The Draft Man Crush Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: The Draft Man Crush Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I’m all-in on Denzel Mims.

Only two problems.

1. Our track record for first-round receivers is spotty. For every Randy Moss, there’s a Troy Williamson.

2. This is not a man crush.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 pm The Vikings love size/speed freak athletes. Don't be surprised if they draft Chase Claypool. 6'4 238 pounds runs 4.42 and a 40.5 vert. Only Megatron ever matched those numbers at that size.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-cla ... b9899e5d84
Yeah I definitely like Claypool for a mid round WR. I like Edwards out of South Carolina too. I’ve just never seen a class this good or this deep. So again, if we’re going to ever trade a star WR, this would be the year to do it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 pm I’m all-in on Denzel Mims.

Only two problems.

1. Our track record for first-round receivers is spotty. For every Randy Moss, there’s a Troy Williamson.

I hope not, Mims is going to be a bust in my opinion
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

In my opinion, the type of WR we need to be looking for is either a) superior route runner who can maximize separation, or b) plus athletes who can be schemed open and then make the most of their touches. Kirk isn't going to throw many contested catches and take many chances, so the big bodied WRs who don't get much separation are just going to be invisible and irrelevant on most plays. I'm still researching this draft class and haven't spent much time of WR yet, but those are to two molds of WR that I'd be interested in.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:27 am In my opinion, the type of WR we need to be looking for is either a) superior route runner who can maximize separation, or b) plus athletes who can be schemed open and then make the most of their touches. Kirk isn't going to throw many contested catches and take many chances, so the big bodied WRs who don't get much separation are just going to be invisible and irrelevant on most plays. I'm still researching this draft class and haven't spent much time of WR yet, but those are to two molds of WR that I'd be interested in.
Just about every projected first round WR is a solid route runner this year. But lamb and jeudy are in their own elite class of route running. I know many say don’t chase a WR and wait but I think we’re crazy to not try and move up for lamb or jeudy. Then come back at 25 with CB
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:16 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 pm The Vikings love size/speed freak athletes. Don't be surprised if they draft Chase Claypool. 6'4 238 pounds runs 4.42 and a 40.5 vert. Only Megatron ever matched those numbers at that size.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-cla ... b9899e5d84
Yeah I definitely like Claypool for a mid round WR. I like Edwards out of South Carolina too. I’ve just never seen a class this good or this deep. So again, if we’re going to ever trade a star WR, this would be the year to do it.
I don't think he slides out of the third round and could definitely go in the 2nd. For those interested in taking in depth looks at all the draft picks Chris Simms and NBC sports are doing 25 minutes of analysis on almost every draft prospect on YouTube.
Here is one on potential Vikings QB of the Future Jalen Hurts. He also loves Claypool and considers him a first round talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjXEBLGaQoM
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:53 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:16 am

I don't think he slides out of the third round and could definitely go in the 2nd. For those interested in taking in depth looks at all the draft picks Chris Simms and NBC sports are doing 25 minutes of analysis on almost every draft prospect on YouTube.
Here is one on potential Vikings QB of the Future Jalen Hurts. He also loves Claypool and considers him a first round talent.
So far, I'm liking Jeudy and Reagor the best of the WR prospects I've looked at.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 am
So far, I'm liking Jeudy and Reagor the best of the WR prospects I've looked at.
Jeudy is great. Lamb is great. I hear many that think Justin Jefferson who will likely be available at our pick is great. I will check out Reagor than Jefferson with Simms. I recommend you check out Jefferson and Claypool with Simms if you haven't taken a good look at either yet.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 am

Jeudy is great. Lamb is great. I hear many that think Justin Jefferson who will likely be available at our pick is great. I will check out Reagor than Jefferson with Simms. I recommend you check out Jefferson and Claypool with Simms if you haven't taken a good look at either yet.
I'm going to! thanks for the heads up. I'm not convinced Lamb is the guy yet, but I'll have to watch more.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:06 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 am
I'm going to! thanks for the heads up. I'm not convinced Lamb is the guy yet, but I'll have to watch more.
OOps Simms didn't cover as many prospects as I thought. Nothing on Reagor.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:19 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 pm I’m all-in on Denzel Mims.

Only two problems.

I'm curious as to why you think that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:19 am

I'm curious as to why you think that.
Because players from Baylor did not go on to have a good or great career in the NFL except for Singletary from Bears so I am just skeptical on drafting Baylor players but if Vikings do draft Mims, I really hope he will prove me wrong
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I watch a lot of Horned Frogs Football, so I'm pretty familiar with Reagor. Anyone who wants to look into his tape, I'd recommend looking at his 2018 and 2017 seasons. This past season, TCU played a true freshman at QB and he wasn't much of a thrower until the end of the season.

Reagor's a physical stud: fast, jumps well, and is super dangerous with the ball in his hands. The knock on him, and I think its legit, is that he didn't run a full tree of routes. In fact, I can only think of two different routes he ran.

I have a feeling he might slide a bit. He'd be a sweet pick in the 2nd if we could land him, but part of me would rather have a guy that is a total package. Also, I was super wrong about Josh Doctson, so I'm apparently horrible at predicting NFL success for WRs.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:06 pm

I watch a lot of Horned Frogs Football, so I'm pretty familiar with Reagor. Anyone who wants to look into his tape, I'd recommend looking at his 2018 and 2017 seasons. This past season, TCU played a true freshman at QB and he wasn't much of a thrower until the end of the season.

Reagor's a physical stud: fast, jumps well, and is super dangerous with the ball in his hands. The knock on him, and I think its legit, is that he didn't run a full tree of routes. In fact, I can only think of two different routes he ran.

I have a feeling he might slide a bit. He'd be a sweet pick in the 2nd if we could land him, but part of me would rather have a guy that is a total package. Also, I was super wrong about Josh Doctson, so I'm apparently horrible at predicting NFL success for WRs.
Thanks for the info. It seems to be the universal critique of the guy that he's raw as a route runner, but I think you can scheme him open with motion, crossing routes, screen passes etc. Its not ideal, but I really think Kirk is a QB who can take better advantage of WRs with that skill set than many other QBs, and misses a lot of the potential of guys who are great contested catch guys. He's accurate but he likes to see a guy open before he throws.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Hey I was right with you on both Doctson and Treadwell. Wanted nothing to do with corey Coleman or will fuller. Fuller is solid but can’t ever stay healthy, Coleman sucked and so did doctson and treadwell.

I’ve always said this about treadwell though, I think he would have done a lot better if he didn’t have Thielen and diggs in front of him. If you remember, the start of that 2016 season, they started Thielen and diggs. Most thought Thielen would hold that spot until treadwell was ready but Thielen blew up so fast that treadwell never had a true chance that year. Sure he’s had his opportunities here and there when guys have been hurt but I truly believe he’s “better” than what he showed here. Not saying he’s good to great by any means. Unfortunately, he won’t be able to show a ton in Atlanta with jones and Ridley there but they seem to use a #3 more than we did.

Like I think doctson hit his ceiling because he did have his chance to start and didn’t show much other than being a good red zone target whereas treadwell to me, can do more in the sense of a possession WR and go deep.

I honestly feel bad for treadwell a bit for this reason. It always makes me wonder if Thielen wasn’t here and treadwell started day 1 with diggs and developed some chemistry with Bradford and played full games week after week, how much better he would have been. The only reason treadwell never started is because Thielen came out of nowhere that year and he was playing so well that you couldn’t possibly bench him. And diggs obviously wasn’t getting benched. Many wanted doctson or treadwell that year because we didn’t think we had anyone outside of diggs and sure enough, we had a pro bowler sitting on the roster. Crazy the way everything happened in this regard
-Chazz Palminteri