Is Anthony Barr worth his contract?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Is Barr worth his contract?

Yes
42%
No
50%
Too early to tell
8%

Total votes: 12

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Is Anthony Barr worth his contract?

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Just curious about how the forum feels about Barr. I personally think he is almost invisible and way overpaid. I realize Zimmer has forgotten more about defense than I know and remember how he said when Detroit didn't game plan for him they had 11 sacks. I'd just like to see him get more sacks/pressures or otherwise visually impactful plays. Asking Kline and Hunter to restructure and not Barr is crazy to me. Hopefully Capers has some ideas to maximize his skills. Here are the contract details:

https://overthecap.com/player/anthony-barr/2948/
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Is Anthony Barr worth his contract?

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I was very in favor of letting Barr walk last year. I thought Wilson could fill in just fine. Too late now. Hopefully we can use him better going forward. He does have talent.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:03 pm I was very in favor of letting Barr walk last year. I thought Wilson could fill in just fine. Too late now. Hopefully we can use him better going forward. He does have talent.
I'm definitely not a fan of Wilson filling in. Wilson is a good depth piece but that's about it. He really struggles in coverage and can often be out of position vs. the run.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:03 pm I was very in favor of letting Barr walk last year. I thought Wilson could fill in just fine. Too late now. Hopefully we can use him better going forward. He does have talent.
I'm definitely not a fan of Wilson filling in. Wilson is a good depth piece but that's about it. He really struggles in coverage and can often be out of position vs. the run.
Wilson turned out to be not quite as good as I thought. However, if I could turn back time and have the Vikings let Barr go I would still do that.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

No he is not, I do think the NFL should put a new policy that a player or coach are not allowed to changed his mind once signed with a new team so they will not screw teams, I honestly wish Barr did not changed his mind and come back
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I will take Zimmer's word when he says Barr is a key part of his defense.

Zimmer is the one who doesn't have Barr rush the QB. If he doesn't get sacks, it is because that is what Zimmer schemed.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm I will take Zimmer's word when he says Barr is a key part of his defense.

Zimmer is the one who doesn't have Barr rush the QB. If he doesn't get sacks, it is because that is what Zimmer schemed.
Agreed. Pretty sure Barr calls the plays in the huddle and plays a key position in this defense. He did have that one bad year or two but I thought as of late he's been much better. We dont know the ins and outs of this defense but if Zim says he plays an important role and does his job I believe him.

Another one on this defense that might not make splashy plays but does his job is Gedeon. Never do we say, "great play by Gedeon" but if you think about it, do we ever say "terrible play by Gedeon"? No. He's just one of those quiet, hard nosed players that is rarely in the wrong spot.

Not comparing him to Barr by any means just making a point. Barr is definitely more talented and deserves a decent sized contract IMO. And to be honest, I think he and Kendricks play really well together. From college to the pros, having those two together at this point is pretty important if you ask me.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Hell no. He'll show up game 1 then from there on out, it's hit or miss.

Don't like how long they extended Rudolph either.

Both head scratchers.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 pm Hell no. He'll show up game 1 then from there on out, it's hit or miss.

Both head scratchers.
When did they extended Rudolph? Rudolph did have a good year last year and caught the game winning touchdown in the playoffs
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 pm Hell no. He'll show up game 1 then from there on out, it's hit or miss.

Both head scratchers.
When did they extended Rudolph? Rudolph did have a good year last year and caught the game winning touchdown in the playoffs
Last season for 4 years. 4 years was the issue, hence "dont like how long they extended..."

Same as when they re-signed Barr...same context. Follow along...

Me and you are gonna get along greaaatt...
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

And his TD catch was all good...overall production was not. He clearly peaked a few seasons ago. They will surely get Irv involved more now with Diggs out -- and he and Rudy aren't the same player -- but they were way too cash strapped for that, in my opinion. It's proving that now given their roster turnover.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

The fact that he took out Arod for the most of the season makes him deserve an extension. JK in a serious not I think he'salright and shows good leadership. I don't think he's an all pro but he looks to be a jack of all trades in a sort of way. Wasn't Dom Capers with the Packers for years as the DC maybe this team could go 3-4
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

FullWood wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:17 am The fact that he took out Arod for the most of the season makes him deserve an extension. JK in a serious not I think he'salright and shows good leadership. I don't think he's an all pro but he looks to be a jack of all trades in a sort of way. Wasn't Dom Capers with the Packers for years as the DC maybe this team could go 3-4
If he gets plugged in at 3-4 it could be very interesting. Didn't Zimmer run a 3-4 in Dallas or did I make that up?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Based on what I see from Barr, he would not be very good as an edge rusher. He is way too much of a finesse rusher despite his size. He is not physical with contact and often chooses to avoid a blocker, taking himself out of the player, instead of going thru the guy and making the play. I do not doubt that he runs Zimmer's complicated defense, however, I think his skills and impact is easily replaceable at less than his contract.

A guy like KJ Wright would be a much better player at almost half the value.