn’t as wanted as he thought. But reading into this, some have said the main reason is teams don’t know griffen. Everyone that’s inquired about him has asked about the 2018 debacle. Everyone is worried about him. We, however, are not. He could very well find his way back here. I think that’s why he made that statement
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Considering the addition of Pierce on top of Everson possibly coming back as well as an Epenesa or Gross-Matos in the 1st, you're suddenly looking at not just a good defensive line, but a Championship Dline similar to Philly's from their SB season. So many rotations available there with all that depth it would actually make a lot of sense given what will be a somewhat inexperienced secondary. It would definitely help Hughes and Hill or whomever they decide to go with (quite possibly another rookie).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:20 pm Considering the addition of Pierce on top of Everson possibly coming back as well as an Epenesa or Gross-Matos in the 1st, you're suddenly looking at not just a good defensive line, but a Championship Dline similar to Philly's from their SB season. So many rotations available there with all that depth it would actually make a lot of sense given what will be a somewhat inexperienced secondary. It would definitely help Hughes and Hill or whomever they decide to go with (quite possibly another rookie).
Yeah that would be an elite DL. Not an Epenesa fan but I'm picking up what you're putting down.

One offseason hero nobody is talking about: Hercules Mata'afa.

Just saw he tweeted the other day a picture of him on a scale weighing in at 289. His playing weight last year was in the 250's. He's been a workout warrior this offseason and could be a huge bonus come season time.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Everson Griffen unlikely to return, but door is still cracked open.

The St. Paul Pioneer-Press confirms free agent DE Everson Griffen could still end up re-signing with the Vikings.
Reporter Chris Tomasson's feel is that Griffen's market is being held up by the coronavirus to an unusual degree, as potential new teams would probably like to meet with Griffen more than other free agents because of the mental health issues he dealt with in 2018. Griffen had no issues in 2019 as he rung up eight sacks in 15 games. He has spent his entire 10-year career in Minnesota. Tomasson believes his return odds depend on what the Vikes do in the draft.

RELATED: Minnesota Vikings
SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter
Apr 21, 2020, 5:21 PM ET
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

He's not a Viking but I thought you all might like to know.

Yep it's official.

Bucs acquired TE Rob Gronkowski from the Patriots in exchange for a fourth-round pick.
The Pats are also sending a seventh-rounder Tampa Bay's way. FOX's Jay Glazer reports the soon-to-be 31-year-old has already taken a physical. We learned of Gronk's official desire to return less than an hour ago, but the longtime Pat had never closed the door on coming back. After a decade of injuries in New England, Gronk looked many steps slower in 2018, but he still managed a 47/682/3 line in 13 games before going 12/166 between the AFC Championship Game and Super Bowl. His 15.1 yards per reception lead all active tight ends with at least 100 career catches. The ultimate security blanket for Tom Brady, Gronk should be refreshed after his year off. Even if O.J. Howard isn't traded, Gronk will be in the TE1 mix, though he will not ascend to his usual heights with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin around to gobble up targets.

RELATED: New England Patriots
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Apr 21, 2020, 4:25 PM ET

The Patriots get a 4th round pick for a retired player.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I'm hoping Griffen and the Vikings find a way to bring him back for one last hurrah. I think Minnesota did very well this draft, but the void I feel that is left is great depth and rotation on the defensive line. I'd feel more comfortable with Griff and his ability to get 8 sacks or so then putting heavy reliance on so many young players.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 am I'm hoping Griffen and the Vikings find a way to bring him back for one last hurrah. I think Minnesota did very well this draft, but the void I feel that is left is great depth and rotation on the defensive line. I'd feel more comfortable with Griff and his ability to get 8 sacks or so then putting heavy reliance on so many young players.
I agree. I'd like to see Kline back too. They have to be willing to accept marginal deals for it to happen though and Kline was already cheap. I like Odenogbo and think he can be good but I'm not willing to put all my eggs in that basket and then when it fails Hunter gets triple teamed.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Definitely. There's always the chance one of these unproven or hopefuls really step up, but I think Hunter is on the verge of a monster career season of 15+ sacks and Griffen has more in the tank, so even if you keep him merely rotational, I think it helps immensely.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 am Definitely. There's always the chance one of these unproven or hopefuls really step up, but I think Hunter is on the verge of a monster career season of 15+ sacks and Griffen has more in the tank, so even if you keep him merely rotational, I think it helps immensely.
Yep, ideally Griffen and Odenigbo would split snaps. Maybe Griffen could kick inside on 3rd down and get Pierce off the field.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 am Definitely. There's always the chance one of these unproven or hopefuls really step up, but I think Hunter is on the verge of a monster career season of 15+ sacks and Griffen has more in the tank, so even if you keep him merely rotational, I think it helps immensely.
I think its mutually beneficial all the way around if he comes back as a rotational player. He nearly always wears down as the season goes along, and I'd like to have young guys pick up some of the snaps and development opportunities as well. Keeping Griffin fresh is a very appealing option.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Field Yates
@FieldYates
·
4h
Something to keep an eye on: any free agent signed after 4 PM EST today will not count towards the 2021 compensatory draft pick calculation. That could help create a market for the remaining unsigned players.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:55 am

Field Yates
@FieldYates
·
4h
Something to keep an eye on: any free agent signed after 4 PM EST today will not count towards the 2021 compensatory draft pick calculation. That could help create a market for the remaining unsigned players.
It will greatly enhance the value of those players. What about Harris. If we rescind his tag we no longer get compensation for him?