AJ Epenesa

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: AJ Epenesa

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:07 am
Smoot27 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm I disagree. I think Epenesa is far more flexible than Gross Matos and can play more DL positions.

He was a great edge rusher but his season PFF grade against the run was superb.

I think he had something like 14 tackles vs Nebraska and he destroyed a potential 1st round pick in Austin Jackson.

PFF is now agreeing with my pick.

"Pro Football Focus believes Epenesa is a fantastic fit for the Vikings defense and Minnesota could snag him in the first round."
This is very subjective and I admit that, so I'll try to base my statements on something a little more objective using the player profiles at the Walterfootball site - https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020DE.php

That site ranks Matos in front of Epenesa, although to be honest it states neither player really did well at the combine. But I think a few things jumped out at me in reading those profiles.

For Matos, he was played all over the DL this season at Penn. When he played in a classic DE the prior season, he racked up some big numbers.

For Epenesa, he did rack up some impressive performances this year. If he had just done better at the Combine he'd be easily going in the top half of the 1st. But he ran a really slow 40 (a plus 5), and while he certainly can be an impact player, it would have been nice to see more evidence of consistency over his college career. Maybe he's a late bloomer and someone is going to get a steal in the 2nd.

If the Vikings take Epenesa I won't be upset. I am just not convinced he's going to be a consistent impact player at the pro level. To be fair I'm not convinced Matos will either, but of the two I think it's slightly more likely Matos can become that player.
I tend to agree, VL.

I'm from Iowa and saw most of the Hawks' games. Epenesa was really good, but also an enigma. He'd have good games, then disappear. With Epenesa, it's not an effort thing. He's a hard-working player. But he would just sort of vanish. He had about four games where he had 0 or 1 tackle and no sacks. Other games, he'd get a sack, but late in the game when it was out of reach. You kept expecting him to explode, to dominate, especially against certain teams, and he just didn't.

I don't think a first-round grade is too high for Epenesa, but probably late first. I think he'll be a good pro with some limitations. Given the Vikings' other needs -- CB, OL and now WR -- it doesn't feel like a good pick at either 22 or 25. That's just me, and I admit it's mostly my own gut feel. But I'll say I wasn't surprised that he underperformed at the combine.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I don't think I like Epenesa enough to use a first on him. He's been productive and was a balanced college player but I'm not that confident he will be good enough in the pros to justify a 1st round pick. He lacks twitch/speed as evidence by the 5.00 40 and is too small to be converted to DT. I'm leaning offensive lineman and WR in the first.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Smoot27
Waterboy

Post by Smoot27 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

New ESPN mock.

Epenesa and Denzel Mims.

I like it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Smoot27 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:29 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

New ESPN mock.

Epenesa and Denzel Mims.

I like it.
I'm starting to like Mims, but I think I'm biased because of all the people thinking he won't be any good because of the school he comes from. I'm not in favor of using one of our FRPs on Epenesa.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

If when we pick at 22 or 25, a WR happens to be at the top of our board, I am fine with it

I really hope we don’t reach for a WR to fill and need and especially because Rick feels pressure to replace Diggs with that pick- see Troy Williamson

Also as others have pointed out this O has heavy emphasis on the running game and our OL needs A LOT of help.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 am If when we pick at 22 or 25, a WR happens to be at the top of our board, I am fine with it

I really hope we don’t reach for a WR to fill and need and especially because Rick feels pressure to replace Diggs with that pick- see Troy Williamson

Also as others have pointed out this O has heavy emphasis on the running game and our OL needs A LOT of help.
There will be a WR that isn't a reach when we pick. One of Jefferson or Mims will be available. That said and despite how much I want us to go after WRs very aggressively I think if Fulton or Henderson is there we have to take one. The talent pool at CB thins out much faster than the WR pool. I want Claypool in the 2nd.