2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:43 am
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:47 am

There was a shining light in that draft though, and that was the Willie Beavers pick.
Not because he ended up being a good pick, but the announcement of his name and then the Bears pick made Eisen, Mayock, Jeremiah and Davis to create what has become my funniest draft day moment ever.
Anyone here remember it? On day 3, Esien catching up on picks and he said Minnesota just drafted Willie Beavers ,Tackle. Then Mayock said " I've always been a Beavers guy Rich" . You could here them all snickering.
Then they had a Chicago fan come up and announce the pick. "The Bears select Deion Bush" then u could hear Eisen mutter Oh no and you could hear laughter. They cut to them and Mayock said " Bush first caught my eye at the East West Shrine game " and that was the end of it. Eisen , Jeremiah and Davis were losing it, especially Eisen. He was laughing so hard he was crying. You could hear the producer off stage say cut to commercial cuz they couldn't keep it together.
When they came back Eisen said " If the Colts pick a guy named Johnson we are going off the air"
It was so funny watching them looking like 4 high school kids losing it over the Beavers statement and then the Bush reference.
I still have it on my phone, and I had it on my DVR that was all NFL stuff, but it ended up dying so I lost that .
It was some great draft footage for sure.
Other than that, for the Vikes yes it was a bad draft
How refreshing, honestly, to get to see that frankly unprofessional/ unpolished/ non-PC but 'real' dialogue on national TV. That almost NEVER happens nowadays, and I have to think that the mind-numbing quality of late round draft coverage got them when their energies were dipping, so the veneer of professionalism was worn thin, and they let us see behind that mask. Good stuff.
Oh it definitely was the culmination of the word play with Beavers and Bush, along with fatigue lol. Eisen even said it when they came back. He said we have been on set for too many hours.
I still to this day crack up everytime I see it. Watching Eisen completely losing it, taking off his glasses and wiping tears from his eyes on air was priceless. And especially when they cut to the commercial break and the camera was off them, but the mics were still live and hearing them laughing uncontrollably.
Simply Awesome.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm
There was a shining light in that draft though, and that was the Willie Beavers pick.
Not because he ended up being a good pick, but the announcement of his name and then the Bears pick made Eisen, Mayock, Jeremiah and Davis to create what has become my funniest draft day moment ever.
Anyone here remember it? On day 3, Esien catching up on picks and he said Minnesota just drafted Willie Beavers ,Tackle. Then Mayock said " I've always been a Beavers guy Rich" . You could here them all snickering.
Then they had a Chicago fan come up and announce the pick. "The Bears select Deion Bush" then u could hear Eisen mutter Oh no and you could hear laughter. They cut to them and Mayock said " Bush first caught my eye at the East West Shrine game " and that was the end of it. Eisen , Jeremiah and Davis were losing it, especially Eisen. He was laughing so hard he was crying. You could hear the producer off stage say cut to commercial cuz they couldn't keep it together.
When they came back Eisen said " If the Colts pick a guy named Johnson we are going off the air"
It was so funny watching them looking like 4 high school kids losing it over the Beavers statement and then the Bush reference.
I still have it on my phone, and I had it on my DVR that was all NFL stuff, but it ended up dying so I lost that .
Is this on YouTube? I don't recall this, wish I saw it. My best Eisen memory was his "punters are people too" rant. That one is on YouTube if you haven't seen it.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:38 pm

Is this on YouTube? I don't recall this, wish I saw it. My best Eisen memory was his "punters are people too" rant. That one is on YouTube if you haven't seen it.
Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAer1BTSpI
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Good job 808vikingsfan. I was gonna try and upload it . Glad u found it. I have watched it so many times and it still cracks me up.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I created a Teddy Bridgewater thread on NFL Talk, but just this one time I will make the same post here.

Two Blurbs found on RotoWorld that are quite significant for Teddy Bridgewater.

Panthers signed WR Robby Anderson, formerly of the Jets, to a two-year, $20 million contract.
Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the deal includes $12 million in 2020. Anderson will be reuniting with coach Matt Rhule, whom he played for at Temple. A field stretcher who can also do work underneath, Anderson unquestionably makes the Panthers better, and will be an upgrade on slow-developing Curtis Samuel opposite D.J. Moore. It is an absolutely atrocious landing spot from a fantasy perspective, however, as Moore and Christian McCaffrey should dominate targets from a conservative Teddy Bridgewater. Anderson will have a hard time upgrading on the WR2/3 limbo he was often stuck in with the Jets.

RELATED: New York Jets
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 24, 2020, 3:37 PM ET

CAM NEWTON
QB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Panthers released QB Cam Newton.
The No. 1 overall pick of the 2011 draft departs Carolina as one of the best players in franchise history. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Newton took and passed a physical on Monday. Newton's past two seasons have been wrecked by foot and shoulder issues. Formerly an iron man, Newton's aggressive style of play has partly caught up with him, though he is only 30 years old. Growing more efficient as a passer in recent years, Newton still provides sky-high upside as a dual-threat. The teams with the biggest need at quarterback are the Chargers and Patriots. The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots do not have "any immediate interest."

RELATED: Carolina Panthers
Mar 24, 2020, 3:24 PM ET
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Yeah from a fantasy perspective it’s not a good spot for Anderson. Bridgewater isn’t going to stretch the field and that’s Anderson’s forte.

As for newton, I’ve just never been a fan. Hell of an athlete but just not a great passer. Someone like the chargers or patriots should show interest at some point. I’m still surprised dalton is unsigned. I know personally, I take dalton any day of the week over Newton. Dalton can sling it but was just never on a very good team. You would think that newton and dalton go to the chargers and patriots. I don’t think either are backup level material yet but neither are top tier starters either
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Sandpounder27
Rookie

Post by Sandpounder27 »

So it looks like we will definitely be looking at WR early in the draft, with Anderson and Perriman signing. Don’t think there is much left in FA at that position.

Any thoughts on why we are clearing cap space? More extensions, or FA target?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Sandpounder27 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:30 pm So it looks like we will definitely be looking at WR early in the draft, with Anderson and Perriman signing. Don’t think there is much left in FA at that position.

Nothing left for FA WRs. Has to be draft or trade.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 pm
Sandpounder27 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:30 pm So it looks like we will definitely be looking at WR early in the draft, with Anderson and Perriman signing. Don’t think there is much left in FA at that position.

Nothing left for FA WRs. Has to be draft or trade.
I wouldn’t mind someone like demarcus Robinson. Regardless we aren’t finding our #2 in free agency. It’s coming in the draft.

Overall, there are still a lot of good bargain players left on the market at many positions. We’ll end up going that route. With limited cap space it’s better to stay put instead of signing the big names. Not only do you have to pay someone like Robby Anderson $12 million a year but it also cancels out compensatory picks the following year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Lots of interesting names still on this list.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-bes ... ts-in-2020
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:02 am Lots of interesting names still on this list.

Yeah definitely still a ton out there. A lot of good bargains
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 am
fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:02 am Lots of interesting names still on this list.

Yeah definitely still a ton out there. A lot of good bargains
Did my reply to this post get deleted? I thought it was very civil just pointing out my belief that the FA WRs were strictly backup material at best.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Found on RotoWorld

Vikings signed DE Anthony Zettel, formerly of the 49ers.
Zettel, 27, will be making his seventh stop since 2016. He started last season with the Bengals before latching on with the Niners just before Christmas. Zettel even played 14 defensive snaps in the Super Bowl. He hasn't recorded a sack since notching 6.5 in 2017 with Detroit.

RELATED: San Francisco 49ers
Mar 25, 2020, 1:42 PM ET
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm Found on RotoWorld

Zettel, 27, will be making his seventh stop since 2016. He started last season with the Bengals before latching on with the Niners just before Christmas. Zettel even played 14 defensive snaps in the Super Bowl. He hasn't recorded a sack since notching 6.5 in 2017 with Detroit.

I do not care for this signing but I guess Vikings needed a back up after losing Griffen
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm Found on RotoWorld

I do not care for this signing but I guess Vikings needed a back up after losing Griffen
I think he can be an adequate backup DE. Replacing Weatherly, but probably not as good.