2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:13 am Why are there no contract details for Zettel yet. Has he not signed his contract?
All the recent handful of FA signings have been 1 year 1 million, which I would say places those players on the roster bubble. I'm guessing that includes Zettel, though I haven't seen any numbers either.
I'm expecting Zettel and Sharpe to both stick, but not play very much. The XFL guy camp fodder.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 am

All the recent handful of FA signings have been 1 year 1 million, which I would say places those players on the roster bubble. I'm guessing that includes Zettel, though I haven't seen any numbers either.
I'm expecting Zettel and Sharpe to both stick, but not play very much. The XFL guy camp fodder.
If they go 3-4 he has a chance. I'm not sure they have a single 3-4 inside LB on the roster at this point. Fortunately, a lot of those guys are available late in the draft.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:40 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 pm
If they go 3-4 he has a chance. I'm not sure they have a single 3-4 inside LB on the roster at this point. Fortunately, a lot of those guys are available late in the draft.
Yeah, I've heard rumblings of the Vikings playing some 3-4, but I also wonder about Kendricks and Wilson as ILBs. Ideally you want a guy with size and strength because they have to take on guards in the running game who would normally be occupied against a 4-3. They're both undersized for the position, although you typically want a bigger, stronger guy in the middle for a 4-3, and Kendricks has done just fine there.

We'd be set at outside linebacker with Barr and Hunter. Barr was a 3-4 OLB in college and has, in my opinion, been a fish out of water in the NFL. Those two guys rushing the passer would cause a lot of problems. But I'm worried we'd get gashed in the running game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am
fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:40 am

Yeah, I've heard rumblings of the Vikings playing some 3-4, but I also wonder about Kendricks and Wilson as ILBs. Ideally you want a guy with size and strength because they have to take on guards in the running game who would normally be occupied against a 4-3. They're both undersized for the position, although you typically want a bigger, stronger guy in the middle for a 4-3, and Kendricks has done just fine there.

We'd be set at outside linebacker with Barr and Hunter. Barr was a 3-4 OLB in college and has, in my opinion, been a fish out of water in the NFL. Those two guys rushing the passer would cause a lot of problems. But I'm worried we'd get gashed in the running game.
Hunter could be a great 3-4 end, and I'd envision him staying at DE, with Barr and Kendricks at OLB. I really don't think Kendricks would be well suited to playing inside in a 3-4, and Wilson would have no shot. I think Kendricks is a little bit out of position as a MLB in a 4-3 to be honest, and our run defense has occasionally suffered for it.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:25 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am

Hunter could be a great 3-4 end, and I'd envision him staying at DE, with Barr and Kendricks at OLB. I really don't think Kendricks would be well suited to playing inside in a 3-4, and Wilson would have no shot. I think Kendricks is a little bit out of position as a MLB in a 4-3 to be honest, and our run defense has occasionally suffered for it.
We’ll disagree on Kendricks vs. Hunter as an OLB. In a 3-4, the OLBs are the main pass rushers, and that’s not Kendricks. Meanwhile, it would be a waste to use Hunter as a 3-4 DE.

But we agree on the main point. It doesn’t seem like the Vikings have the personnel to play 3-4, despite the rumblings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I saw Everson wants to be a Seahawk which would suck but it is funny Seahawks has been signing former Vikings players ever since Vikings stole Hutchinson from Seahawks
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 pm

We’ll disagree on Kendricks vs. Hunter as an OLB. In a 3-4, the OLBs are the main pass rushers, and that’s not Kendricks. Meanwhile, it would be a waste to use Hunter as a 3-4 DE.

But we agree on the main point. It doesn’t seem like the Vikings have the personnel to play 3-4, despite the rumblings.
I would hate to see the team turn Hunter into a 3-4 OLB. He's a stud where he is. Don't mess with success. 4-3 Is the way to go. Hopefully Capers can help utilize Barr better out of that alignment. You can also get creative with Nickel packages.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 am

I would hate to see the team turn Hunter into a 3-4 OLB. He's a stud where he is. Don't mess with success. 4-3 Is the way to go. Hopefully Capers can help utilize Barr better out of that alignment. You can also get creative with Nickel packages.
Ahh, Capers, I hated the signing, why do Vikings always pick up former Packers players and coaches that are past their prime? :wallbang:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I think there is a pretty good chance they will start doing some 3-4, at least in spells. That defense needs to find a way to get out react mode, start taking advantage of the versatility of some of the guys on that side of the ball, especially Harrison, Barr, Kendricks, and Hunter.

The LB they just signed from the XFL led the league in tackles as a 3-4 ILB. I'm not saying he'll even make the team, but they need some depth to compete for that 3-4 ILB if they're gonna do this. I do think it is at least a wrinkle that we'll start to see this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The guys at Daily Norseman wrote a solid article on Holton Hill recently that deserves some discussion here. Here's an excerpt:
Holton Hill has played reasonably well in his half-season worth of snaps so far, and better than Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes. The change in the CBA regarding marijuana use lifts a cloud surrounding Hill and possible future suspensions, although he needs to stay clean of PEDs as well.

Even with a top draft pick used on a cornerback this year, Hill still looks in line for a starting job on the outside this season - and could prove to be an upgrade over long-time starters Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes, who’ve either seen their performance drop in recent years, or seem to have plateaued around average among league cornerbacks.
And the link to the article: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/31 ... olton-hill

I found Zimmer's quote on his character concerns really interesting. That combined with the change in the CBA concerning Hill's favorite recreational inhalant made me think that maybe we WILL roll with Hill as a starting CB on the outside. This would make CB less of a glaring hole that needs to be filled in 3 weeks via the draft (can't wait for the draft, BTW, more so than most years given this enclosure!)
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:15 am

I think there is a pretty good chance they will start doing some 3-4, at least in spells. That defense needs to find a way to get out react mode, start taking advantage of the versatility of some of the guys on that side of the ball, especially Harrison, Barr, Kendricks, and Hunter.

The LB they just signed from the XFL led the league in tackles as a 3-4 ILB. I'm not saying he'll even make the team, but they need some depth to compete for that 3-4 ILB if they're gonna do this. I do think it is at least a wrinkle that we'll start to see this year.
I do, too, and I’m glad to see someone agree with me on this point. I think one of Zimmer’s strengths is that he’s not intimidated by having former head coaches on his staff. From Norv to Sparano to Shurmur to Kubiak and now Capers, he seems to value the experience and varied viewpoints of these guys. There has to be a reason he chose Dom Capers, who learned the mother of all 3-4 defenses under Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh. It very well could be that we see some 3-4 as a wrinkle this year, as you say.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 am The guys at Daily Norseman wrote a solid article on Holton Hill recently that deserves some discussion here. Here's an excerpt:
Holton Hill has played reasonably well in his half-season worth of snaps so far, and better than Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes. The change in the CBA regarding marijuana use lifts a cloud surrounding Hill and possible future suspensions, although he needs to stay clean of PEDs as well.

Even with a top draft pick used on a cornerback this year, Hill still looks in line for a starting job on the outside this season - and could prove to be an upgrade over long-time starters Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes, who’ve either seen their performance drop in recent years, or seem to have plateaued around average among league cornerbacks.
And the link to the article: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/31 ... olton-hill

I found Zimmer's quote on his character concerns really interesting. That combined with the change in the CBA concerning Hill's favorite recreational inhalant made me think that maybe we WILL roll with Hill as a starting CB on the outside. This would make CB less of a glaring hole that needs to be filled in 3 weeks via the draft (can't wait for the draft, BTW, more so than most years given this enclosure!)
Wulford has been known to put lipstick on a pig and call it Pamela Anderson, and I think this is one of those times.

Hill will be okay at times, terrible at others. He is not a shutdown corner by any means, but he is also not completely in over his head when he plays. If he is starting on the outside and our pass rush does not seriously improve, we will be an average pass defense once again, but probably worse against the run on plays to the outside (I have not liked Hill in run defense at all and Waynes was very good in that respect).

I will say that it was a bad sign that Sendejo replaced Mack at nickle and not Hill in the playoffs.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

What will they be doing with Hughes?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:58 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 am The guys at Daily Norseman wrote a solid article on Holton Hill recently that deserves some discussion here. Here's an excerpt:

Wulford has been known to put lipstick on a pig and call it Pamela Anderson, and I think this is one of those times.

Hill will be okay at times, terrible at others. He is not a shutdown corner by any means, but he is also not completely in over his head when he plays. If he is starting on the outside and our pass rush does not seriously improve, we will be an average pass defense once again, but probably worse against the run on plays to the outside (I have not liked Hill in run defense at all and Waynes was very good in that respect).

I will say that it was a bad sign that Sendejo replaced Mack at nickle and not Hill in the playoffs.
Did you read the article? Wulford doesn't argue that Hill is/ will be a shutdown corner, but rather that Zimmer might be comfortable with rolling with him as starter this season and therefore we might not need to devote as much draft capital to the position as a lot of us here have been thinking.

I personally think we'll still devote one of our top 3 picks to the position, but we'll see.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:58 am

Did you read the article? Wulford doesn't argue that Hill is/ will be a shutdown corner, but rather that Zimmer might be comfortable with rolling with him as starter this season and therefore we might not need to devote as much draft capital to the position as a lot of us here have been thinking.

I personally think we'll still devote one of our top 3 picks to the position, but we'll see.
Zimmer has spoken positively about Boyd in the past as well. I won't be surprised if week 1 we have Hill, Boyd, and Hughes as our starting 3, especially given how reticent Zimmer is to start rookies early.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins