Top needs in free agency and draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Top needs in free agency and draft

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:06 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:16 pm

Funny. I understood that when you wrote, "Don't be surprised if we get him in the 3rd or possibly even 4th round" that precisely THAT was your expectation. Your second take (2nd and 3rd) seems likely to me.
I was referring to Johnson about not being surprised in the 3rd or 4th. I certainly believe either of those rounds is possible. I think 3rd round is most likely. With Winfield don't be surprised by 2nd or 3rd with 2nd being most likely. I hope I have made my thoughts more clear now.
As clear as a Tuscaloosa night! :whistle:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:56 am
Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:00 pm It's Taladega Nights, btw.
Glad you said it. I was really bummed thinking I somehow missed a sequel for Talledega Nights. I was gonna stab myself in the leg with a fork!!!
It was that important to you? I love it, but wouldn't go that far. :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 am

Glad you said it. I was really bummed thinking I somehow missed a sequel for Talledega Nights. I was gonna stab myself in the leg with a fork!!!
I try to avoid Will Ferrel movies.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am

I try to avoid Will Ferrel movies.
Love Will Ferrell. Have you ever seen "Dick"
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Found these three potential Viking FA targets in back to back to back blurbs on RotoWorld. Haeg signed cheap. Enjoy.

JOE HAEG
T, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Buccaneers signed OL Joe Haeg, formerly of the Colts, to a one-year, $2.3 million contract.
Indianapolis couldn't offer Haeg a starting gig, thus he's out the door. The 2016 fifth-rounder appeared in all 16 games for the Colts last year, playing behind Braden Smith and Mark Glowinski when all were healthy. He has a terrific shot at taking over for free agent RT Demar Dotson as early as Tampa Bay's season opener.

RELATED: Indianapolis Colts
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 20, 2020, 10:10 AM ET

BRESHAD PERRIMAN
WR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Buccaneers could focus on re-signing free agent WR Breshad Perriman.
Fowler writes the Bucs were interested in bringing back their own free agents prior to diving into negotiations with Tom Brady, so it only makes sense the organization would turn its attention to re-signing Perriman. Four months younger than free agent speedster Robby Anderson, 26-year-old Perriman flashed with 5/104.8/1.3 per game in Tampa Bay's last four bouts — his second consecutive December breakout. The 2015 first-rounder's deflated market makes him an intriguing add for any suitors seeking perimeter jets.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Mar 20, 2020, 10:02 AM ET

ROBBY ANDERSON
WR, NEW YORK JETS

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports there's "radio silence" from the entire league on free agent Robby Anderson.
"I’ve made calls to virtually every source I have around the league — agents, executives, personnel people, scouts," Hughes writes. "No one’s heard of any team making a legitimate run at [Anderson]. No one’s heard of any type of salary coming his way." 27 in May, Anderson was expected to be greeted with a flurry of lucrative offers behind Amari Cooper on the open market, but that just hasn't been the case. In fact, the only team that's shown any interest of note remains the Jets. He'll be lucky to land a deal garnering $11 million annually (as opposed to his initial request of $15 million) at this rate.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

:rofl: the best scene in the movie for me.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:39 am Found these three potential Viking FA targets in back to back to back blurbs on RotoWorld. Haeg signed cheap. Enjoy.

JOE HAEG
T, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Buccaneers signed OL Joe Haeg, formerly of the Colts, to a one-year, $2.3 million contract.
Indianapolis couldn't offer Haeg a starting gig, thus he's out the door. The 2016 fifth-rounder appeared in all 16 games for the Colts last year, playing behind Braden Smith and Mark Glowinski when all were healthy. He has a terrific shot at taking over for free agent RT Demar Dotson as early as Tampa Bay's season opener.

RELATED: Indianapolis Colts
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 20, 2020, 10:10 AM ET

BRESHAD PERRIMAN
WR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Buccaneers could focus on re-signing free agent WR Breshad Perriman.
Fowler writes the Bucs were interested in bringing back their own free agents prior to diving into negotiations with Tom Brady, so it only makes sense the organization would turn its attention to re-signing Perriman. Four months younger than free agent speedster Robby Anderson, 26-year-old Perriman flashed with 5/104.8/1.3 per game in Tampa Bay's last four bouts — his second consecutive December breakout. The 2015 first-rounder's deflated market makes him an intriguing add for any suitors seeking perimeter jets.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

ROBBY ANDERSON
WR, NEW YORK JETS

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports there's "radio silence" from the entire league on free agent Robby Anderson.
"I’ve made calls to virtually every source I have around the league — agents, executives, personnel people, scouts," Hughes writes. "No one’s heard of any team making a legitimate run at [Anderson]. No one’s heard of any type of salary coming his way." 27 in May, Anderson was expected to be greeted with a flurry of lucrative offers behind Amari Cooper on the open market, but that just hasn't been the case. In fact, the only team that's shown any interest of note remains the Jets. He'll be lucky to land a deal garnering $11 million annually (as opposed to his initial request of $15 million) at this rate.

SOURCE: The Athletic
I wish the Vikings would go after Perriman.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm half tempted to say they should package their 1st round picks to move up and get Chase Young. Day 1 impact similar or more than Bosa for the Niners.

I'm also fine if they're able to get 2 starters with those picks, even if they dont have the same impact Young would.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:38 pm I'm half tempted to say they should package their 1st round picks to move up and get Chase Young. Day 1 impact similar or more than Bosa for the Niners.

I'm also fine if they're able to get 2 starters with those picks, even if they dont have the same impact Young would.
Yeah and who knows is someone like the Redskins would even take that. I’m more geared towards moving up to like the 15ish range. That wouldn’t cost both firsts either. The few I would really move up for that I think will go in that 10-15 range is WR- Jerry Jeudy, WR- CeeDee Lamb, OG- Tristan Wirfs or DT- Javon Kinlaw. Maybe a few others but those are the big 4 especially when in terms of immediate need for us. We’re also rumored to be looking at OTs hard too. I have a feeling we’re drafting an offensive tackle early and moving Reiff to guard. I like the idea of drafting an offensive tackle early but not moving Reiff to guard. I’d rather just cut him lose at this point. Resigning hill gives you your competition for the rookie left tackle so what good is Reiff at this point. No less they will need to restructure his contract as well. But again, I would understand the move to guard because if we don’t keep him, we are now out 2 starting guards. So would you rather have Reiff and a rookie/Samia at the guard spots or rookie/Samia and maybe another rookie or free agent signing. Reiff sounds like the safer bet but would be an immediate need in 2021
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Guys, what are we going to do with the extra money?!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Dmizzle0 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:37 am Guys, what are we going to do with the extra money?!
I'll bite. We have no extra money unless Harris is released or traded. So as of now any extra money was spent on Pierce and Harris.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:33 pm I’m more geared towards moving up to like the 15ish range. That wouldn’t cost both firsts either. The few I would really move up for that I think will go in that 10-15 range is WR- Jerry Jeudy, WR- CeeDee Lamb, OG- Tristan Wirfs or DT- Javon Kinlaw. Maybe a few others but those are the big 4 especially when in terms of immediate need for us. We’re also rumored to be looking at OTs hard too. I have a feeling we’re drafting an offensive tackle early and moving Reiff to guard. I like the idea of drafting an offensive tackle early but not moving Reiff to guard. I’d rather just cut him lose at this point. Resigning hill gives you your competition for the rookie left tackle so what good is Reiff at this point. No less they will need to restructure his contract as well. But again, I would understand the move to guard because if we don’t keep him, we are now out 2 starting guards. So would you rather have Reiff and a rookie/Samia at the guard spots or rookie/Samia and maybe another rookie or free agent signing. Reiff sounds like the safer bet but would be an immediate need in 2021
I agree, both on the preference for us to move into the 10-15 range with a specific target (I think they're super enamored with Wirfs, personally) and with what you suspect they may try to do with Reiff to G. It would explain their release of Kline, which was a bit of a head-scratcher.

The WRs are super intriguing this year. I think CeeDee Lamb is a sure bet, so I can see why he would go top 10. OTOH, there is so much talent that will go from middle of 1st to the 4th round and there are no guarantees that a guy snagged in the 4th will be any worse than a guy snagged at, say, 22. I think I'd prefer the old Slick Rick shot gun approach here: take guys in the 2nd and 4th or 3rd and 4th/5th. I expect them to target OL and CB in the first, and possibly a DL.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:50 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:33 pm I’m more geared towards moving up to like the 15ish range. That wouldn’t cost both firsts either. The few I would really move up for that I think will go in that 10-15 range is WR- Jerry Jeudy, WR- CeeDee Lamb, OG- Tristan Wirfs or DT- Javon Kinlaw. Maybe a few others but those are the big 4 especially when in terms of immediate need for us. We’re also rumored to be looking at OTs hard too. I have a feeling we’re drafting an offensive tackle early and moving Reiff to guard. I like the idea of drafting an offensive tackle early but not moving Reiff to guard. I’d rather just cut him lose at this point. Resigning hill gives you your competition for the rookie left tackle so what good is Reiff at this point. No less they will need to restructure his contract as well. But again, I would understand the move to guard because if we don’t keep him, we are now out 2 starting guards. So would you rather have Reiff and a rookie/Samia at the guard spots or rookie/Samia and maybe another rookie or free agent signing. Reiff sounds like the safer bet but would be an immediate need in 2021
I agree, both on the preference for us to move into the 10-15 range with a specific target (I think they're super enamored with Wirfs, personally) and with what you suspect they may try to do with Reiff to G. It would explain their release of Kline, which was a bit of a head-scratcher.

The WRs are super intriguing this year. I think CeeDee Lamb is a sure bet, so I can see why he would go top 10. OTOH, there is so much talent that will go from middle of 1st to the 4th round and there are no guarantees that a guy snagged in the 4th will be any worse than a guy snagged at, say, 22. I think I'd prefer the old Slick Rick shot gun approach here: take guys in the 2nd and 4th or 3rd and 4th/5th. I expect them to target OL and CB in the first, and possibly a DL.
As a Sooners fan, I would love to have Lamb!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:38 pm I'm half tempted to say they should package their 1st round picks to move up and get Chase Young. Day 1 impact similar or more than Bosa for the Niners.

Giving up their two 1st round picks is not enough to move up to #2, it would take more than that, I rather see the Vikings stay put and make their choices at #22 and #25, Vikings have a lot of holes to fill so they need the picks
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:49 am
Texas Vike wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:50 am

As a Sooners fan, I would love to have Lamb!
Some see him as the best WR in the draft. Possible he goes top 10, but could slide just a little past that. Hunter's contract was renegotiated so we gained almost 8 million. We possibly can get one more decent FA along with keeping Harris.