Diggs Traded

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Diggs Traded

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:23 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 pm

I don't care who the Vikings have at QB, but he needs to have pocket presence and be able to extend plays. Helps the OL and receivers tenfold.

A top 5 paid QB should at least be comfortable climbing the pocket. Kirk isn't.
Whatever he did he did it well enough to be ranked one of the best QBs in the league. Don't worry about his top 5 pay. That will drop to around 10 before his contract is up.
Unless they trade him after this season, the Vikings will have essentially given Cousins the first fully guaranteed 150 million, 5 year deal. With the guarantees, that is a better contract than Rodgers or Wilson currently have, and it is a better contract than Manning, Brady, Brees, Big Ben or any other QB has ever gotten. Even when you factor in the cap increase, it is better.

He might very well live up to his deal, stranger things can happen, but based on his ability to elevate a team so far in his career, he is overpaid.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:23 pm
Whatever he did he did it well enough to be ranked one of the best QBs in the league. Don't worry about his top 5 pay. That will drop to around 10 before his contract is up.
Unless they trade him after this season, the Vikings will have essentially given Cousins the first fully guaranteed 150 million, 5 year deal. With the guarantees, that is a better contract than Rodgers or Wilson currently have, and it is a better contract than Manning, Brady, Brees, Big Ben or any other QB has ever gotten. Even when you factor in the cap increase, it is better.

He might very well live up to his deal, stranger things can happen, but based on his ability to elevate a team so far in his career, he is overpaid.
I will acknowledge he is being paid a lot. If we weren't paying him so much we could add a good piece to the offensive line in FA for example. On the other hand who would be our QB if we weren't paying Cousins so much? Teddy at 21 million a year? Or we could package both our first round picks our 2nd and probably at least one of our third round picks to move up in the draft for Tua. Depending on where Herbert falls to we might be able to move up for him with just our first and second. Probably take a little more than that. I don't have the answer. By keeping Cousins it gives us a quite good QB and allows us to keep all of our draft picks to fix the other areas on cheap rookie contracts. Looking at the big picture I think that is our best option. In the Draft maybe we can get Hurts with a 3rd round pick, but probably not. If a good value shows itself in the draft I hope we do draft a QB.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:10 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 am

I will acknowledge he is being paid a lot. If we weren't paying him so much we could add a good piece to the offensive line in FA for example. On the other hand who would be our QB if we weren't paying Cousins so much? Teddy at 21 million a year? Or we could package both our first round picks our 2nd and probably at least one of our third round picks to move up in the draft for Tua. Depending on where Herbert falls to we might be able to move up for him with just our first and second. Probably take a little more than that. I don't have the answer. By keeping Cousins it gives us a quite good QB and allows us to keep all of our draft picks to fix the other areas on cheap rookie contracts. Looking at the big picture I think that is our best option. In the Draft maybe we can get Hurts with a 3rd round pick, but probably not. If a good value shows itself in the draft I hope we do draft a QB.
It might be our best option at this point. It might be our best option in terms of doing the best we can to compete this year. None of that means the way the Vikings have dealt with Cousins has been wise. The key is not to compound whatever mistakes may have been made. At this point, Kirk is the QB, and it pretty quickly gets boring (to me at least) to focus on what was done and whether it was a mistake. It took me a day or two of disappointment, but now the interesting question is how to try to win with Kirk Cousins at QB, and how to try to build a Superbowl champion from this point moving forward.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:56 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:10 am
It might be our best option at this point. It might be our best option in terms of doing the best we can to compete this year. None of that means the way the Vikings have dealt with Cousins has been wise. The key is not to compound whatever mistakes may have been made. At this point, Kirk is the QB, and it pretty quickly gets boring (to me at least) to focus on what was done and whether it was a mistake. It took me a day or two of disappointment, but now the interesting question is how to try to win with Kirk Cousins at QB, and how to try to build a Superbowl champion from this point moving forward.
We've got a lot of high draft picks this year and next. :govikes: :rock: :banana: :appl:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -on-trade/

Not sure if this is true, but if it is, that timing of the tweet certainly implies Diggs didn't like the Cousins extension.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -on-trade/

Not sure if this is true, but if it is, that timing of the tweet certainly implies Diggs didn't like the Cousins extension.
I just read the article and I didn't get that impression at all. Wanted away from Minnesota yes. If the Vikings didn't extend Cousins that would indicate that Diggs was going to take a significant loss in production. I don't think the Vikings traded Diggs to Buffalo out of spite. I just think they had the best offer and probably the only offer the Vikings would accept. Diggs will be the Man on that teams offense no question about that, but it's going to be difficult for him to put up big stats there.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -on-trade/

I just read the article and I didn't get that impression at all. Wanted away from Minnesota yes. If the Vikings didn't extend Cousins that would indicate that Diggs was going to take a significant loss in production. I don't think the Vikings traded Diggs to Buffalo out of spite. I just think they had the best offer and probably the only offer the Vikings would accept. Diggs will be the Man on that teams offense no question about that, but it's going to be difficult for him to put up big stats there.
It could be coincidence, but his QB gets a massive contract extension and a couple hours later he tweets that he is on his way out the door to get himself traded?

Now, this might not even be an indictment on Cousins, as he might have just saw all the money handed out and was upset he wasn't making close to that.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm
It could be coincidence, but his QB gets a massive contract extension and a couple hours later he tweets that he is on his way out the door to get himself traded?

Now, this might not even be an indictment on Cousins, as he might have just saw all the money handed out and was upset he wasn't making close to that.
Diggs IMO is obviously in it for himself and his stats. Cousins being extended was the best thing possible for his stats. Diggs post coming out shortly after Cousins extension was IMO nothing but a coincidence. YMMV.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Diggs IMO is obviously in it for himself and his stats. Cousins being extended was the best thing possible for his stats. Diggs post coming out shortly after Cousins extension was IMO nothing but a coincidence. YMMV.
Based on what?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 pm
Based on what?
His Diva behavior and it's all about me attitude. If you see it different that's fine. YMMV.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Its hard to say for sure, but Cousins style of QB play leaves a lot of Diggs potential production as merely potential. Not to say Josh Allen will make him look better, but that is beside the point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:58 pm
Its hard to say for sure, but Cousins style of QB play leaves a lot of Diggs potential production as merely potential. Not to say Josh Allen will make him look better, but that is beside the point.
Back to back 1000 yard seasons for Diggs with Cousins. Zero with prior QBs. 2019 particularly strong since we were a running team and Diggs still got over 1100 yards with a 15.7 YPC. I would say Cousins style worked out well for Diggs.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:11 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Back to back 1000 yard seasons for Diggs with Cousins. Zero with prior QBs. 2019 particularly strong since we were a running team and Diggs still got over 1100 yards with a 15.7 YPC. I would say Cousins style worked out well for Diggs.
Those are just numbers in a vacuum. Diggs is one of the best route runner and contested catch WRs in the NFL. Kirk being averse to the 50/50 ball, and preferring to see receivers open before pulling the trigger limits some of Diggs potential production. Whatever Diggs numbers were, there is simply no way around this.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:14 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Those are just numbers in a vacuum. Diggs is one of the best route runner and contested catch WRs in the NFL. Kirk being averse to the 50/50 ball, and preferring to see receivers open before pulling the trigger limits some of Diggs potential production. Whatever Diggs numbers were, there is simply no way around this.
We will see how he fares with Allen this coming season. I'm confident that whether he gets 600 yards or 1600 yards his efficiency will go down.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:14 pm

We will see how he fares with Allen this coming season. I'm confident that whether he gets 600 yards or 1600 yards his efficiency will go down.
Yes, it'll be interesting to see how he does on the bills, but its really and truly beside the point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins