AJ Epenesa

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Smoot27
Waterboy

AJ Epenesa

Post by Smoot27 »

If Griffen departs in FA, then I wouldn't mind using one of the 1st round picks on Epenesa.

He was once a lock for a top 10 pick but is falling back in many mocks to the later 1st because of his combine results.

The guy dominated numerous NFL level OTs the last two seasons including Austin Jackson in the Holiday Bowl. He can also move inside on passing downs as he did when he dominated the Gophers line in the 2nd half.

The last Hawkeye to fall because of the combine was Thorpe winner Desmond King and he became an All Pro in San Diego last year.

This would solidify the DL and leave 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to address CB, OL and WR.

San Francisco demonstrated what a good front 4 can do and AJ reminds me a lot of Arik Armstead.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: AJ Epenesa

Post by RandyMoss84 »

A big fat no, Vikings biggest need is cornerback, wide receiver, and offensive line
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:30 pm A big fat no, Vikings biggest need is cornerback, wide receiver, and offensive line
I dont like drafting CBs high. I feel like they all stink due to the rules. Best bet is to get plenty of pressure, take away the underneath stuff and let the QB toss ducks up all day.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:30 pm A big fat no, Vikings biggest need is cornerback, wide receiver, and offensive line
Sure those are big needs but if griff doesn’t resign, idk how much confidence I have in Ifeadi taking a lead role just yet. And you can never have enough pass rushers. Look at SF. They had a stud CB but outside of that they didn’t have anything great. But their DL was unstoppable. I would say a legit pass rusher is one of the biggest needs if Everson isn’t back
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Smoot27
Waterboy

Post by Smoot27 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 pm
Sure those are big needs but if griff doesn’t resign, idk how much confidence I have in Ifeadi taking a lead role just yet. And you can never have enough pass rushers. Look at SF. They had a stud CB but outside of that they didn’t have anything great. But their DL was unstoppable. I would say a legit pass rusher is one of the biggest needs if Everson isn’t back
Agreed, and RandyMoss84 is acting like we don't have 4 other picks in the first 3 rounds plus 7 later picks to address CB, WR and OL.

If Everson leaves then DL is a need, and getting another one like Danielle Hunter who can play inside or outside on passing downs in Epenesa would be wise.
Smoot27
Waterboy

Post by Smoot27 »

Here's my 3 round mock thoughts in the event Griffen bolts.

23. Justin Jefferson WR LSU
25. AJ Epenesa DE Iowa
53. Trey Adams OT Washington
89. Solomon Kindley OG Georgia
105. Reggie Robinson CB Tulsa
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I have complete confidence in Odenigbo.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 am I have complete confidence in Odenigbo.
Its a shame we lost Weatherly. He and Odenigbo had different skill sets but both played well.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Smoot27 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:09 pm If Griffen departs in FA, then I wouldn't mind using one of the 1st round picks on Epenesa.

He was once a lock for a top 10 pick but is falling back in many mocks to the later 1st because of his combine results.

The guy dominated numerous NFL level OTs the last two seasons including Austin Jackson in the Holiday Bowl. He can also move inside on passing downs as he did when he dominated the Gophers line in the 2nd half.

The last Hawkeye to fall because of the combine was Thorpe winner Desmond King and he became an All Pro in San Diego last year.

This would solidify the DL and leave 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to address CB, OL and WR.

San Francisco demonstrated what a good front 4 can do and AJ reminds me a lot of Arik Armstead.
With Epenesa, you have to accept what will be his limitations as a pro.

There is no question he's a dynamic playmaker if he's allowed to rush and dictate the pace of the encounter. He will struggle, though, if he's played in space or he has to be more reactive to what the offense is doing. I therefore think he's an incredibly gifted player who is going to struggle as an every-down end as a pro. He will make a lot of highlight reel plays, but those will be offset by some glaring mistakes. It is even possible he'll be targeted specifically to take advantage of those weaknesses.

I wouldn't mind the Vikings drafting a DL in the 1st. If they do go for a DE, my preference would be a high upside guy like Gross-Matos over a guy like Epenesa. I think Matos has the potential to be much more well-rounded.
Smoot27
Waterboy

Post by Smoot27 »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:33 pm
Smoot27 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:09 pm If Griffen departs in FA, then I wouldn't mind using one of the 1st round picks on Epenesa.

There is no question he's a dynamic playmaker if he's allowed to rush and dictate the pace of the encounter. He will struggle, though, if he's played in space or he has to be more reactive to what the offense is doing. I therefore think he's an incredibly gifted player who is going to struggle as an every-down end as a pro. He will make a lot of highlight reel plays, but those will be offset by some glaring mistakes. It is even possible he'll be targeted specifically to take advantage of those weaknesses.

I wouldn't mind the Vikings drafting a DL in the 1st. If they do go for a DE, my preference would be a high upside guy like Gross-Matos over a guy like Epenesa. I think Matos has the potential to be much more well-rounded.

I disagree. I think Epenesa is far more flexible than Gross Matos and can play more DL positions.

He was a great edge rusher but his season PFF grade against the run was superb.

I think he had something like 14 tackles vs Nebraska and he destroyed a potential 1st round pick in Austin Jackson.

PFF is now agreeing with my pick.

"Pro Football Focus believes Epenesa is a fantastic fit for the Vikings defense and Minnesota could snag him in the first round."
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Smoot27 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm
VikingLord wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:33 pm

I disagree. I think Epenesa is far more flexible than Gross Matos and can play more DL positions.

I think he had something like 14 tackles vs Nebraska and he destroyed a potential 1st round pick in Austin Jackson.

"Pro Football Focus believes Epenesa is a fantastic fit for the Vikings defense and Minnesota could snag him in the first round."
It does not mean it is going to happen
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Smoot27 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm

It does not mean it is going to happen
If PFF says it, it must be so. Seems like he would be a good choice. Maybe a notch above Gross-Matos.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Smoot27 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm I disagree. I think Epenesa is far more flexible than Gross Matos and can play more DL positions.

This is very subjective and I admit that, so I'll try to base my statements on something a little more objective using the player profiles at the Walterfootball site - https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020DE.php

That site ranks Matos in front of Epenesa, although to be honest it states neither player really did well at the combine. But I think a few things jumped out at me in reading those profiles.

For Matos, he was played all over the DL this season at Penn. When he played in a classic DE the prior season, he racked up some big numbers.

For Epenesa, he did rack up some impressive performances this year. If he had just done better at the Combine he'd be easily going in the top half of the 1st. But he ran a really slow 40 (a plus 5), and while he certainly can be an impact player, it would have been nice to see more evidence of consistency over his college career. Maybe he's a late bloomer and someone is going to get a steal in the 2nd.

If the Vikings take Epenesa I won't be upset. I am just not convinced he's going to be a consistent impact player at the pro level. To be fair I'm not convinced Matos will either, but of the two I think it's slightly more likely Matos can become that player.
Smoot27
Waterboy

Post by Smoot27 »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:07 am
Smoot27 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm I disagree. I think Epenesa is far more flexible than Gross Matos and can play more DL positions.

This is very subjective and I admit that, so I'll try to base my statements on something a little more objective using the player profiles at the Walterfootball site - https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020DE.php

That site ranks Matos in front of Epenesa, although to be honest it states neither player really did well at the combine. But I think a few things jumped out at me in reading those profiles.

For Matos, he was played all over the DL this season at Penn. When he played in a classic DE the prior season, he racked up some big numbers.

For Epenesa, he did rack up some impressive performances this year. If he had just done better at the Combine he'd be easily going in the top half of the 1st. But he ran a really slow 40 (a plus 5), and while he certainly can be an impact player, it would have been nice to see more evidence of consistency over his college career. Maybe he's a late bloomer and someone is going to get a steal in the 2nd.

If the Vikings take Epenesa I won't be upset. I am just not convinced he's going to be a consistent impact player at the pro level. To be fair I'm not convinced Matos will either, but of the two I think it's slightly more likely Matos can become that player.
What do you mean by consistency?

Epenesa improved every year.

Sacks
Freshman: 4.5
Sophomore: 10.5
Junior: 11.5

Gross-Matos never had more than 9 sacks in a season.

Epenesa also has 20 pounds on Gross-Matos and could play either DE or DT.

Gross-Matos is purely a DE in the NFL.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

As a lifelong Hawkeyes fan, Epenesa is a great player. Teams scheme in every way to not let him beat them and he still produces.
With that said, he was a 5 Star recruit which Iowa rarely ever gets. Normally a 5 Star recruit out of HS is not a late bloomer but more of a finished athlete.
To me, he is a better version of Adrian Clayborn. Is that worth a 1st rder ?
Can play 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT. And being from Iowa, he is a very intelligent football player. Very well coached and prepared.