The Draft Man Crush Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The Draft Man Crush Thread

Post by fiestavike »

Zack Moss, RB. If we could get him in the 3rd I'd be excited.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Amik Robertson, CB. One of my favorites so far this year. Brings a tenacity and attitude the Vikings are sorely in need of.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The more I watch Justin Herbert, the more I like him. I think its a possibility that the Vikings trade up to 4 to get him. 22, 25, and a 3rd rounder probably gets them there. Give him a year as we transition to a 3-4 and build up the offensive line, then you have 4 years with a rookie QB contract to try to build a championship roster.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am The more I watch Justin Herbert, the more I like him. I think its a possibility that the Vikings trade up to 4 to get him. 22, 25, and a 3rd rounder probably gets them there. Give him a year as we transition to a 3-4 and build up the offensive line, then you have 4 years with a rookie QB contract to try to build a championship roster.
There is zero chance it happens, I think Herbert will be a Charger to replace Rivers
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 am Zack Moss, RB. If we could get him in the 3rd I'd be excited.
Why would Vikings need another running back? Vikings have Cook, Mattison, and Boone which is a good group of running backs
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 am Zack Moss, RB. If we could get him in the 3rd I'd be excited.
Why would Vikings need another running back? Vikings have Cook, Mattison, and Boone which is a good group of running backs
Boone stinks, and Cook may not be a Vikings in the near future and you may not want to pay him 10 million a year (too much for a RB). And you shouldn't just draft for need.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:43 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am The more I watch Justin Herbert, the more I like him. I think its a possibility that the Vikings trade up to 4 to get him. 22, 25, and a 3rd rounder probably gets them there. Give him a year as we transition to a 3-4 and build up the offensive line, then you have 4 years with a rookie QB contract to try to build a championship roster.
There is zero chance it happens, I think Herbert will be a Charger to replace Rivers
Perhaps, but they'd have to trade up to make that happen if the Vikings can work something out with the Giants for the #4 pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 am

Boone stinks, and Cook may not be a Vikings in the near future and you may not want to pay him 10 million a year (too much for a RB). And you shouldn't just draft for need.
There is a rumor that Vikings are talking to Cook about an extension so we will see but yeah, I do agree that Vikings should not give Cook 10 million a year since he has not played a full season yet, as for Boone, he just did not get much playing time since he is the 3rd running back but if Vikings do release Boone then yeah, then draft Moss to make you happy
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:55 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:43 am

Perhaps, but they'd have to trade up to make that happen if the Vikings can work something out with the Giants for the #4 pick.
Has the Giants talked about trading down? I have not seen anything on that
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 am

There is a rumor that Vikings are talking to Cook about an extension so we will see but yeah, I do agree that Vikings should not give Cook 10 million a year since he has not played a full season yet, as for Boone, he just did not get much playing time since he is the 3rd running back but if Vikings do release Boone then yeah, then draft Moss to make you happy
I could live with 8 Million a year for Cook, but IMO no way he accepts that.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am

I could live with 8 Million a year for Cook, but IMO no way he accepts that.
I agree
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am

There are plenty that haven’t translated well to the nfl
Were any of them that didn't translate well to the NFL Mims?
Sometimes it’s system related. For example, very few quarterbacks under Mike Leach succeed in the NFL. That doesn’t explain the ling history of Baylor flameouts, but I think that’s what PHP is talking about with players who don’t translate well.

Look, I like what I see of Mims on tape. He’s not perfect. His route tree is limited, and while he’s fast, he’s not particularly good after the catch. Still, you can teach route running ... you can’t teach 6-3 and 4.38. Or his ability to adjust to the ball or make circus catches along the sideline.

Interesting prospect.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 am
Were any of them that didn't translate well to the NFL Mims?
Sometimes it’s system related. For example, very few quarterbacks under Mike Leach succeed in the NFL. That doesn’t explain the ling history of Baylor flameouts, but I think that’s what PHP is talking about with players who don’t translate well.

Look, I like what I see of Mims on tape. He’s not perfect. His route tree is limited, and while he’s fast, he’s not particularly good after the catch. Still, you can teach route running ... you can’t teach 6-3 and 4.38. Or his ability to adjust to the ball or make circus catches along the sideline.

Interesting prospect.
My point is every prospect should be rated on their own merit. Not because of a history from the school. If Mims has learned bad habits or lacks good training from the system they should show up when evaluating him.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Interesting prospect.
My point is every prospect should be rated on their own merit. Not because of a history from the school. If Mims has learned bad habits or lacks good training from the system they should show up when evaluating him.
Of course. Not arguing it.

But isn't it weird? A school like Baylor ... Power 5, Big 12, used to be the old SWC with some pretty powerful competition like Texas and Oklahoma and Arkansas ... yet almost nobody of note in the NFL. They've had a ton of players go to the league, but almost nobody recognizable. It's just strange.

But yeah, when I watch tape of Denzel Mims, some things really pop off the screen. One in particular is his his ability to catch the ball along the sideline. Big, big catch radius, and he makes grabs where his body just shouldn't be able to adjust the way he makes it adjust. In a lot of cases, it's the direct result of poor throws where he's able to cover up his QB's inadequacies. I'd be curious to see advanced stats on what percentage of throws his way were on target. I'd guess it's less than average.

I haven't seen many mocks where the Vikings take Mims, but how many mocks ever get it right, anyway?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Here is who I would like the Vikings to consider (realistically) drafting in the upcoming draft. I have to investigate a lot of these players a bit more personally, but I believe most everyone listed would easily fit the offensive and defensive systems we want to incorporate:
- Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
- Austin Jackson, OT, USC
- Trey Adams, OT, Washington
- Ezra Cleveland, OT/OG, Boise State
- Ben Bartch, OT/OG, St. John's
- Ceasar Ruiz, C/G, Michigan
-Tyler Biadiaz, C/G, Wisconsin
- Ben Bredeson, G, Michigan
- Collin Johnson, WR, Texas
- Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota
- Quez Watkins, WR, Southern Miss. State
-Tyrie Cleveland, WR, Florida
- Anthony Gordon, QB, Washington State
- Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
- Cole McDonald, QB, Hawaii
- Nate Stanley, QB, Iowa
- Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State
- A.J. Epensa, DE, Iowa
- Darrell Taylor, DE, Tenneesee
- Chauncey Rivers, DE, Youngstown
- Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
- Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M
- Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma
- Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama
- Antonine Winfield Jr., S/Slot, Minnesota
- Ashtyn Davis, S, California
- Geno Stone, S, Iowa
- J.R. Reed, S, Georgia
- Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU
- Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
- Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State
- Bryce Hall, CB, Virgina
- Michael Ojemudia, CB, Iowa
- Lavert Hill, CB, Michigan
- Damon Arnete, CB, Ohio State
- Luq Barcoo, CB, San Diego State
- Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.