Vikings Sign WR- Tajae Sharpe

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings Sign WR- Tajae Sharpe

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 am
What I have against him is first of all he sucks. Other than that because he started his career strong then completely fell off a cliff. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting zero good out of this signing.
What sucked is his QB play. His best year just so happened to be Mariotas best year. 26 tds and 9 ints. The following year Mariota threw 13 td passes and 15 ints. Then followed it up with 11 tds the following year. Not sure how you can produce when your QB is one of the worst passers in the nfl. I think sharpe will he just fine as a #3 when he actually has a QB that can throw the ball
I hope you're right.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:31 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:28 am

Idk why you think we wouldn’t draft a WR because of this move. That’s just downright dumb if they do that. No less, sharpe is only on a 1 year deal
Good point. However, as Cliff noted I want us to draft 2WRs from this crop possibly a 3rd with a late pick. Considering the one year deal you pointed out I remain reasonably confident that we will select at least two WRs from this years draft and I hope those are from our first five picks.
When I say 'upside', I just mean there is a chance he can be significantly better than his production to date has indicated. Its a longshot. Generally, FA acquisitions are all longer shots than we often recognize, even the high profile ones. I like taking longshots, especially if the contract makes it low risk, or the floor is high enough to make it low risk, or the draft capital expended is not terribly valuable, making it low risk.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think he has been hindered by poor QB play as others have said. Seems to be a sharp route runner with the ability to make contested catches. A good signing imo.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:35 pm I think he has been hindered by poor QB play as others have said. Seems to be a sharp route runner with the ability to make contested catches. A good signing imo.
Yeah and he was also 7th in catch rate last year when targeted. Passer rating when targeted ranks 10th. And that’s all with crap passing QBs
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:35 pm I think he has been hindered by poor QB play as others have said. Seems to be a sharp route runner with the ability to make contested catches. A good signing imo.
OK signing if it's vet minimum and very little guaranteed money.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm
Yeah and he was also 7th in catch rate last year when targeted. Passer rating when targeted ranks 10th. And that’s all with crap passing QBs
That's interesting. You're starting to thaw me towards him.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

It is only a 1 year deal which I am fine with, will he be the 3rd receiver or is that Bisi?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm It is only a 1 year deal which I am fine with, will he be the 3rd receiver or is that Bisi?
Time will tell. Wish we had the contract numbers. Wonder if there is guaranteed money. Incentives.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm It is only a 1 year deal which I am fine with, will he be the 3rd receiver or is that Bisi?
Time will tell. Wish we had the contract numbers. Wonder if there is guaranteed money. Incentives.
Yeah, I am curious to see the contract numbers
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

This list didn't have Sharp in the top 100 free agents.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-bes ... ts-in-2020
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
It's a one-year, $1 million deal of which $675,000 is guaranteed, including a $175K signing bonus. Max $1.5M with incentive. Solid deal for Tajae Sharpe in a tough WR marketplace and low-risk addition for the #Vikings. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1242835418963468296
[/quote]

It could be worse, but I hate all the guaranteed money. what if he is beaten out by our two or possibly 3 WR draft picks along with Thielen, Bisi and whoever. We would then be paying him for nothing.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:43 pm Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
It's a one-year, $1 million deal of which $675,000 is guaranteed, including a $175K signing bonus. Max $1.5M with incentive. Solid deal for Tajae Sharpe in a tough WR marketplace and low-risk addition for the #Vikings. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1242835418963468296

It could be worse, but I hate all the guaranteed money. what if he is beaten out by our two or possibly 3 WR draft picks along with Thielen, Bisi and whoever. We would then be paying him for nothing.
[/quote]

I think that is a contract of a guy who will compete to make the team, not be the #3.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Sharpe has + size at 6'2. He is also an excellent route runner. He is not great in anyone one metric but he is a decent WR. He has the ability to be a solid number 2. For the price the Vikes got him for, it is a steal. He won't blow the doors off anyone but he can easily end up being an 800 yards guy if he stays healthy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:45 pm Sharpe has + size at 6'2. He is also an excellent route runner. He is not great in anyone one metric but he is a decent WR. He has the ability to be a solid number 2. For the price the Vikes got him for, it is a steal. He won't blow the doors off anyone but he can easily end up being an 800 yards guy if he stays healthy.
If he gets 800 yards this season I will praise your judgment. If he doesn't I will do the opposite. :shock:
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:45 pm Sharpe has + size at 6'2. He is also an excellent route runner. He is not great in anyone one metric but he is a decent WR. He has the ability to be a solid number 2. For the price the Vikes got him for, it is a steal. He won't blow the doors off anyone but he can easily end up being an 800 yards guy if he stays healthy.
If he gets 800 yards this season I will praise your judgment. If he doesn't I will do the opposite. :shock:
The ability to do something and actually doing it are two different things.